Forums

Help › Forums

Is My Video Card Running Out of Gas?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 12 2010 8:37 PM (22 replies)
  • Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2010 11:28 PM

I have a P4 3.20Ghz pc, with 2gb of SDRAM, on an Asus P4P800-E mb.  So, I think I have plenty of pc.  On the other hand, I am not so sure about my video card.  It is an old Radeon 8500 (circa 2002), with only 64MB of DDR memory.  The card works fine exept in certain instances in the WGT golf game.  I have never changed video drivers.  The driver is from ATI, 2/21/2006, v8.231.0.0.

After a shot, when the picture turns around (if it turns around at all), the graphics begin to look like stop-action photography, or like watching an old 8mm home movie, dit-dit-dit-dit-dit-dit.  This is not an infrequent occurance, but rather I see this most of the time.  It doesn't bother the swing meter, as my meter is generally pretty smooth, with only an occaisional burp.

I'm wondering what effect, if any, an inexpensive upgraded video would have on my graphics display?  btw, my mb does not support PCI Express cards.  I have been looking at the ATI FireMV 2260 100-505529.

Ideas, thoughts?

Warren

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 4:50 AM

LOL Warren. In my o pinon .If your meter is pretty smooth don't change a thing.:)

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 5:21 AM

PRIESTESS:

LOL Warren. In my o pinon .If your meter is pretty smooth don't change a thing.:)

meter meter meter, thats the key

• Darren468
    7 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 5:27 AM

Try lowering your screen resolution. If it's set too big it can cause a stutter too. It worked a bit better for me .

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 7:36 AM

gsoup:
    meter meter meter, thats the key

Ah, yes, BUT what if he's used to a so-so meter and thinks it's ok? Swapping out a video card is very simple and I'd be willing to bet with an updated video card a lot more than the jerky graphics improves. 

Give it a try, Warren. Maybe then you can show Harve something!     ;-)

• Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 9:27 AM

It'll take a whole lot more than  a new video card for me to be able show Harve something.  LOL

Warren

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 11:50 AM

Hi Warren,

It's possible the card could be on the fritz.  There are some testing programs on the internet you can download to measure the card's performance.  A Google search should yield quite a few results.

You should definitely upgrade your video card drivers.  New drivers take advantage of the video card's abilities to process and handle the information more efficiently.  Many times just upgrading your video drivers will make a pretty big difference in your performance overall.

Also, I don't believe that particular video card is supported by the newest Flash version (10.1), so you might actually have better luck rolling back to Flash 10.0 if you've upgraded to 10.1 already.

Inexpensive video card solutions can be difficult.  Some are great for a budget price and some really aren't.  Your best bet is to do some research on Google.  Video card benchmark research is always published.  Check it out for the cards you are interested in and see how they test running the latest and greatest games.  Before you do any of that though, I would upgrade your drivers first.

• Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 3:21 PM

Thanks a lot Niv for all the info and suggestions.  And thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.

Warren

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 3:29 PM

Very Nice answer Niv,

• Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 6:36 PM

Someone suggested adding two more gigs of memory. Still not sure about adding more memory.  Running WinXP, not sure that would make a difference.  

OK,  Got my ATI drivers updated from 8.231.0.0 to 8.252.0.0.  Driver update doesn't seem to have made a whole lotta of difference in the stop-action graphics.  

Still looking at this HIS card:  

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6076197&CatId=2234

Warren

RSS