Confused! please help

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 2 2010 5:04 PM (23 replies)
  • griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 9:29 AM

Yankee Jim:

griff griff:
    Craig, if your that set on getting those Rapture clubs you might want to save only the good rounds and disconnect on the really bad ones.

This is terrible advice, especially from someone that only plays SA. 

Put the time in, Scraig. It goes fast and you'll be in a better position to make a wise club choice when it comes time and you won't be spending 5000 credits to get there. Think of it this way-you learn the courses as an amateur (and turn pro in the middle of it all) and then when you upgrade you will know what you need and will be able to focus on learning your clubs. GL

This advise is for our man scraig, so surely its up to him to decide if he's going to cherry pick his scores to get them Raptures he so desires. I'll send a sleeve of balls to anyone who could put their hand on their heart and say they never disconnected on a really bad round. Everyone doe's it now and again and in some case's all the time.

This guy just wants to have FUN and he knows that getting rid of them crappy clubs and getting him self some pro's is the way to go. He's not learning to drive a car, were its important to go through all the safety steps and techniques, so when he goes out on the road he doesn't kill someone. Were talking pro tier here folks not the master teir, were we all know cherry picking your wat there is ill advised .

As for you YJ, the second time i beat you in the cc tourney ( remember the cc you  destroyed with your charming personality ) you never putted out because you were 2 over par . Most players would consider that unsportsmanlike, i know i did. But the real reason you did it, was to cherry pick your score/average so don't go lecturing ppl about the rights and wrongs of this game.

Also what i do in my own time has nothing to do with you, i'll play where ever i want, i hope you understand that. Now my guess is your going to challenge me to a match on Oakmont, so you can satisfy you super sized ego.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 10:27 AM

griffygriff:
    As for you YJ, the second time i beat you in the cc tourney ( remember the cc you  destroyed with your charming personality ) you never putted out because you were 2 over par .

Hmmm, looks like you want to make this about me, not Craig's OP.

Yes I do remember-that was the match you wouldn't play at BPB because you had never played there. Yes I do remember you crying about it. Some thing's never change.

I go to great lengths to protect my meaningless, middle of the Master road average but get confused trying to decide if I should report those 69's and 70's. Maybe I should not have finished the Open at Oakmont-the one where I posted the worst 2 round score of everybody that played both rounds. 80-77 would have gone a long way to keeping my average close to your spectacular SA average. 

I apologize for reacting to that, Craig. Paper Masters that dispense silly advice do that to me. Stay your course and you will progress rapidly. Kudos for attacking the hardest courses first.  ;-)

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 11:40 AM

Yankee Jim:

griff griff:
    As for you YJ, the second time i beat you in the cc tourney ( remember the cc you  destroyed with your charming personality ) you never putted out because you were 2 over par .

Hmmm, looks like you want to make this about me, not Craig's OP.

Yes I do remember-that was the match you wouldn't play at BPB because you had never played there. Yes I do remember you crying about it. Some thing's never change.

I go to great lengths to protect my meaningless, middle of the Master road average but get confused trying to decide if I should report those 69's and 70's. Maybe I should not have finished the Open at Oakmont-the one where I posted the worst 2 round score of everybody that played both rounds. 80-77 would have gone a long way to keeping my average close to your spectacular SA average. 

I apologize for reacting to that, Craig. Paper Masters that dispense silly advice do that to me. Stay your course and you will progress rapidly. Kudos for attacking the hardest courses first.  ;-)

Lets see  two rounds of nine holes, thats 18 holes. Paper master 6 shots up, real master 6 shots down, showing your a sore loser and a hypocrite........ Priceless.

Please help me YJ decide what courses i should play, i'm really enjoying playing at St Andy's, but if you think its not good for my wgt development please just tell me what to do, so i can have more fun. The wife and i are going out to a bar later, maybe you could pick one that you think we should go to, while your at it.

Doe's anyone else think that cherry picking a few rounds here and there to get to the most exciting level of play (pro) is really bad advise....just wondering

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 11:50 AM

griffygriff:
    Doe's anyone else think that cherry picking a few rounds here and there to get to the most exciting level of play (pro) is really bad advise....just wondering

Yes.   Well, not "really bad" advice.  "Really bad" advice involves cutting off body parts... =)  But it's not really good advice either.

My stance is that if you're having a bad round, solo, and you really just don't want to continue... then don't.  But if you're having a bad round with a group, you have to stick it out... for the groups sake.  

Bottom line... don't try to manipulate your average.  If it goes up it goes up.. if it goes down, it goes down.  Just play the damned game.  =)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 12:15 PM

griffygriff:
    Please help me YJ decide what courses i should play

All of them.

Oh, and btw-did it ever occur to you I threw that match in light of the controversy I inadvertently caused? It was the right thing to do.  :-)

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 12:22 PM

I agree with YJ about playing all the courses but I when I started I played one course over and over one day and then the next day another. It was easier since I wanted to take notes (something everyone who has been playing will recommend) and it was easier to play the same course over and over. Kiawah and SA for me are pretty good learning courses. BP is a bit tough but I am not a fan of that course and avoid it like the plague. Bottom line, DO NOT end a round when you are having a bad round, doing this will come back to haunt you when you start to move to pro and master. GL

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 6:22 AM

griffy, your advice is not good advice, its just advice.  There is probably little harm in cherry picking some rounds to make Pro for the sake of getting Pro clubs, but what if they guy wants to then play tourneys?  Or worse wants the TM Supertri and does the same thing to make master?  The damage is the guy spent real money, and is going to be out of their league, and will probably quit the game in less then 2 weeks.  And we will see his final post "This Game Sucks" on the front of the forums.

What the OP is probably coming across is some frustration of hitting drives 225yd drives, and saw the Rapture in the pro shop for 255yds, thinking wow an extra 30yds.  What you did not explain to the OP is that becoming a Pro in your advice is that the Pro tees are further back than the Amatuer tees and will present more challenges with faster greens.  So the extra 30yds off the tee might only result in a 10-15yds less to the harder/faster greens.  Learning the ropes reduces the risk of game frustration which leads to a more enjoyable gaming experience.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 8:11 AM

Paper Masters LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 9:40 AM

This guys a flustrated amuture who can't wait to spend his credits, he can learn the game if thats whats important to him (and it probably isn't ) when he gets to pro, just like 90% of the rest of us. Some of the advise here is more suited to a player who's a pro trying to get to master, not a amutuer just trying to get some better sticks. The pro level is by far the most excitng teir to play in, and everyone cherry picked a round here and there to get to it. As i said before this is not a driving test, where is it important to learn everything before going out on the road, my advise was just stating the obvious, i couldn't tell him not to cherry pick to the pro tier because that would have made me a hypocrite.

whats with the grandad culture of advise on this site, get in touch with what the OP was all about, he's got credits burning away in his credit box and he wants to have more fun, the pro tier offers nothing but fun ,joy and personal happiness to all who enter it, whether their prepared properly for it or not. The faster greens and extra length of the tee are hardly land mines he should be afraid of. In fact my 2 longest drives where from the pro tees, i did't make one eagle till i got to the pro tier and all my best stats are from the pro tier (although i did get 10 birdies the other day, to add to my paper master resume)

If this guy wants to play in tourneys, i'm sure he'll know when he's ready, just like everyone else did, gentlemen the war is over its 2010, keep in touch with whats going on.Your advise is for pros rushing to get to master and it smells like biscuits to me. The sleeve of balls offer is still good

lots of love Griff  xxxx

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 1:08 PM

who needs to cherry pick to make the pro tier, the average needed is in the high 70's.  If you cannot get yourself out of amateur in the matter of days with the standard equipment, you have no business being in Pro.  Moving any faster then your abilities are ready for only leads to frustrated players that come back with nasty posts, and then threaten to quit for 2 weeks, then quit.  By the OPs post, it is quite clear he doesn't understand the concept of tiers.

RSS