Help › Forums

Looking for advice from the expert players

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jun 7 2010 4:02 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 1:16 PM

I am a decent player, master tier, and at the point where I would like my game to be a bit more sophisticated. I have started using all the shots available to me with decent success.

Here is my question: any tips on shot selection for sand shots with a 30/40 lie. I'm struggling to find the right shot. Generally, anything deeper than that I will just lob out with a full swing. 10/20, I'm usually going flop or pitch depending on location. I just can't seem to get a grasp on that 30/40 lie. Any tips would be appreciated. Post it here or reply directly to me if you prefer.

Thanks!

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 1:36 PM

If I am inside of 50 yards with that lie, it seems to come out almost 95% of the club's intended distance. So if I lay 45 yards away, I'll just hit my full 50 yard wedge.

If I'm about 13 yard away, depending on green conditions, I'll choose a 21 yard flop shot (or whatever you have that is 150% the distance to the pin) and hit it to go 20 yards. It seems to affect the ball more on shorter shots.

For shots over 100 yards, I'd take a high iron and try to get it out about 90-120 yards, don't take any big risks.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 2:59 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think 30-40 is really an issue.  You can Flop, Pitch or use Full, just account for the full lie with Flop and Pitch, not sure about Full. 

40-50 and 50-60 though I think gets trickier.  I had a 40-50 last night and tried the Flop and barely got out of the trap, there were possibly other factors at play though like the wall of the trap being quite high which is probably why I landed just on the top of it. 

I also had a 50-60 last night and I Punched it out with success accounting for Full lie, I did not want to chance a Flop or Pitch in that one.  

I try not to hit any sands shots less than 75% power as well, that is a recipe for disaster no matter which shot you use which is why I hardly ever get to use Full as a choice (with closer traps).

• TaterNater
    545 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 4:20 PM

the 50 yd wedge full from any where off the green say 20 yds or better is a great club, its easy to gauge ur yardage .

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2010 10:12 PM

Thanks for the tips. Maybe a 50y LW will do the trick for me. I'm not too long, so I an forced to play Oakmont with my R9 and my 3W and hybrid, leaving me a 65 an 85 wedge. Maybe a 50 is the key. I guess that is what I get being a cheapskate.

Thanks for the advice. Anyone else, please chime in!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2010 11:23 PM

IvaThongon:
    'm not too long, so I an forced to play Oakmont with my R9 and my 3W and hybrid

Where do you use both of these fairway clubs? One will definitely suffice at Oakmont and then you'll be able to get that 64 degree wedge which, IMO, is the one club you really need most. GL

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 8:51 AM

Im not an expert but been around some. When I hit a shot (ie sand ) and it doesnt work out ill hit back in if I made it out and try an adjustment.Ill keep fooling around till something works out. Try to play with the experts. You have to put your time in . GL

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 8:56 AM

I carry both Jim, I hit 3W off the tee on the shorter par 4s to stay out of ditches, bunkers, 40-50 rough that my driver often finds.  The 2H I use carries 190yds from 20-25 rough and often is enough to reach a green when I do find the rough off the tee.  I can also use it on 3 of the long par3s depending on the wind.

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 9:20 AM

I find the same thing Andy, I use both regularly on a number of holes, and the hybrid is a godsend from the rough

I'll give that a though Yankee.

TY both for the tips. You experts, if my light is on, invite me for a game sometime, I'll pick your brain a bit.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 10:15 AM

I can see where both of you think the same as you have almost identical clubs. Yours is probably a truer representation of what most golfers IRL actually carry. This changes dramatically with master level clubs, enough so that the irons can cover the yardage a fairway wood/hb would.

Course management changes when you play without one or both of those. I still carry 4 wedges, even at Oakmont, because I'm not convinced I would score any better if I did carry either club. I do occasionally carry a hb because it's more versatile than the 3W (3 yds less) but this is just my style. My real point is that for the value of a 3rd wedge I would look at how your course management would change if you only had the HB. Given the extra coverage close up it may be worth a look. GL

• PAGES
RSS