Forums

Help › Forums

Cross Wind Calculations

Mon, Jun 27 2022 1:18 AM (109 replies)
  • duffputt
    314 Posts
    Wed, May 6 2015 3:43 AM

One must be exact and for that U can use the circle which make wind calc very precise.

Draw a circle with a vertical an horizontal line from the middle to the edges of the circle.

Make the diameter 10 centimeter for easy calc.

Now pick a point on the circle a la wind direction and make a vertical line down to the horizontal. Then measure the distance in centimeter from the middle point.

Lets say U pick 11.30 o'clock. That will be 2. Meaning 20%

So if you wind speed is 15 mph from 11.30 o'clock it pushes the ball like 0,2*15=3mph pure sidewind.

Here are the percentages:

11.30: 20%

11.00: 40%

10.45: 60%

10.30: 70%

10.00: 80%

09.00: 100%

From here on U can use the rule of aiming 10 feet off pr 10 mph wind pr 100y shot.

But only as main rule.

Spin has a lot to say

Full backspin from fairwayand tee's needs the most sideways aiming.

For shots not hit 100% power the aim factor goes down.

For shots from the rough the aim factor goes down. The more severe rough %'s the less side aiming.

Another example is using the 3-wood. It has less spin than an iron, therefore dont aim quite as much to the side.

Remember at very high wind, the ball will jump to the side, so aim extra out.

Pitch view is useful for aiming but its better to have an onscreen ruler except for the short shots.

DISTANCES:

Use the same circle rules. Meaning wind from 8.30 is 20% of the windspeed.

The U also need to know how distances are affected through the irons.

For a 100% 60y wedge full shot it will be 1 extra yards distance pr 3 mph tailwind.

For a 100% 100y wedge full shot it will be 1 extra yard distance pr. 2 mph tailwind.

When U reach the 4-iron its 1 yard pr 1 mph tailwind.

So if wind is from 7 o'clock 10 mph speed, calculate like 8 mph pure tailwind.

• scottxxy
    77 Posts
    Wed, May 20 2020 8:57 AM

This is great for aiming, but how much does a crossing tailwind assist you? In reverse, how much does a crossing headwind hurt you? Anyone seen that "table"?

Appreciate it-

Scottxxy

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,867 Posts
    Wed, May 20 2020 9:22 AM

scottxxy:
    This is great for aiming, but how much does a crossing tailwind assist you?

This is from my blog. It has pictures too to help show the calculations...

HOW TO CALCULATE ARROW PLACEMENT FOR WIND SPEED

Wind is a big headache for any WGT player. Using the old "Kentucky windage" method is great, if you any not in a hurry to advance beyond Master. (Kentucky windage is the practice of applying a horizontal adjustment of the point of aim for wind without the use of any physical or mechanical adjustments on your club. In other words, making a guess.) I have experimented with a few of the methods recommended by top WGT players, then have come up with the following method. This is my own design, but if there is something similar out there I apologize for not giving proper credit since it would be coincidental, not intentional.

THE PROBLEM: 

If the wind, for example, is 3-5 EAST (E>) and the distance to the pin is 40 yards, your arrow adjustment is not the same as the adjustment you would make if the pin is 140 yards away. Pretty obvious, right? More complicated is...what if the wind is 3-5 SOUTHEAST (SE\|), or 9-11 NORTHWEST (NW|\) ?

How many DIRECTIONS are there? My design uses the 8 listed here. There is NORTH; NORTHEAST; EAST; SOUTHEAST; SOUTH; SOUTHWEST; WEST; and NORTHWEST. Are there 8 others? Does WGT have NNE; ENE; ESE; SSE; SSW; WSW; WNW; NNW? Maybe, but for simplicity sake, and my lack of intelligence, I am only addressing the original 8. Also, how much difference at 140 yards away is the calculation different for NNE and NE? It can't be much, and if it is for you then you don't need to read this (and I'd love hearing from you).

MY DESIGN:

Arbitrarily, I have selected 180 yards as my base. If the distance to the pin is 40 yards, divide 40 by the 180 base (40/180=.22222). Then multiply this amount by the wind. If the wind is 3-5 E>, then multiply the .22222 * 3 (the first number WGT gives for wind on the hole) = .66666. This .66, or 2/3's of a yard, is the amount of yards you move the arrow over to compensate for the wind.

How to view the green to adjust for 2/3's yard: Switch from FULL SWING to CHIP or PITCH, then go to REVERSE VIEW (click on the camera on the lower right of your screen). You now have a view of the green from the flag point of view, and if you click on the arrow, a grid appears. This grid is 1 yard square. As you can see, the flag is in the center of the grid. Moving your arrow over to the middle of the next grid would be 1 full yard so you would have to estimate where .66 would be. Can you be exact? Yes. Use a regular ruler on the screen, or use an online window ruler (see my other blog for download information).

What would the adjustment be if you were 140 yards away? Again the calculation is basically the same. If the distance to the pin is 140 yards, divide 140 by the 180 base (140/180=.77777). Then multiply this amount by the wind. If the wind is 3-5 E>, then multiply the .77777 * 3 (the first number WGT gives for wind on the hole) = 2.33. This 2.33, is the amount of yards you move the arrow over to compensate for the wind. Notice that with the extra yardage the distance from the pin increased proportionally.

Another issue that happens with the increased yardage is the fuzziness of the grid. All the dots and squares become a big blurry mess. This can be easily fixed. Right click just under the hole and click on ZOOM IN. Still not clear? ZOOM IN again...and again if need be. Then you can move the arrow to the grid you select.

How do you adjust the arrow if the wind is from the 4 odd directions (NE; SE; NW; SW) ? Again the calculation is basically the same. If the distance to the pin is 140 yards, divide 140 by the 180 base (140/180=.77777). Then multiply this amount by the wind. If the wind is 3-5 SE \|, then multiply the .77777 * 1.5 ! The 1.5 number is calculated by assuming the wind of "3" is now half (since SE is halfway between S and E. So the calculation is .77777 * 1.5 = 1.17. This 1.17 is the amount of yards you move the arrow over to compensate for the wind.            Also, for NORTH and SOUTH, your calculation ADDS TO your yardage or SUBTRACTS FROM the yardage to the hole. Again the calculation is basically the same. If the distance to the pin is 140 yards, divide 140 by the 180 base (140/180=.77777). Then multiply this amount by the wind. If the wind is 3-5 N /\, then multiply the .77777 * 3 = 2.33. The 2.33 REDUCES the yardage to the hole. It would be 140 yards MINUS 2.33 = 138 yards (rounded up).

I asked a great WGT player how he had such a low "putting average per hole". Their answer was "It's easy, put the ball close to the hole. The closer you are, the less putts you take." Makes sense. Hope this wind tip helps.

• scottxxy
    77 Posts
    Wed, May 20 2020 9:34 AM

Thanks DuFussMcGoo--I'll give it a try! 

Stay Healthy

Scottxxy

Papillion NE

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, May 20 2020 4:09 PM

DuFussMcGoo:

You did great with this thread. 5 Years and still works

• triple000
    220 Posts
    Wed, May 20 2020 11:32 PM

DuFussMcGoo:

scottxxy:

Wind is a big headache for any WGT player. Using the old "Kentucky windage" method is great, if you any not in a hurry to advance beyond Master. (Kentucky windage is the practice of applying a horizontal adjustment of the point of aim for wind without the use of any physical or mechanical adjustments on your club. In other words, making a guess.) I have experimented with a few of the methods recommended by top WGT players, then have come up with the following method. This is my own design, but if there is something similar out there I apologize for not giving proper credit since it would be coincidental, not intentional.

THE PROBLEM: 

If the wind, for example, is 3-5 EAST (E>) and the distance to the pin is 40 yards, your arrow adjustment is not the same as the adjustment you would make if the pin is 140 yards away. Pretty obvious, right? More complicated is...what if the wind is 3-5 SOUTHEAST (SE\|), or 9-11 NORTHWEST (NW|\) ?

How many DIRECTIONS are there? My design uses the 8 listed here. There is NORTH; NORTHEAST; EAST; SOUTHEAST; SOUTH; SOUTHWEST; WEST; and NORTHWEST. Are there 8 others? Does WGT have NNE; ENE; ESE; SSE; SSW; WSW; WNW; NNW? Maybe, but for simplicity sake, and my lack of intelligence, I am only addressing the original 8. Also, how much difference at 140 yards away is the calculation different for NNE and NE? It can't be much, and if it is for you then you don't need to read this (and I'd love hearing from you).

MY DESIGN:

Arbitrarily, I have selected 180 yards as my base. If the distance to the pin is 40 yards, divide 40 by the 180 base (40/180=.22222). Then multiply this amount by the wind. If the wind is 3-5 E>, then multiply the .22222 * 3 (the first number WGT gives for wind on the hole) = .66666. This .66, or 2/3's of a yard, is the amount of yards you move the arrow over to compensate for the wind.

How to view the green to adjust for 2/3's yard: Switch from FULL SWING to CHIP or PITCH, then go to REVERSE VIEW (click on the camera on the lower right of your screen). You now have a view of the green from the flag point of view, and if you click on the arrow, a grid appears. This grid is 1 yard square. As you can see, the flag is in the center of the grid. Moving your arrow over to the middle of the next grid would be 1 full yard so you would have to estimate where .66 would be. Can you be exact? Yes. Use a regular ruler on the screen, or use an online window ruler (see my other blog for download information).

What would the adjustment be if you were 140 yards away? Again the calculation is basically the same. If the distance to the pin is 140 yards, divide 140 by the 180 base (140/180=.77777). Then multiply this amount by the wind. If the wind is 3-5 E>, then multiply the .77777 * 3 (the first number WGT gives for wind on the hole) = 2.33. This 2.33, is the amount of yards you move the arrow over to compensate for the wind. Notice that with the extra yardage the distance from the pin increased proportionally.

Another issue that happens with the increased yardage is the fuzziness of the grid. All the dots and squares become a big blurry mess. This can be easily fixed. Right click just under the hole and click on ZOOM IN. Still not clear? ZOOM IN again...and again if need be. Then you can move the arrow to the grid you select.

How do you adjust the arrow if the wind is from the 4 odd directions (NE; SE; NW; SW) ? Again the calculation is basically the same. If the distance to the pin is 140 yards, divide 140 by the 180 base (140/180=.77777). Then multiply this amount by the wind. If the wind is 3-5 SE \|, then multiply the .77777 * 1.5 ! The 1.5 number is calculated by assuming the wind of "3" is now half (since SE is halfway between S and E. So the calculation is .77777 * 1.5 = 1.17. This 1.17 is the amount of yards you move the arrow over to compensate for the wind.            Also, for NORTH and SOUTH, your calculation ADDS TO your yardage or SUBTRACTS FROM the yardage to the hole. Again the calculation is basically the same. If the distance to the pin is 140 yards, divide 140 by the 180 base (140/180=.77777). Then multiply this amount by the wind. If the wind is 3-5 N /\, then multiply the .77777 * 3 = 2.33. The 2.33 REDUCES the yardage to the hole. It would be 140 yards MINUS 2.33 = 138 yards (rounded up).

I asked a great WGT player how he had such a low "putting average per hole". Their answer was "It's easy, put the ball close to the hole. The closer you are, the less putts you take." Makes sense. Hope this wind tip helps.

I'll wager u don't use a 60sec clock having to do all those calculations..........!!

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Thu, May 21 2020 6:15 AM

DuFussMcGoo:

scottxxy:

THE PROBLEM: 

MY DESIGN:

This is outstanding....but here inlies the major major difference between mobile and a PC player.  If you play on an ipad, you cannot zoom in.  You cannot double click, and you certainly do not have a ruler.  Often times, your chip view in reverse is just a blob box of red and blue lines.  

• HUGH65s
    37 Posts
    Thu, May 21 2020 9:45 AM

Hi pdiehm

I also play mobile on an ipad. There is a zoom feature that can be set up in your settings. 

I have found this a real bonus when reading dots speeds etc.

Here is the link for setting up.

https://www.lifewire.com/zoom-in-and-out-on-ipad-4103821

Hope this helps 

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Thu, May 21 2020 10:13 AM

pdiehm:
    This is outstanding....but here inlies the major major difference between mobile and a PC player.  If you play on an ipad, you cannot zoom in.  You cannot double click, and you certainly do not have a ruler.  Often times, your chip view in reverse is just a blob box of red and blue lines.  

I could not play mobile, I play the new app though.

Once I found out how to make the screen smaller so I can use my mapped clubs chart and Ruler. I was fine after that

• MGB01
    1,469 Posts
    Thu, May 21 2020 11:04 AM

sidewinds .....i created a simple chart that is accurate it was configurated with ding shots....nuetral spin....numbers are in yards

10 wind 15 wind 20 wind 25wind 30wind

200 18 30 42 45 55

190 17 25 38 39 50

180 16 24 36 36 45

170 15 21 35 36 41

160 15 20 33 34 41

150 14 20 32 33 39

140 14 19 28 33 39

130 14 19 26 28 39

120 13 18 25 26 38

110 13 18 24 25 37

100 12 15 24 25 34