Tue, Jun 16 2009 11:49 AM (137 replies)
  • ShaunMcClarty
    270 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 5:04 PM

my apologies then

• MikeMangan
    48 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 8:33 PM

For what it's worth I also commented earlier on this thread about Tibbet's 64 and stated that, as fine a player as he is, that he's also enjoying an equipment advantage over the majority of the players on this game. If I'm wrong, then I sincerely apologize.

I personally enjoy the grind of playing Bethpage, the WGT guys have done a great job with the game, though I must admit it's frustrating that on some of the holes there's no way I can reach the fairway (especially No. 6!).

• MikeMangan
    48 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 8:34 PM

I meant No. 5.

• ShaunMcClarty
    270 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 8:39 PM

to reach the fairway on 5, put almost full backspin on your drive, aim all the way to the left at the closest section of the fairway. You can indeed get it there, I do almost every round. You usually can make it on 10 doin the same thing, just aim directly over the walkin strip

• gonzo52
    6 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 11:18 AM

First I would like to say I appreciate the opportunity to "see" & play BETHPAGE but having read a lot of the comments I believe there is a great opportunity to improve the experience.

I agree with the unrealistic club distances, (especially when you rarely get full distance even with a "perfect" swing), detracting from a great challenge at BP. I just shot 73 (previous rounds of 81 & 79), with 22 putts using  the starter set & could have shot 67 at best without  2 mishits & 1-putting all 18 greens. I don`t see where upgraded clubs adding 5% distance would make much, if any, difference in my round.

I would like to see realistic club distances & the more flexibility  to work the ball, draw/fade/high/low. I am short/170lbs/over 55 & hit my driver 280-300+ yds & my PW 145 yds, (yes the new tecnology is a wonderfull thing). As for the course itself the rough should be less forgiving & the greens much faster, ie subtract at least 1.5-2 ft. per inch of downhill break. This is how the Pros will play the course during the Open. Their skill to hit their shots to the best position for the next shot is what allows them to post a good score, (ie correct side of the fairway for best angle to the pin/ below the pin on the green/ etc.)I would be much happier  shooting 81 because " I " played poorly than because I do not have the length to play a 7400 yard course.

• spikel
    100 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 9:43 PM

I agree with everything gonzo just said.

Great post!

• woodard
    7 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 2:24 AM

this course is a joke,who ever set it up apparently has never been on a golf course in their life.jesue christ couldnt reach some of the par4s in 2.

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 7:40 AM

As i play this tourney a little more I'm beginning to figure out that WGT never expected anyone to shoot 64. The course was set up to prevent such things. With such a low score i seriously doubt 156 players meet the cutline. The winning score was probably predicted to be right around 12over. I've attempted to shoot 76 multiple times on here just to make the cut, but can't do it. I GIVE UP.

• spikel
    100 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 11:43 AM

Keep trying, I finally managed to shoot 74 yesterday with standard clubs. You really need the perfect conditions and a lot of luck on the way.

• Gitboxjoe
    1 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 1:22 PM

Well gentlemen my patience has hit it's breaking point. I don't even mind you can't hit the fairway on some or par 4's in 2, granted I hear what your saying my 14 year old nephew can hit a drive 230. It's like playing the US Open with a toddler set. It's the swing glitches, the uneven performances of the clubs, the misreads of the lie. If it's on the fairway but it tells you your in the rough, whats the play there. If this is going to be the type of courses we will be looking forwoard too in the future, then I'm going back to Golden Tee. At least they don't advertise that it's realistic..... See everybody next year, maybe they'll have the glitches fixed by then.

RSS