Forums

Help › Forums

WORLD CUP FEVER!

Mon, Jul 12 2010 7:15 AM (82 replies)
  • BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 1:14 PM

Here's an interesting snippit from a NY Times sports article.

"Always good at seeing the big picture, Clinton discussed what the match — watched so broadly at home on television and in public places — would do for America’s place in soccer, and vice versa.

He is the honorary chairman of the bid committee trying to bring the 2018 or 2022 World Cup to the land that sold 3,587,538 tickets in 1994, still the World Cup record. "

Click the link and sign the petition to bring it back.

*emphasis added...I'm just sayin'

• luckysump
    638 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 1:20 PM

BOFFMEN:

Here's an interesting snippit from a NY Times sports article.

"Always good at seeing the big picture, Clinton discussed what the match — watched so broadly at home on television and in public places — would do for America’s place in soccer, and vice versa.

He is the honorary chairman of the bid committee trying to bring the 2018 or 2022 World Cup to the land that sold 3,587,538 tickets in 1994, still the World Cup record. "

Click the link and sign the petition to bring it back.

*emphasis added...I'm just sayin'

sounds good to me, you would do it proud,

i'm in

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 1:32 PM

Oh it just keeps getting better.

"Team USA is tearing it up on the soccer pitch and fans everywhere are digging the action online.

Landon Donovan's heroic game and group winning goal in the 91st minute against Algeria caused such a stir, that it set a new Internet traffic record!

More than 11.2 million people per minute flooded onto the Internet following Donovan's historic finish. The increase in traffic is considered the second highest spike in usage of all-time - eclipsing Barack Obama's 2008 Presidential election victory by more than 2.5 million visitors.

There was so much traffic that fans managed to briefly take down Yahoo Sports and Twitter.

The highest spike in Internet traffic belongs to the opening day of the 2010 World Cup."

Jump on the bandwagon here

• crazyhorse75
    40 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 7:49 PM

let me point you to here

Why we hate Soccer and the World Cup

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 8:47 PM

nickuk:

well...well,well!!

we just beat the charlie browns!

well done to both teams!

That's cause they kept falling for that old trick Lucy always pulls on poor old Charlie, ya know with a real football...lol

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 8:57 PM

crazyhorse75:

let me point you to here

Why we hate Soccer and the World Cup

Been there...got to stuffy with all the stereotypical comments.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Jun 26 2010 9:32 AM

EllisSpice:

Snaike, hopefully THIS will put a smile on your face about it.

WARNING: Link may include satire!

A very clever article.  Thanks for the link.

I still like the line about the 378 additional minutes.. lol  =)

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Jun 26 2010 9:59 AM

BOFFMEN:

The highest spike in Internet traffic belongs to the opening day of the 2010 World Cup."

Jump on the bandwagon here

I appreciate your efforts, B-man, to hype the bandwagon for Soccer in the US.  Perhaps someday soccer will actually be taken seriously by the nation as a whole.

But not today.

Considering the Internet is still a relatively young thing, and social-networking sites are even younger, used mostly by 18-30 demographic, basing the popularity of anything on 'internet statistics' is misleading.  Internet usage statistics are not a gauge for the population as a whole.  Sorry.

Sure, the World Cup is a spectacle a' la the Olympics... sure, the US moving to the 'knock-out round' is becoming big news... and there is lots of "internet traffic"...  but in a couple of weeks, after the US has been eliminated by one of the South American power houses and the NFL season starts to fire up most of your 'fans' today won't remember anyone on the US team other than Donovan.

Americans have short attention spans... and they will automatically latch on to 'winners'.  For examples...  Yankees, Lakers, Celtics, Cowboys, etc.  Teams that have a history of winning garner and keep the most fans.  (Exception, the Raiders.  They suck but still can market their gear.)  The US does not have soccer 'winners'.  There is nothing for the general population to hang their hat on except for 'this moment in time' as the US side moves into the next round.

Perhaps as the nation ages some more... and dinosaurs (like me) either get with the program or find the 'tar pits'... there will be more acceptance of soccer.   But until that time, soccer will always be a 4th tier sport played (mostly) in the 3rd World.  

Something I read/heard the other day sums it up nicely... the 4 biggest national economies in the world are:  USA, PRChina, Japan, and India.   None of these have ever had a strong soccer presence in their countries.

I wonder why? 

So, while we have the World Cup let's sit back and enjoy the spectacle, the glory and and the agony, like any good competition.  And when it's done let's congratulate the winners and console the losers... but let's not kid ourselves and think that this in any way matters to the people of the US past this event.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sat, Jun 26 2010 8:03 PM

Snaike if I didn't have to work 10 hours today and catch some of the game on the radio I would have responded to your post above earlier.

Snaike:

... basing the popularity of anything on 'internet statistics' is misleading.  Internet usage statistics are not a gauge for the population as a whole.  Sorry.

Let’s see, about the internet, well if it were 1994 you may have a point.  So how would we find out the popularity of WGT?

Hey didn't you try that once? click here

But something big did happen in 1994.  The World Cup was played in the United States. We sold 3,587,538 tickets…still the World Cup record.  Perhaps they were sold to all those third world country fans, who paddled over?

Snaike:

Something I read/heard the other day sums it up nicely... the 4 biggest national economies in the world are:  USA, PRChina, Japan, and India.   None of these have ever had a strong soccer presence in their countries.

I wonder why? 

See here for soccer in China(Soccer is regarded as the No. 1 spectator sport in China. Large crowds attend live games and large audiences tune in for televised games for both local Chinese teams and famous foreign ones.)

See here for soccer in Japan.

(1921 Japanese Football Association est. 1929 affiliated to FIFA)

See here for soccer in India 

(Association football is one of India's most popular sports, and is said to rank second only behind cricket in popularity, although some reporting considers football to be more popular.)

As for American style football in those countries, I’ll let you do the detective work.

Sorry to shed your skin.

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Sat, Jun 26 2010 9:25 PM

BOFFMEN:

Snaike if I didn't have to work 10 hours today and catch some of the game on the radio I would have responded to your post above earlier.

Let’s see, about the internet, well if it were 1994 you may have a point.  So how would we find out the popularity of WGT?

Hey didn't you try that once? click here

But something big did happen in 1994.  The World Cup was played in the United States. We sold 3,587,538 tickets…still the World Cup record.  Perhaps they were sold to all those third world country fans, who paddled over?

See here for soccer in China(Soccer is regarded as the No. 1 spectator sport in China. Large crowds attend live games and large audiences tune in for televised games for both local Chinese teams and famous foreign ones.)

See here for soccer in Japan.

(1921 Japanese Football Association est. 1929 affiliated to FIFA)

See here for soccer in India 

(Association football is one of India's most popular sports, and is said to rank second only behind cricket in popularity, although some reporting considers football to be more popular.)

As for American style football in those countries, I’ll let you do the detective work.

Sorry to shed your skin.

Very well constructed and stated Boffmen. Kudos.

RSS