Help › Forums

It's Not Even Fair nor Realistic

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 27 2010 11:10 AM (45 replies)
  • TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 12:47 AM

Olds24:

Playing with purchased clubs and balls...

...for folks like me that play a lot, but can't cash out due to the **** that is this game in reference to not being able to purchase proper equipment due to level status, than at least make it impossible for those who seem to fire 15 under par on the worlds most difficult courses.  

0_o

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 6:46 AM

Unsure of who said this first as there is mention of Palmer, Watson and Player, but the way I first heard it:

In response to a snooty question by a uneducated reporter about getting "LUCKY" on a shot  "Its funny, the more I practice, the luckier I get"

Nice try OP.  I guess the guys shooting sub 10 under rounds are just the luckiest people I know.  Practice, hand-eye-coordination, timing, and course knowledge have absolutely nothing to with it.

• MizzBowhunter
    153 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 7:35 AM

Although I don't believe in the examples this person was using, I am on board with the feeling of disappointment when I shoot a -4 on one of the worlds hardest courses only to find out the leader shot a -12.  I mean, come on.  And I do believe that with the issuence of new club options, the older clubs became less forgiving.  It is subtle, but those of us who play with irractic swing meters depend on that forgiveness.  Courses that I shot -6 on routinely months ago, are now struggles to shoot -4.  That to me seems like a marketing "bug." 

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:22 PM

Not a poke at anyone here so let's not get flamed please , but  "Months ago" , we did not have  very fast or tournament speeds on our greens , nor were we facing (at times) 25 to 30 mph. winds.  Adjustments have to be made. I have heard the phrase   "Well , on any of the other courses"   and  "if this were any other course"   used several times on these types of conversations. Until other course conditions and the way they have played in the past is gone from your mind set , you never will adjust to it.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 6:53 PM

DAT'S RIGHT! ...PREACH IT GIRL!!!...lol

Now who's the man?...lol

You go girl...

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 10:45 PM

It is obvious. WGT has made a move toward the identification of increased difficulty vs player success. It has been most applied to the greens, the speed of them and the enhancement of break as it relates to the speed. This is all very good and better players will adjust, or not. The problem WGT has always had, and has expanded on this problem, is in the ability for any player, in any tier, to be able to read any green here with the direct simplicity of reading a green like in the real game. This is an issue that must be addressed and corrected at once. Why should anyone have to figure out a putt, one view though  the A$$, the other over water, while they can get several different looks from zoom from the fairway or 5 selections of view from a saved replay. If you wish to make this a miniature putt-putt, allow us to line up the Windmill from several views. Oh, and put it first on your list, if you are as smart as you think you are, you will be pleased to accept my free advice. Pay attention!  

• cappy123
    39 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 11:36 PM

I AGREE WITH YOU IT HAS BEEN THE WORST EXPERIENCE BALLS, WIND, DROP ZONES, ARE ALL A LITTLE TO UNREALISTIC,AND THE PEOPLE WHO ALL HAVE TO STICK UP FOR THIS SITE LIKE THEY DONT EXPERIENCE THIS STUFF PISS ME OFF TOO GO SCREW YOURSELF YA BROWNNOSERS WHATA R U WANNA BE PGA`S

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 5:11 AM

SweetiePie:
    It is obvious. WGT has made a move toward the identification of increased difficulty vs player success.

I realize this isn't the gist of your post, SP, but it sure brings to mind all that VEM conversation back when. 

You are dead on with the view snags. Nothing worse that having to see how a 3 ft putt is breaking from 100 yards away because the lake is in the way or trying to figure out the break from a 30 degree angle to it. I'm sure it won't change so we all get to deal with it but it's nice to keep harping on it-it might.  :-)

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 5:25 AM

I feel the game is right where it needs to be, and it's only going to get better. There's nothing easy about real life golf, and this game shouldn't be any different; whether it be tournament, or weekly stroke play. It's not the game causing great scores, or the bad ones either. Enjoy.   : )

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 5:34 AM

Olds24:

Been playing this for quite some time now. Can shoot well under par on St. Andrews and Kiawah and the front 9 on Bethpage. Playing with purchased clubs and balls. The fact of the matter is that unless you are extremely lucky with clubs that you are "allowed" to purchase, you can't post solid numbers on the other courses.

Clubs don't go the yardage stated (and yes that is with wind calculated into the swing), putting spin on the ball does minimal good and delicate chips don't even get to the green due to some bug.

Hole 14 (I think this is the one on Bethpage) is not even par-able typically unless you have  20 mph wind behind you and drive the ball to a point where you can hit a wedge. Otherwise, it's impossible. If i have a 7 iron in my hand every day of the week from 165 uphill I will at least reach the green in a real outside golf day. In this game, you barely make it over the bunker and have to pray your chip, flop or regular hit goes as far as it tells you it will (yes...rough taken into equation).

It's a great game, in theory, but too many "unrealistic" things for me to pass along to people to try out let alone get addicted.

It's also not realistic when folks can fire 52's to 59's all day, everyday. If you are going to make it unrealistic and impossible for folks like me that play a lot, but can't cash out due to the **** that is this game in reference to not being able to purchase proper equipment due to level status, than at least make it impossible for those who seem to fire 15 under par on the worlds most difficult courses.  

I'd hate to ruin your rant but I made it to a 67 average with starter clubs, I posted all my scores too (except for one in the quailifier).  My average is 69 now since I switched equipment the learning curve was harsh to me.  So it's entirely possible to shot under par with the starter clubs. And yes even on BPB back nine... So my point is if i can shoot that low with starter clubs then wh are you complaining with the added forgiveness and distance you got with your purchased clubs? This sounds like a good time for a famous saying "it's the player not the equipment."  Just my two cents

-King

RSS