• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 2:53 PM

no escapin the facts my friend!

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 3:14 PM

What's the facts Nicnuk???

That's just a little to vague, please elaborate...

• JohnHancock
    1,905 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 3:37 PM

GITrDONE:

JohnHancock:
    No, it's football.

So if our guys aren't playing football...Just what are they playing?

Dunno, but it seems to involve more hands than feet.  We call that rugby, only we don't use all the padding.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 7:31 AM

Seemed every channel I tuned in for the Olympics, curling was on.  And you know what, it became my guilty pleasure.  Growing up playing shuffleboard when on vacation at my grandparents in Floriday was so much fun, and curling is like the advanced version of that.  Tell me none of you who watched it didn't want to try it.  Pushing off the block, sliding 30 feet on ice, and having dudes glide down the ice smoothing ice away from the marble (already forgot the name of the "ball") or sweeping ice in front of the "ball" to slow or change trajectory.

Back to futball.  It can be really boring, it can be a lot like keep away, but thats only because you are only allowed to use your feet, head, and chest.  Its not the easiest thing to work the ball around, kick it to an exact spot, and give yourself enough time to get a shot off without the other player just having to tap the ball away to ruin what you were trying to accomplish.  Its a highly skilled sport, and if anyone doubts that try looking up Roberto Carlos goal line goal from some years ago.  There is even a breakdown on youtube on how absolutely improbable that shot was.  Full speed, kicking left foot (which would normally create a lefty "draw") but actually running it down to the line kicking the outside of the ball creating a "fade" back into the field to curl around the goalie.  The angle from ball to open net was less then 2%, only by bending the crap out of it on the run kicking outside of ball but producing opposite spin would score.  Watch it.

Snaike, you are dead on with the "acting" its attrocious sometimes, the Euro's seem to be the worst offenders, or rather the most obvious.  The injury they are pretending is a career ending injury, then 20 seconds later they are running full steam.  The ref's will call them on it sometimes which is good.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 8:52 AM

As an impassioned baseball fan, I’m probably the last person who should defend soccer but here goes again.

NBA basketball players should have their own FHOF (flopping hall of fame)

Most have graduated from the Vlade Divac School of Perfervid Illusion.

Sure it’s bad in soccer (Italy especially) but anyone who watched the USA vs. Algeria saw an excellent game.   There were a couple of times I thought we flopped but replays clearly showed that not to be true.  Dempsey even took one to the face that immediately filled his mouth with blood but no card was given.

Watching baseball or golf is really boring for a tremendous amount of people.

But with soccer the games are quick and virtually non-stop and none of those ridiculous TV timeouts you get in American football (especially right after a momentum turning play, aren’t those the best.)

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 9:48 AM

I like how it takes 'em about 30 to 45 seconds between pitches so they can readjust they're gloves and shin guards and cup and fix they're hair and spit and take about 20 deep breaths and then look at the camera like they are just disgusted...And all that after they were thrown a BALL...Didn't even have to swing the bat, yet they have to do  ALL that stuff all over again...I mean when they do swing and miss you might as well just change the channnel or go to the bathroom or something cause it's gonna be an eternity before the next pitch...For a couple of million dollars a game(per top player) it seems like they could have they're own personal groomer or something run out and re-groom  'em in between pitches...lol...They are some pretty prissy fellows in sports these days ain't it...

And I think they need to check the legal status of citizenship of those "American" soccer players...

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 9:54 AM

I don't hate soccer.

I'm a sports junkie that will watch practically any sport.

Soccer, curling, bobsled, downhill skiing, MMA, kickboxing, dwarf tossing, whatever.   It's all good.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 9:57 AM

Marioh,

I thinks its called Little People Tossing now. 

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 9:57 AM

Well, except for the NFL.

That league is really pi$$ing me off lately.   I watch a game on TV, and 75% of the programming is commercials.   I goto a live game, and all the players are just standing around with their fingers up their a$$es due to the hundreds of commercial breaks.

That league has single handedly ruined the greatest game in the world, all in the quest to line their pockets with even more money than they were already making.   And all the while NFL fans take it raw up the backside, and then ask the NFL for sloppy seconds.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 9:58 AM

neildiamond11790:

Marioh,

I thinks its called Little People Tossing now. 

No no no.   That's not PC enough.

They're no longer midgets, they are "height challenged".

RSS