Forums

Help › Forums

Ryder Cup 2009 - GOODBYE!

Fri, Nov 27 2009 7:06 PM (514 replies)
  • coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2009 11:30 AM

Great game there Dorkfeatures and Slor ! Good fight back and almost took the win so well done.  Well played Dorkfeatures, very consistent and solid when needed and enable Slor to turned the game in the end.  Nice win to the US team.  Keep it going Team World !

• gitthe
    66 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2009 11:56 AM

TallAcePaul:

bad luck guys sound like another great game, that is one weird score card slor !! I am rather hoping that the 3 doubles games I have outstanding can be played this week. Smoothswing if you see this please let me know youre movements as you are involved in all of them!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, more bad luck blamed for a loss.  IMHO it is really disrespectful and bad sportsmanship not to give credit to the winning team, but rather blame bad luck or internet connection for a loss.

Was it Gary Player that said, "the more I practice the luckier I get."

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2009 12:09 PM

? wow. It was a term of expression and not meant to cause offence and I fully realise that luck rarely has anything to do with a result. I should though have congratulated WV and Hightower3 on a good win for the US. Well played guys that was a hard match to get off the ground and  I appeciate the effort everyone had to put in.

Internet connection??

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2009 3:49 PM

Hi All,

Just a few words on our great match.

Firstly well played Jim & Joe - very consistent, and just to good in the end. Congrats on a great win -  you deserved it.

Also - thanks to all for making the time, and getting the game off the ground (3 time zones) it was difficult.

To my partner Slor - thanks for the making the time (on holiday) to play this game, we almost pulled it off. In all honesty your link looked poor, from where I was - but to your credit you kept going and pulled out two amazing shots on 15 & 16 to get us back into it. Thanks for your kind comments to. Next time eh?

@githe - hello my friend. I read your post with - well, let me say - total bemusement!! As Paul said in his post "bad luck" is purely a term of expression, or sympathy from where I come from - and in no way was meant to detract from your win, or be disrespectful to Jim or Joe. Its a common expression in my world!! I am sure they would not have taken it that way. Please - don't read anything else into it. I don't think we need to bring in that kind of needle into what has been a fantastic tournament so far. Everybody has been incredibly well mannered, and polite and it has been a privilege to be part of it. Lets keep it that way.

A comment on the greens - they were brutal. I just couldnt get my speed and line right. I need practice and plenty of it. Its a shame they changed mid tournament - but then its the same for all - right!!

To our Captain Paul, and the rest of the International team - sorry we couldn't pull it off guys, we came back from 2 down to almost snatch it, but in the end they were deserved winners.

All the best to everyone.

Cheers Doug

• Zippy-Pivot
    257 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2009 4:43 PM

Wow.......down to the last hole. Thats tension to the extreme! Tip of the cap to all involved in this  roller coaster game. High fives to agony of defeat for the world! great game USA 

• gitthe
    66 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2009 5:35 PM

dorkfeatures:

Firstly well played Jim & Joe - very consistent, and just to good in the end. Congrats on a great win -  you deserved it.

@githe - hello my friend. I read your post with - well, let me say - total bemusement!! As Paul said in his post "bad luck" is purely a term of expression, or sympathy from where I come from - and in no way was meant to detract from your win, or be disrespectful to Jim or Joe. Its a common expression in my world!! I am sure they would not have taken it that way. Please - don't read anything else into it. I don't think we need to bring in that kind of needle into what has been a fantastic tournament so far. Everybody has been incredibly well mannered, and polite and it has been a privilege to be part of it. Lets kee

lol @myself.  I guess I do take "luck" comments too seriously and literal.  I did not intend to offend anyone (apologies if I did), just trying to give some perspective that I personally take it as a sign of disrespect when people do not give credit to the winning team, only mention that they were the victim of bad luck.  Maybe I'm the only one.  But it sure is a lot more sporting to give kudos to your opponents, then mention how unlucky you were.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Sun, Oct 18 2009 9:28 PM

Hi Gitthe,

Hey - I know where you're coming from, but seriously there was never any disrespect meant from Paul, myself or anyone else on the International Team.

Our Captain said to us - "bad luck" - he did NOT say how unlucky we were, or that we were a victim of bad luck - and neither did we. Have a look in our posts - you will find nothing mentioning how unlucky we were. Quite the contrary.

Our opponents got all our kudos, they were better than us on the day, and deserved to win.  It was a great match, one of the best I've ever played in. Our opponents were very very good, but we fought real hard right to the end - unlucky we were not !!

Hey - thats it from me,  this really has been blown up out of all proportion.

Lets get back to the golf.

Cheers Doug

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2009 9:56 AM

Congratulations to Thunderbird and Smoothswinger on a thumping win just now. Well played guys too good today.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2009 10:26 AM

ClaremoreBlue JeffDoss v Avatar Coolswing is on tonight at 9 central. May the best team win, it sure is fun being a part of this competitive tournament. Some tough players in this. I took some non putting lessons from Zippy, he has shown me some secrets of the International team !! LOL

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2009 10:41 AM

Mm? Traitors in the International Team? I will look into that...

There is a possibility that Jarid and I will be playing our singles match tonight in twenty minutes, at 2pm CST. Obviously, I can´t give you full commentary as it´s only two players, but I will be posting the scores every 2/3 holes on IRC if you want to drop by.

RSS