Help › Forums

Hitch in the swing meter

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 21 2010 1:33 PM (23 replies)
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 12:00 PM

Richard4168:
    If this game in it's current state, is any indication of what the future holds for this game, then I wouldn't hold your breathe people for a stellar outcome. I think some professional CEO's need to come in and save this company and make the proper improvements to the game. Kind of like how Gordon Ramsey saves those Restaurant's that are on the brink of closing their doors. IMO.

Gordon Ramsey?  You mean Gordon Ramsay don't you? Read this: "Gordon Ramsay is in hot water, as his business goes down in flames."  You chose a bad example IMO.  I wouldn't exactly imply Ramsay is a professional CEO type.  He's a celebrity British TV chef, and restaurateur.  Who capitalized on his fame by successfully opening several restaurants in the U.K.  But he's smart enough to hire managers to run his operations..

His branching out into the U.S. market hasn't gone well.  I assume this is where your "saving the restaurants on the brink of closing" comes from.   He's pulling back from the U.S. market and his losses here doubled this year from 2009 and stood at $12.9M.  "Ramsay, 43, has abandoned ownership of his non-U.K. eateries and now operates them as consultancies after the popularity of his TV shows failed to translate into profitable dining businesses." source.  I guess a lot of those he "saved" have been sold or closed.

Richard4168:
    WGT.com is a great looking game, that plays mediocre, and is run by a generic company. I swear, it seems a few guys and gals were drinking in a bar and brainstormed the idea for this game, and are now running the company. ....If this game in it's current state, is any indication of what the future holds for this game, then I wouldn't hold your breathe people for a stellar outcome.

You claiming to be some kind of business expert?

I suggest you read Cheng's biography before casting aspersions.

Cheng and Nelson both worked at a successful game producing company before I so wouldn't call them a generic company.  Here's a quote:

"Nelson, World Golf Tour's president and co-founder, conceived the game in early 2006 while golfing in Italy. He and Cheng had sold their PC game-development studio, WagerWorks, to IGT for $90 million the year before, and he wondered why there were no good online golf games." Source

You're right, the idea was brainstormed over a few beers.  Here's a quote by YuChiang Cheng, President of WGT, in this article on WGT

"He (Chad Nelson) also noticed that there were no quality sports games available online, even though online gaming was gaining in popularity. The concept was born. Chad came back to San Francisco and he and YuChiang discussed it over burritos on Potrero Hill. They knew building a “game” was not a business and that they did not want to be just “another” independent game developer. So they poured some more salsa and drank some more beer and figured out how to build a new gaming media business model with online distribution, advertising and the sale of virtual items. Then, they recruited JF Prata and Phil Gorrow of EA to build it."

The way I see it, Cheng and Nelson were/are successful businessmen in the video game industry who started another company, WGT over a couple of beers and added experienced people from EA to build the new game.

I think all companies make mistakes along the way.  WGT, Ramsay Holdings, Apple Computers, the list is endless.

I think these guys can and will fix it.

That's my opinion, based on research not some "me too" jump on the let's diss WGT bandwagon.

• Foghorn03
    9 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 1:30 PM

Get it sorted. There are too many bugs

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 2:20 PM

Geez, you don't like me do you Andy?  LOL!!!

If you don't like my posts, don't read them. I can post anything I want in the forums. If you don't like it, too bad!  LOL!!!

I can't wait to see what the next Andyson rebuttal will be after my next post.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 2:44 PM

andyson:
    I think these guys can and will fix it.

That's my opinion, based on research

I agree, Andy. Impressive research. That 90 millhouse is a nice startup cushion.  :-D

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 3:38 PM

Richard4168:

Geez, you don't like me do you Andy?  LOL!!!

If you don't like my posts, don't read them. I can post anything I want in the forums. If you don't like it, too bad!  LOL!!!

Richard, You're probably a fine, upstanding citizen, even for a Cardinals fan LOL.  I have no problem with you personally.

However, I am cursed with being a stickler for accuracy of information and well supported opinions.  I try and post when I have something to say, not because I have to say something.  (Words that WGTNiv used frequently.)

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 4:29 PM

Good for you Andy. But while you're posting your opinion of my opinion, get it right. I said like how Gordon Ramsay does with those restaurant owners. Besides, I don't think Gordon is hurting to bad with three UK shows and two American shows, which I watch by the way. There was no need for accuracy in my post either. It was a metaphor.

To your WGT.com history lesson. That's old news Andy. I've read all those WGT Cheng articles month's ago, and have even set links to them in the forums.

When I post, I have something to say. I'm not to concerned about nivlac's opinions on posting in the WGT forums. He, like others, have posted in the forums and was just "saying something" plenty of times.

You have you're opinion of WGT, and I have mine along with others. You can defend WGT all you want. There's a problem in the WGT camp whether you and others want to admit it or not. I suspect they'll get it together sooner rather then later, but for now, I've got a constructive opinion of WGT.

If all you got to do with you're life is to correct people's posts in a forum, and belittle them because you don't agree with them or they got the accuracy of their information wrong, then I suggest you get a life.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 5:18 PM

I did read your post right Richard, you said WGT needs a professional CEO, kinda like that fella Ramsay who saved all those restaurants.  But Ramsay is not a professional CEO, he's a British chef TV celeb loved by the London tabloids who has lost millions of dollars in the U.S.

I wouldn't have disagreed if you had said kinda like that Lee Iacocca fella who saved Chrysler back in the '80s.

Richard4168:
    There was no need for accuracy in my post either.

LMAO!!  Quote of the Year!

Just keep on dishing out the inaccurate "stuff" Richard.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 6:52 PM

There was nothing in my post that was inaccurate. It was a metaphor. Even the omniscience, and omnipotent Andy is wrong sometimes, I know it kills you to hear that. And so much for Lee Iaccoca, and his company saving ideas, Chrysler almost went belly-up again too. Maybe you should use a better choice of people yourself to make you're point. lol!!

You're wrong Andy. Your facts are fudged. Try again.

"I think some professional CEO's need to come in and save this company and make the proper improvements to the game. Kind of like [how] Gordon Ramsey saves those Restaurant's that are on the brink of closing their doors. IMO".

There's no similarity to what you said in no way shape or form. There's no comparison to Gordon being the CEO. Admit it Andy, you're wrong.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 8:24 PM

No need to attack the person. 

Your posts are a train wreck in progress.  <----That is a metaphor.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Mon, Sep 20 2010 8:48 PM

tick....tick

RSS