Forums

Help › Forums

Is My Video Card Running Out of Gas?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 12 2010 8:37 PM (22 replies)
  • VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 7:24 PM

More memory is almost always your best bang for the buck in overall performance - reading data from memory is simply the fastest way to get at the data. If you are the 64 bit version of xp, the sky (well, actually your motherboard) is the limit. If you have the 32-bit version, 2Gb is about all it can handle, and won't recognize more.

If you are unsure of which version you have, you can almost bet it is 32-bit - but if you want to check for sure:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 8:35 PM

Hi Warren;

The motherboard you specified does support AGP8x.  Nice video card by the way.  The card also supports adobe flash 10.1.  

XP only recognizes 3 gigabytes of ram, adding another 2 gigabytes is not required since your system has 2 gigabytes of ram.  

Have fun and play well

Infinito

• Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 9:33 PM

Thanks Inf.

Warren

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 10:33 PM

Hey Inf,

I have 3.25GB showing on my other PC.  Does it recognize it, but just not utilize it?

• Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:08 PM

Infinito3010:

XP only recognizes 3 gigabytes of ram, adding another 2 gigabytes is not required since your system has 2 gigabytes of ram.  

...and I always thought XP only recognized 2 gigs.

Warren

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sun, Jul 4 2010 2:54 AM

Tresclub:

Infinito3010:

...and I always thought XP only recognized 2 gigs.

Warren

It's 'kinda' both, lol (link)

"However, systems booted /PAE can support up to 64GB physical memory. A 32-bit process can "use" large amounts of memory via AWE (address windowing extension) functions. This means that they must map views of the physical memory they allocate into their 2GB virtual address space. Essentially, they can only use 2GB of memory at a time."

And an oldie, but a goodie: (link)

This one most likely addresses your question, Niv

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sun, Jul 4 2010 10:12 PM

4 gig of ram on XP

It is an O/S oddity, the bios will correctly report 4 gig of ram, the operating system can only utilitlize 3 gig of ram, and the other gig of ram is being used by the bios and pci devices.

The physical address space is used to address more than just RAM. It is also used to address all of the memory and some of the registers presented by devices. Consequently, if a machine is configured with the maximum amount of physical memory, some of that memory will be unusable because some of the physical address space is mapped for other uses.

Increasing workstation performance and RAM affordability have enabled more and more users to push the limits of 32-bit computing. RAM allocation when using Microsoft Windows XP Professional on x86-based computers. Specifically, the 32-bit version of XP Professional limits available RAM to noticeably less than 4 GB while Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition eliminates this barrier.
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional, designed as a 32-bit OS, supports an address range of up to 4 GB for virtual memory addresses and up to 4 GB for physical memory addresses. Because the physical memory addresses are sub-divided to manage both the computer’s PCI memory address range (also known as MMIO) and RAM, the amount of available RAM is always less than 4 GB.

The PCI memory addresses starting down from 4 GB are used for things like the BIOS, IO cards, networking, PCI hubs, bus bridges, PCI-Express, and video/graphics cards. The BIOS takes up about 512 KB starting from the very top address. Then each of the other items mentioned are allocated address ranges below the BIOS range. The largest block of addresses is allocated for today’s high performance graphics cards which need addresses for at least the amount of memory on the graphics card. The net result is that a high performance x86-based computer may allocate 512 MB to more than 1 GB for the PCI memory address range before any RAM (physical user memory) addresses are allocated.

RAM starts from address 0. The BIOS allocates RAM from 0 up to the bottom of the PCI memory addresses mentioned above, typically limiting available RAM to between 3 GB and 3.4 GB.

Thus, it is your bios and pci devices that are mapped to your physical ram that limits the amount of usuable ram to XP o/s. 

Slightly long winded, using two approaches, I hope that clears things up.

• Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Mon, Jul 12 2010 1:37 PM

Got the new Radeon HD 4670 video card installed.  In terms of viewing/playing this game, is there a particular display setting that is better than the 1024x768 that I am running now?  I could go a lot higher, but I'm on a 17" monitor at the moment.  I realize that seeing is in the eye of the beholder.

Warren

• shortstroke25
    116 Posts
    Mon, Jul 12 2010 3:06 PM

go with display max resolution should work fine mine is wide screen 1440x900   19"

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jul 12 2010 3:38 PM

Hey Warren-Is there a difference from what you originally posted about in the "tired..." thread?

RSS