Forums

Help › Forums

Funny Old Place

Tue, Jul 27 2010 8:04 PM (55 replies)
  • PRIESTESS
    10,705 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 3:18 AM

Isnt it funny how when we question WGT about meter issues we get the finger pointed at our graphics or video cards,,But what i fail to understand is why can the meter be PERFECT one day and Rubbish the next,,Do video of graphic cards or sounds cards have Days off?or do they have extended lunch breaks, or do they simply just fail to turn up, or maybe they turn up but fall asleep.:):).And just one more thing, i have 2 computers one of them  is quite new and one is 10 years old a rebuild DELL,optiplex260.the meter on this is unbelievable and the graphics card was last updated when Noah Raised the sails on the Ark.But it lacks power and locks up after 30 mins, so i don't use it,, but for them brief moments the meter is immaculate,HOW FUNNY,

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 5:43 AM

It seems the reason for the stuttering swing meter some experience at WGT.com will be a mystery that will live in infamy.

I will always want to know why WGT would build thee best golf game, ever created online, with thee worst, but most important aspect of the game. The swing meter.  : /

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 5:50 AM

Hi Priestess,

I have a late model computer, with pretty much the latest and greatest - have lotsa memory and I do all the usual things. I have one of the latest graphics cards - and I still see meter spiking, lags etc etc. Oh yeh - I have a real fast link to lol.

I think there has been more posts on this than surely any other single issue in WGT.

I dont think I would be too far out when I say every single player on this site has experienced this issue at one time or another, that says a lot I think. 

I dont think its just WGT, I dont think its just peoples own computers -  it seems so complex to me, but surely the powers that be could have a real good look at it and see if there is anything that can be done to improve things - then maybe we could get some additional advise on how to get over the problem or minimize it.

Just imagine if we could resolve this issue - WOW, how good would this game be then?

Dont forget - let that swing meter pass through a couple of times before each hit - it does work.

Cheers

Doug 

• PRIESTESS
    10,705 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 6:04 AM

Yes its a shame Doug because we love this place so much, that's why it disappoints me so. Maybe because the game is developed under the flash player,we will never have a consistent  smooth meter.a small percentage probably do and good luck to them,

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 6:56 AM

Yes we love this game and assuredly way too much.  If I didn't like it so much I wouldn't get worked up about this.

My dinosaur work computer was just replaced with a brand new Dell Vostro.  Not top of the line but certainly exceeds WGT suggested specs in EVERY category.  Averaging the same old 2-3 meter spikes per nine and meter bounces a ton.  My new computer at home also exceeds suggested specs and reacts much like you described Priestess.  One round it will be nearly flawless, and the next will be almost unplayable.

WGT readily admits that every update makes the game more intensive on our systems, so my question is why do the keep adding stuff like interactive buttons on the gaming screen when they already have the knowledge that the Flash platform in brittle from the word go?  Performance has certainly gotten worse since.  I'd really like to see if WGT would remove said buttons on the next system update just to see if people see any difference.  They could certainly add them back in.  People like Lvietri who used to contend that he never had any meter issues, now admits that he sees some freezes and spikes as well.

Doug,

As for practice swings my personal experience is just the opposite.  With CPU monitor open, I see every practice swing causes spikes in usage.  So if you do take practice swings, you need to wait 5 or 6 seconds before hitting the shot to allow CPU spikes to settle down.  Still this isn't the cure all.  Recently I went to Kiawah 17 at 14 under par.  Took 3 practice swings and the last 2 were smooth as silk.  Waited 10 seconds and committed to hitting it on the next swing.   Of course the meter froze and I dribbled the ball about 80 yards right in the drink.  Such is the world of a WGT addict!

I doubt we'll ever see resolution to meter issues and I'm learning to accept it for what it is these days.  Used to be quite infuriating but now beginning to look at it as an inherent part of the game.

Happy hitting folks!

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 7:25 AM

Meter lag,mmmmmmmmmmmm. I have been using the game booster for a couple of weeks, it cuts the glitch a bit (that my medicated brain can tell). But it doesnt take it all away. A slow swing meter helps, that way you can have a chance not to hit it.

Now if i could beat this bad case of cantfrigginputworthadamnitis 

keep it in the short stuff

G

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 7:49 AM

For the members without issues it would be interesting to learn how their individual computers are configured. 

1. What software they have running in the background.
    2. What services they have on if they are running a windows O/S
    3. Do they use any anti-virus software while running the game
    4. CPU type and speed
    5. amount of Ram, type, latency
    6. O/S
    7. Browser
    8. Video Card
    9. Motherboard
    10. Motherboard chipset

As I said before the list is endless.  Perhaps, WGT should do an experiment and compare the unity player to the flash player.  Just a thought, and determine which gives the best performance.

Computers can exceed minimum spec requirements and still have problems.  This tells me that it is a configuration issue.

Buttons are just that, it does nothing till the user presses it.  The buttons are not checking themselves to see if they are pressed.  It is a window control, and is hooked to the windows API.  When it is pressed then they perform a specified function.

There are so many variations, and determining where the problem areas are, is key to smooth game play.

Anyway,  enough said, my addiction is that I love this game.   Only 100 ranked rounds before I reach 3000. 

Have fun, relax, play well

Shadow.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 8:01 AM

Regarding the meter ... no one said it better than that immortal cartoon character Popeye.

"I am what I am and that's all that I am"

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 8:31 AM

lol bud, not dipping my toe in this pond. JB

• SmokenShadow
    1 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 9:25 AM

Hey Doug I know its a tough one but try not to play with the expanded screen. Every time I do the swing meter goes nutsy. If I stay in the window box it runs smooth. Only problem that I see the window bars on the top and bottom of screen. I'm hoping that WGT is working on this until then happy, calm, centered, no yelling at the pc golf. I know the last part is corney but trying to make this a light subject.

This is from a fairly new player.

Thanks

SM

RSS