Forums

Help › Forums

Ryder Cup 2009 - GOODBYE!

Fri, Nov 27 2009 7:06 PM (514 replies)
  • jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, Nov 6 2009 11:16 AM

Here's my 2 cents.  It's very, very possible that this awesome Ryder Cup could end up in 14- 14 tie. What better way to end what looked from the beginning to be a very even match.   And if we do end up tied ... we're ALL winners . I mean, just take a look at the support from the WGT community. This thread has been the most popular for the last several weeks ...I'd call that a success.

And what better way to pump up a Ryder Cup competition next year, than to claim that it took 2 YEARS to determine a winner?

If we end tied ... let's just leave it that  ....  a draw. I think anything other than that would be anticlimactic.

Jeff

• paulmcm
    449 Posts
    Fri, Nov 6 2009 11:47 AM

I think gitthe's suggestion is the fairest way of finishing that match, although i'm not sure how you are going to get coola's ball back to the same place, a 6ft putt sounds straight forward enough, but not on the 15th, it could be a 3 putt.

If it does all end in a tie, i tend agree with Jeff, it's been a fantastic tournament and it would be a shame to put the whole result down to one final game, best to share the spoils and wait for next year at St Andrews.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Nov 6 2009 12:39 PM

paulmcm:
    If it does all end in a tie, i tend agree with Jeff, it's been a fantastic tournament and it would be a shame to put the whole result down to one final game, best to share the spoils and wait for next year at St Andrews.

My sentiments exactly.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Fri, Nov 6 2009 1:03 PM

Not that anyone asked .. but here is another way to look at this.

In 2003 .. The President's Cup was tied at 17 - 17 when two golfers you may have heard of, Ernie Els and Tiger Woods, were called on to go head to head to decide the outcome of the match.   After a very exciting 3 hole playoff ... the International and USA teams were still tied.   

The two very seasoned team captains ... Mr. Jack Nicklaus and Mr. Gary Player (who I would contest know a lot more about tournament golf it's highest levels than all of us put together)  conferred and decided there is no shame in both teams deserving a share of the trophy.

If a tie is good enough for Tiger Woods, Ernie Els, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player ... it should be good enough for the members of the WGT Ryder Cup Teams. 

I know a lot of folks don't like a tie .. but ... it will make the next tournament all the more exciting.

• imcoola
    228 Posts
    Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:03 AM

lvietri:

Not that anyone asked .. but here is another way to look at this.

In 2003 .. The President's Cup was tied at 17 - 17 when two golfers you may have heard of, Ernie Els and Tiger Woods, were called on to go head to head to decide the outcome of the match.   After a very exciting 3 hole playoff ... the International and USA teams were still tied.   

The two very seasoned team captains ... Mr. Jack Nicklaus and Mr. Gary Player (who I would contest know a lot more about tournament golf it's highest levels than all of us put together)  conferred and decided there is no shame in both teams deserving a share of the trophy.

If a tie is good enough for Tiger Woods, Ernie Els, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player ... it should be good enough for the members of the WGT Ryder Cup Teams. 

I know a lot of folks don't like a tie .. but ... it will make the next tournament all the more exciting.

very well said. I would be for a draw too Next Year at St. Andrews would be even better after this.

regards

imcoola

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:12 PM

My other idea was to have Angelina Jolie and Pam from "The Office" play off to see who wins ... but I couldn't figure out how to get them on the teams since they didn't qualify.  :)

• vabighack
    463 Posts
    Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:18 PM

just watching that match would hurt u L....

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Sun, Nov 8 2009 6:49 AM

Finally, Gitthe, Jalaii, TallAcePaul and Imcoola will all play the last four holes of the pending match. There has been a mutual agreement from both captains.

The other match, as you know, will be played on Tuesday at 4PM GMT, with U.S.A. one up wtih six to go.

I had said that if there was a draw there would be a playoff because I thought that´s what most people would prefer, but apparently, I´m the only one on this site who thought that LOL, so IF the competition ends in a draw after the last two matches are played, it will end like that and there will be no playoff.

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Mon, Nov 9 2009 12:32 AM

I went away for a few days and came back yesterday, looked at the thread and thought that we had been given the draw and the last 2 matches had been shared , the way everyone was going on LOL

The US team have to look at themselves as favourites for the remaining games, being 3 up with 4 to play in one and 1 up after 3 in another. No pressure then!!!!!! Best give my massuse a call and order in some valium as tuesday is going to be a very important game.

I would just like to say at this point that what ever happens this has been a fantastic tournament and every single player involved has had a bearing at some point. The games have all been played in a great spirit and I am very proud of the International sides achievements to date and also have to praise the US team for sticking with us when at one point I thought we might pull away.

Thank you also to all those who have supported the tourney from the side lines as you have added to the overall experience. Listening to the IRC commentaries on my team mates games has been more nerve-wracking for me than actually playing and I hope that we can develop this feature further.

Any way I'll shut up now and see you all Tuesday

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Mon, Nov 9 2009 9:06 AM

Don´t forget, anyone: TUESDAY 4PM GMT, live on IRC, the biggest match in the history of the Ryder Cup, with just two to go and one of them being only four holes.

All the players have to be there, the captains, the supporters... you can´t miss it! The 2009 Ryder Cup depends on that match! Whoever loses cannot win the competition and whoever wins cannot lose!

Come to IRC, because in years to come you will be able to say: "I WAS THERE...!"

RSS