Forums

Help › Forums

Using the Pitch/Chip shot mode - putting green grid.

Mon, Dec 29 2014 11:07 AM (95 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, May 5 2014 4:39 PM

ScottHope:

LOL. Reminds me of when Link's horse wasn't fast enough to jump the fence in Legend of Zelda.  :-D

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Mon, May 5 2014 4:43 PM

YankeeJim:
    It would just be an overlay so no program is required and if you had the ability to drag and drop the scale you could just position one edge on the hole. The problem would be having the scale be relative to the camera view as far as scaling goes. Not all the aerial shots are at the same altitude so that would  have to be factored in.

I was thinking more along the line of (1) click a spot on the green (say the 65 point), then enter 65.  Click another point on the screen (say the 90 point), then enter 90.  Enter the distance you want and the program returns a scale the size you've requested based on pixels.  You then position the furthest end at the flagstick and then move your marker to the other end.

If it was WGT that was programming this, your idea would be perfect.  They would already know distances plus where you are ... if you enter, say 16 feet left, it could just move the marker to that position for you.  No need for a scale at all.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Mon, May 5 2014 6:17 PM

DaddysKat:

YankeeJim:
    It would just be an overlay so no program is required and if you had the ability to drag and drop the scale you could just position one edge on the hole. The problem would be having the scale be relative to the camera view as far as scaling goes. Not all the aerial shots are at the same altitude so that would  have to be factored in.

I was thinking more along the line of (1) click a spot on the green (say the 65 point), then enter 65.  Click another point on the screen (say the 90 point), then enter 90.  Enter the distance you want and the program returns a scale the size you've requested based on pixels.  You then position the furthest end at the flagstick and then move your marker to the other end.

If it was WGT that was programming this, your idea would be perfect.  They would already know distances plus where you are ... if you enter, say 16 feet left, it could just move the marker to that position for you.  No need for a scale at all.

I'm no programmer, (wow understatement there), but would Pythagoras work? Most greens have 3 distance markers, connect them together to form a triangle and you then get distances. If you ensure you connect them using a right angled triangle you can calculate any missing distances using Pythagoras. From that could you work out the size of the green and then an overlay?

As to different views having different altitudes, that would be a problem but if there are two views that could be a benefit, calculate the size of the green twice as a double check, once you know the size for an overlay moving it off the green wouldn't be a problem (would it?) so long as it was still to scale.

Sorry if this isn't possible, just some brain droppings that occurred after reading your posts. Would be a good money maker for WGT for sure and should be easier for them as they (I hope) would have access to more relevant information.

• LSUFootball
    105 Posts
    Mon, May 5 2014 7:09 PM

Chinajohn:
    but would Pythagoras work? Most greens have 3 distance markers, connect them together to form a triangle and you then get distances. If you ensure you connect them using a right angled triangle you can calculate any missing distances using Pythagoras.

The Pythagorean theorem would allow you to determine the length of each side of the triangle, provided there are at least three distance markers.  The camera angle may distort any derived distances though.

VEM was mentioned earlier in this thread, so I'd just like to LINK to my project whose goal is successfully quantify VEM.  The more people who participate, the larger our sample size will be, and more accurate the results.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Mon, May 5 2014 10:46 PM

Chinajohn:
    As to different views having different altitudes, that would be a problem but if there are two views that could be a benefit, calculate the size of the green twice as a double check, once you know the size for an overlay moving it off the green wouldn't be a problem (would it?) so long as it was still to scale.

Looking at the professor's Aim Pro, if you had something like that and brought up the pitch grid, you could figure out how large the Aim pal is based on the size you get with the pitch grid.  You would have to do some math to figure how many marks you would need to move from there, but that could be easily achieved.

Hey Professor ... wanna share?  I'm sure there are those here that would gift you a sleeve of balls for a copy!

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, May 6 2014 12:08 AM

oneeyedjohn:

Shergar !     you're back

I think he's been back for quite a while John.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, May 6 2014 12:15 AM

And the rest of you, or some of you anyway.   Enough of this over every shot:

More of this please:

BolloxInBruges:

As far as the other stuff I don't use any calculator, spreadsheet, rulers, nadda, just get up and whack it.

We're going to need a 5 minute shot timer at this rate.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Tue, May 6 2014 1:47 AM

MainzMan:

More of this please:

BolloxInBruges:

As far as the other stuff I don't use any calculator, spreadsheet, rulers, nadda, just get up and whack it.

What's the big deal, Mainz ... If I get a shot off in the allotted time, WTF should you care what I do?  

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, May 6 2014 2:58 AM

Meee-ow Kat!

It was meant to be jovial, guess I should have put a smiley at the end of it.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Tue, May 6 2014 3:48 AM

MainzMan:

And the rest of you, or some of you anyway.   Enough of this over every shot:

More of this please:

BolloxInBruges:

I like that show.... where's Penny?

RSS