Forums

Help › Forums

Master level and your average score

Thu, May 6 2010 9:13 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Mon, May 3 2010 2:42 AM

I was making about 6-7 birdies a round (kiawah and st andrews) when I was pro level and this was just enough to bump me to master with an average of about 65.

Since then, with the faster greens and longer holes I've found my average slipping back to about 68 to 69. So it now occurs that the average score is not independent of your level as I had first assumed, rather a function of it:

For example, a pro with an average of 68 may not have the skill level of a master with average 70, since 70 is much harder to achieve at master level.

This must mean that most golfers go through a period of risen average when moving to master but the real question is, how long does it take to reapproach the average you were getting at pro?

I seemed to have stopped the rot at about 69 but it could be a long time before I can get back down to 65. How did others find it?

• duffer66
    700 Posts
    Mon, May 3 2010 9:24 AM

I have never been back to 65 since making master. Take a lot of practice to hold 66 or 67.I usually bounce between 66 and 68. One of the problems with the tiers is you usually make master on a good round but you are not really ready for it. I wasn't for sure.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, May 3 2010 10:09 AM

I did a  gradual introduction of new clubs after becoming Master and I think that eased the transition for me.  I had bought the Raptures as a pro and was familiar with them

I first upgraded driver and 3W.  For a while I carried both the R9 driver and Rapture driver and used used them selectively depending on the course and hole.  Then I upgraded wedges and putter.  I added the Pro Raptures irons when they came out and then went to the G10 driver and eventually, new wedges again.

Learning  my new clubs during practice rounds, especially the wedges, was critical to me.  And it didn't affect my average.

Getting the new driver first put me approximately in the same area of the fairway as when I was a pro.  (but the R9 also put me in some places I had never been!) I think, if memory serves me, I made master before the v. fast greens were introduced so I didn't deal with that issue right off the bat.

Oh yeah, forgot, I was promoted to Master when that average was only 67+.  Its since been lowered to its current threshold. 

To answer your question, it didn't take me long to get back down to my 67+ average, and I don't think I ever slipped back into the 70s.

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Mon, May 3 2010 11:48 AM

Hopefully I''ve turned a corner. Just shot 65 on Kiawah Island on Master level. So at least I know I can do it.

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Mon, May 3 2010 12:57 PM

What I am finding is I cannot be really consistent enough to get my average back to 65ish.  I don't seem to be able to get regular birdies.  Problem is I got to Masters fairly quickly but the leap was much more than I expected.  It's the snap that kills me as it always has.  One day I can hit virtually every snap, the next it's all I can do to get it in the box.  I think I need a lot more time at this game, but at the moment the improvements just aren't coming

Mick

• doctorlove
    2 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 12:37 PM

Thanks for the great info, andyson.  What is the current cutoff for master?  I am at 66 or so in pro tier.  Does it matter if you do not save games near the end if you do not like your score?  I have been doing that regularly to get my score down.  Thanks for you help in advance!  Van, aka doctorlove.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 1:08 PM

doctorlove:

Thanks for the great info, andyson.  What is the current cutoff for master?  I am at 66 or so in pro tier.  Does it matter if you do not save games near the end if you do not like your score?  I have been doing that regularly to get my score down.  Thanks for you help in advance!  Van, aka doctorlove.

The cut is somewhere around 65.

That being said if you get promoted to master now I fear you will be very frustrated. I looked at your scores and you only play one nine. That combined with the fact that you are only posting your best scores means you are not ready.

Play all the nines and post your scores that will give you an idea of what tier you should be in.

Master is a one way ticket and there are many who find out the hard way that they were not ready.

I am not trying to disrespect you. Just trying to help.

Happy hitting

• ChristopherRouss
    133 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 1:38 PM

In some ways I agree with you Soulcatcher, but in another I totally disagree.  First of all, whether ready for it or not, once you move up in level you don't move back down, as far as I can tell.  Otherwise if someone moved up to master on a "Lucky" Round then sucked on the next couple rounds to bump their average back over 66 they would drop down... but we don't.  So whether ready for it or not, we who have been elevated are forever masters. 

Next, instead of saying you're not ready and you only play nines and not whole courses (St. Andrews an acception since we don't have the full 18 yet), perhaps some constructive criticism and advise would be better.  Obviously the originator of this posting realized he or she wasn't ready.  So saying they cheated their way to Master Tier doesn't help them one iota. 

In reply to the original post...........

I too originally suffered a minor set back when I reached Master Level......  What I learned to do was to go and practice, practice, and practice more until I felt confident enough to go and play a good round of golf.  Secondly, your score will go down faster than you realize.  Your average score is based on the last ten or so rounds you played, so each time you play you lose a bad score off your list.  Go and practice the courses on the hard tees, with the very fast greens until you feel confident in your timing and skill level to start posting lower scores.  Then enter tournaments and watch your score drop precipitously.  I went from a 65.7 when I became a master to about a 68....  but I actually got my score down under 63 within a month of becoming a master.  I assure you this can happen for you too.  Ok now my score is hovering in the 64-65 range because I've had some struggles playing the 9 hole tourneys at Bethpage.....  what a killer course man.....  even though my lowest 18 hole round came from there......   Good luck to you all.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 3:22 PM

ChristopherRouss:

Next, instead of saying you're not ready and you only play nines and not whole courses (St. Andrews an acception since we don't have the full 18 yet), perhaps some constructive criticism and advise would be better.  Obviously the originator of this posting realized he or she wasn't ready.  So saying they cheated their way to Master Tier doesn't help them one iota. 

You misunderstand. I did not say he only played nines (most people do). I said he played the same nine (called research, check before you comment).

I then proceeded to give him constructive ideas....play different nines, record your scores.

I have seen many go the same route to master and then quit because it is too hard.

Happy hitting

*edit          Never did I say anyone cheated....do not presume to speak for me. If someone quits their rounds to boost their score that is their business. Personally, think it does them no favours and leads to not enjoying the game.

• doctorlove
    2 Posts
    Thu, May 6 2010 4:59 PM

I want to thank you both for your help and advice.  No worries, you did not offend me, Soulcatcher, and I agree that I am not yet ready for masters tier, but do want to get there sooner than later due to my competitive nature.  I try not to reinvent the wheel in life, instead I try to learn from those who are doing something better than I - and you both certainly qualify.

This online golf game is outstanding in my mind!  The best one I have seen, and I love playing it.  In line with the advise, I am now playing St. Andrews and I will return to Bethpage soon too.  18 holes to follow.

If either of you have any other advise, please let me know whenever you have the time.  Thanks for the detailed advise so far, much appreciated.  Take care, and hit 'em straight!

• PAGES
RSS