Forums

Help › Forums

Why we hate Soccer and the World Cup...

Fri, Jun 25 2010 9:16 PM (73 replies)
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 1:22 PM

In the recent threads about the World Cup, I have made my feelings on Soccer/Futbol very clear....  While perusing the forums today I came across something written in September of last year that seems to fit into today's World Cup discussion perfectly.

So, if you will allow me to reprint from this thread:

Soccer?  Trust Faterson to go completely off topic on this...  but, since he did, let me explain a little bit about most American's view of soccer...

In a nutshell, and to be rather blunt, it sucks.  It sucks because we, as a nation, suck at it.

Now there are many reasons for that.  Primarily, in the USA soccer will always be a second (or even third) tier sport.  Our best athletes are not playing soccer... they are playing football (American), baseball, basketball and some hockey.   These are the glamour sports.  Our heroes played them, and until recently (maybe the last 20 years) we grew up playing them.  Soccer as a youth sport has not been around here that long.  When talent is recognized in America's youth today it is channeled and funneled into the most lucrative sports we know... Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey.  Lets not forget auto racing, golf and tennis...

The reason?  Plain and simple - Money. 

With endorsements, the highest paid soccer player in the world is Beckham (even though he failed miserably with the LA Galaxy... 5 goals in 30 games?)  The only athletes to pull in more, salary and endorsements, than your highest paid soccer star are a golfer, a formula one driver and 2 basketball players, one of which is retired.  Retired!!  With the exception of Eldrick Woods, Michael Jordan makes more in endorsements than any living player of any sport in any country.

Even Forbes notes that Beckham is "far from the best player on the pitch", but he is the most recognizable.  Therefore pulling large endorsements.  No 'soccer' skill in that, is there?  Tiger Woods IS the best golfer in the world.  Michael Jordan WAS the best NBA player in the world.  Kobe Bryant IS the best NBA player in the world.  The fourth person to make more than Beckham is Kimi Raikkonen, Formula 1 driver.

Lets continue down the list...

Tied at #6 LeBron James, NBA ... (If Kobe is 1, then LeBron is 1A) --  Phil Mickelson, PGA --  Manny Pacquiao, Boxing

#9 Valentino Rossi, MotoGP and #10 Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Auto Racing (NASCAR)

These are very, very skilled individuals who excel at their sport first, and pull endorsement money as a result of their skills... unlike Beckham.

As a matter of fact, to round out the top 20 we have Tennis, NBA, Baseball, Golf, NBA, NASCAR, Baseball and finally, Soccer, again.

(To be fair, there is not one NFL player in this list.  The highest paid NFL player would rank just under number 20 because of the salary cap instituted by their league.)

So, you see it's very simple.  We don't like soccer because we don't PLAY soccer.  It's not our idea of a 'sport'.  Sure, the kids can run around and have their youth leagues... that just gives the little brats something to do after school and in the summer.  They will lose interest soon enough.  Most Americans do.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 5:38 PM

Took  forever   but  finally  I am in total agreement with  the snaike.

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 9:25 PM

Having played soccer in my younger days I know one thing for sure;

It's not for the weak at heart. 

Sure in American football you have to play a few downs. Then you get to sit on the sidelines and rest while your offense/defense does the work. In baseball the most running you do is usually 90 ft at a time with huge intervals.

Even in Basketball players are often given time to rest.

Snaike.. or anyone else that criticizes soccer should try playing it and see if they don't drop dead of heart failure. lol. You have to be VERY conditioned.

Anyway.. as i've previously stated.. I think soccer is boring to watch and boring to play.. aside from that opinion it is a game that requires extraordinary physical conditioning and cardiovascular endurance.

• rockinroland
    214 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 12:28 AM

not big on soccer mainly because I cant use my hands to catch the ball (goalies excluded) and have two left feet. But I'm pretty sure they dont play the whole game,start to finish w/o subs. I know for sure they dont play three to four games in as many days get one day off and do it again, over a period of months . to imply soccer players are in better shape because the game requires it is simply not true. each sport has it stars. about the only player I can name in soccer is pele' . I dont think it has to do with endorsments I think it the game its' self. ALLOW THEM TO FIGHT LIKE HOCKEY AND WATCH IT SOAR IN THE U.S. 

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 6:21 AM
  • griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 7:19 AM

I am not here to argue with peoples opinions, only to state some facts. The soccer match between the USA and England (the first of a possible 7) drew a US tv audience of 14.5 million. The average US tv audience for the first 5 NBA final games was 16.2.  

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 8:41 AM

nice to see your players showin a bit of heart....even though u lot dont...

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 10:27 AM

griffygriff:

I am not here to argue with peoples opinions, only to state some facts. The soccer match between the USA and England (the first of a possible 7) drew a US tv audience of 14.5 million. The average US tv audience for the first 5 NBA final games was 16.2.  

That was only because we wanted to watch America whip up on you once again.  :)

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 1:46 PM

Snaike, you should change the title to you, not we.  Your statement is opinion only and does not include many people.  I am not the largest soccer fan, but my reasons have nothing to do with what you wrote.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 2:12 PM

While I can appreciate your opinion, Neil, I stand by my statement.

Americans, as a whole, hate soccer... that's 'we'.  It will always be the red-headed stepchild of sports because there is no money in it for us.

RSS