Forums

Help › Forums

Question for Computer Experts

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 24 2010 11:33 AM (22 replies)
  • mstrat12
    101 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2010 2:21 PM
    On my laptop at home there is a lag when I use my mouse, resulting in the meter going past center....but on my desktop at work (don't let it get out that I play at work) this doesn't happen. Forgive my ignorance bout computers(you can take shots at me, its ok)....is this normal, are desktops normally better or is my laptop a piece of.......????
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2010 4:58 PM

Are you using a hard wired mouse or wireless on your laptop? If it's wireless plug a USB mouse in and see what happens. I'm on a laptop and got off the wireless mouse for your exact problem.  :-)

• mstrat12
    101 Posts
    Thu, Sep 16 2010 8:30 PM

tried both...same problem

• Bluenose12
    2,101 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 4:21 AM

I have a dual boot system,I have Windows 7 and Windows XP on my home PC.In XP I notice I find it easier to get near or dead on the ding with the R9 driver, on Windows 7,while I can adapt and still play OK it is definitely a bit tougher to get near the ding,I thought too that it might be taking a split second longer for my mouse to react in Windows 7.Is there any reason for this or am I imagining things?

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 4:37 AM

Probably a combination of a lot of things...

Wireless mouse if that's what your using. Wireless connection, might be the biggest difference. And typically laptops just aren't as good a system as one's desktop.

Having a wireless connection of any sort is what I've seen to be a big no-no if you want a smooth game. I've seen some disagree with the importance of a fast connection here, but in my experience seems like it's a requirement above anything else. Hope that helps.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 7:15 AM

I can't imagine how a fast connection would help, seeing as how, when you're taking the shot, everything should be running solely off what is already downloaded and running in the memory of your computer.

There are any number of reasons why one computer would be better than another at WGT, though.  To name a few...

(1) how much junk is running in the background, especially auto-updaters and anti-virus software

(2) mouse type

(2) quality of mouse driver

(3) processor type and whether WGT works better with, say, a two-core high frequency processor, or a four-core processor with a lower frequency (the answer to that is almost assuredly the former)

(4) operating system; certain operating systems are more responsive than others, meaning that they will check more often for input from a device such as a mouse, making the latency not only smaller but also more consistent

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 6:40 PM

CharlemagneRH:
    I can't imagine how a fast connection would help, seeing as how, when you're taking the shot, everything should be running solely off what is already downloaded and running in the memory of your computer.

Well I've seen first hand what a slow connection does on my desktop and my laptop for that matter, vs my good/fast connection. And it's night and day.

I'm aware there are people here that say that there is no communication while the meter is actively coming down. But I just don't believe that to be true.

First I've experienced it as stated above, and second it says it right there for you to see if running on firefox. Guess it depends on what you want to believe.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 8:17 PM

ncviz:

CharlemagneRH:

Well I've seen first hand what a slow connection does on my desktop and my laptop for that matter, vs my good/fast connection. And it's night and day.

I'm aware there are people here that say that there is no communication while the meter is actively coming down. But I just don't believe that to be true.

First I've experienced it as stated above, and second it says it right there for you to see if running on firefox. Guess it depends on what you want to believe.

Out of curiosity, where does it say it in firefox?  Are you talking about the status bar?

For all I know, it might do exactly as you say, but I certainly don't see the need for it.  It could be part of an attempt to stop meter-slowing hacks, but that is the only use that I could come up with for it.

• torch2k
    18 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 8:54 PM

CharlemagneRH:

<snip>

(1) how much junk is running in the background, especially auto-updaters and anti-virus software

<snip>

I'd certainly second this motion.  A long-overdue visit to the Task Manager reminded me what dogs these two classes of apps are for messing with a connection.  Eliminating such greedy processes made my meter smooth as silk.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Sep 17 2010 10:25 PM

Start Menu -> Run

Type in "msconfig" and hit enter.

In there, there is a "start up" tab that allows you to make most of those apps never start at all, so you'll never have to close them through task manager again.

RSS