Forums

Help › Forums

Why we hate Soccer and the World Cup...

Fri, Jun 25 2010 9:16 PM (73 replies)
  • griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 4:55 AM

griff griff:

Btw the above post is meant to be a funny, note the lack of sarcasm. Just trying to lighten up this thread a bit.

edit... ment

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 5:01 AM

IvaThongon:
    The one thing soccer has going for it, and is probably the reason it is so big throughout the world, is that it is cheap. You need something round to kick, and two goal posts to shoot between. Poverty stricken countries can play and even excel.

As proof of this at the end of the horror flick Hostel the kids in the town were playing soccer with the severed head of one of the female baddies! Nice.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 5:03 AM

griffygriff:

Btw the above post is meant to be a funny, note the lack of sarcasm. Just trying to lighten up this thread a bit.

Your description of the American football broadcast was pretty much spot on.

• HoleItSucker
    53 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 5:16 AM

Snaikerz,

You are exactly right.  It comes down to money.  That explains why soccer is a (pardon the expression) flop in the U.S.  Living in a capitalistic USA culture has its advantages- money- and disadvantages- a complete disregard for the world's most popular sport.

My problem with the largely weak US soccer following is this: it perpetuates the notion that Americans are self-centered, money-chasing, insulated-from-the-rest-of-the-world, imperialistic knuckle heads. 

I'd also say that our lack of interest in soccer results from a disparity betweeen nationalism and sport.  A good example of this is: the Olympics.  Apollo Anton Ohno and Micheal Phelps disappear from our memory a few days after the closing ceremonies.  They aren't national icons after the Olympics. 

It's my observation that, in European, South American, Latin American, and African countries, its football players are national icons, and thus an inseparable link between nationalism and sport is forged.

This link explains the rotten fruit thrown at Italian players upon their return to Italy after their loss to the North Koreans in a World Cup match some years ago.  That explains why the French team needed a full security detail to guard them when they walked into the airport this week after their embarrassing showing at the WC.  It explians why French president Nikolas Sarkozy sent a private car to pick up Theirry Henry and take him straight to Sarkozy's office. 

I don't think we'll ever have that link in the United States.  Nor do I think soccer will ever become a lasting passion.  But who are we kidding?  America is certainly not the home of long-term committment in much of anything, let alone soccer.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 5:38 AM

HoleItSucker:
    But who are we kidding?  America is certainly not the home of long-term committment in much of anything, let alone soccer.

WOW   you could be the next president of the United States!   We all know       all you have to do, like Obama,  is apoligize for being an american and the world loves ya, I for one dont apologize for  not being commited to soccer. We have 4 major and multiple minor sports to root for why add another that is boring to watch 90% of the time.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 5:56 AM

HoleItSucker:
    America is certainly not the home of long-term committment in much of anything,

Yeah, I hear ya...We are kind of committed to GOD, even the poor people in this countrty are FAT...Thats sort of what He said...If we believe in Him then we can have whatever we want in abundance...

HoleItSucker:
    European, South American, Latin American, and African countries, its football players are national icons, and thus an inseparable link between nationalism and sport is forged.

That might just be what they're problem is...They're worshipping the wrong thing...Man...Well, what they call  men anyway...

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 7:18 AM

HoleItSucker:

Sneakerz,

You are exactly right.  It comes down to money.  That explains why soccer is a (pardon the expression) flop in the U.S.  Living in a capitalistic USA culture has its advantages- money- and disadvantages- a complete disregard for the world's most popular sport.

My problem with the largely weak US soccer following is this: it perpetuates the notion that Americans are self-centered, money-chasing, insulated-from-the-rest-of-the-world, imperialistic knuckle heads. 

I'd also say that our lack of interest in soccer results from a disparity between nationalism and sport.  A good example of this is: the Olympics.  Apollo Anton Ohno and Micheal Phelps disappear from our memory a few days after the closing ceremonies.  They aren't national icons after the Olympics. 

It's my observation that, in European, South American, Latin American, and African countries, its football players are national icons, and thus an inseparable link between nationalism and sport is forged.

This link explains the rotten fruit thrown at Italian players upon their return to Italy after their loss to the North Koreans in a World Cup match some years ago.  That explains why the French team needed a full security detail to guard them when they walked into the airport this week after their embarrassing showing at the WC.  It explains why French president Nikolas Sarkozy sent a private car to pick up Thierry Henry and take him straight to Sarkozy's office. 

I don't think we'll ever have that link in the United States.  Nor do I think soccer will ever become a lasting passion.  But who are we kidding?  America is certainly not the home of long-term commitment in much of anything, let alone soccer.

WOW, what a well thought out post, you make me proud to be an American. Please spoil us with some more of your intellect and put your 2cents in on other posts, well done Holeitsucker very refreshing.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 9:45 AM

HoleItSucker:

Donovan's goal pretty much will add over $10 million in endorsements to his bank account etc.  If he decides to play in Europe next year the American team he plays for now will gain that much if not more via payment from the European team. (think Japanese Baseball here) 

HoleItSucker:

I'd also say that our lack of interest in soccer results from a disparity betweeen nationalism and sport.  A good example of this is: the Olympics.  Apollo Anton Ohno and Micheal Phelps disappear from our memory a few days after the closing ceremonies.  They aren't national icons after the Olympics.   

Understandable since the sports they compete in are seldom shown on or in any national media before or after the Olympics.  Perhaps these national icons you remember...Jim Thorpe, Jesse Owens, Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan  ...lets not forget Muhammad Ali, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Pick any great Yankee player, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Lance Armstrong, Tiger Woods, Mia Hamm, Landon Donovan, Shaun White, Joe Montana...and on and on. 

HoleItSucker:

Nor do I think soccer will ever become a lasting passion.  But who are we kidding?  America is certainly not the home of long-term committment in much of anything, let alone soccer.

What team caused a National sensation by beating England in the World Cup 60 years ago..........USA….USA…USA.

US Soccer's passion trajectory will continue to rise especially with what happened this past Wednesday.

Now let me get back to throwing rotten fruit at my beloved Cleveland teams….

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 11:37 AM

I was reading an article the other day and the guy who penned it was suggesting that the big 4 sports in the states have had to change their rules over the years in order to incorporate advertising and the much needed $ that it brings. But its a hard sell to rest of the world when there's a lot more adverts than action. Having said that the last 4 generations of japanese have grown up with baseball and they don't seem to mind the constant bombardment of adverts.

Its funny before the usa hosted the world cup in 1994, they had requested to FIFA, that putting  a short break  either side of half time would generate x amount of income and would they consider it, of course FIFA must have had a laugh that day. To me that's sad in some ways that the money was more important than keeping the integrate of the game. 

I think a lot of the sporting world don't like the so called made for tv sports purley for that reason their made for tv and the sport it self has been compromised.

I for one  wouldn't watch soccer if there was 1 minute of play to every 4 minutes of adverts, but retrospect can you imagine how brilliant american football you be with out all the stopagers.

For all you soccer haters out there check out the USA's game  against Gahna on saturday and check the tv ratings afterwoods and then go check the meaning of the  word...... WE.

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 11:54 AM

edit   afterwards

RSS