Forums

Help › Forums

Hole # 1 at St. Andrews

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 28 2010 7:42 PM (7 replies)
  • golforfunguy66
    22 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 6:52 PM

Just bought all new hear. 245 driver, new irons, balls and putter. Game has improved a tad. Trouble is when you drive it farther, sometimes you get stuck with a hole that your approach shot is tricky because you are in between lengths. Either you'll hit it too far or not far enough.

One hole that is a constant bugger to birdie is no # 1 on Andrews. I NEVER get cose to the hole on my second shot. NEVER. Any tips at landing that 2nd shot within 5 feet or so or just birdie tips on that hole in general ? Thanks !

GOFG

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 8:51 PM

I find that, depending on driver length, a punch shot works fairly well. From my experience, punch shots generally go pretty close to what they're supposed to. Try it and good luck!

Rehill.

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 9:25 PM

rehill:

I find that, depending on driver length, a punch shot works fairly well. From my experience, punch shots generally go pretty close to what they're supposed to. Try it and good luck!

Rehill.

I've heard this before and would like to hear more discussion about it.

Let me get this right.. you're referring to a punch shot with a given wedge. Right?

So it's all about the distance. It's not about learning how to hit the club? You use punch shots simply to match the distance to the hole? Doesn't it take away from spin?

I've hit plenty of punch shots in real life but usually with my hybrid and/or PW.

This concept seems way far off from real golf. It's definitely not what I would consider but completely unorthodox. I've heard many a successful master refer to GW-LW in terms of "punch" shots and quite frankly it's extremely confusing. Those club were never made for or meant to punch a ball.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 5:19 AM

smason77:

rehill:

Rehill.

I've heard this before and would like to hear more discussion about it.

Let me get this right.. you're referring to a punch shot with a given wedge. Right?

So it's all about the distance. It's not about learning how to hit the club? You use punch shots simply to match the distance to the hole? Doesn't it take away from spin?

I've hit plenty of punch shots in real life but usually with my hybrid and/or PW.

This concept seems way far off from real golf. It's definitely not what I would consider but completely unorthodox. I've heard many a successful master refer to GW-LW in terms of "punch" shots and quite frankly it's extremely confusing. Those club were never made for or meant to punch a ball.

In real golf I've hit a punch, or "knock-down," shot with many different clubs.  Under the pine trees about 100 yds away from a green with an open front, I have hit a knockdown 5 iron that never got more than 10 ft off the ground and rolled onto the green. Works when hitting to uphill fairways too. More roll from the lower trajectory.

On WGT, I hit a punch anytime I'm in deep rough and have a long distance to the green. Also, if the wind is extremely strong in my face I will hit a punch. It keeps the ball down and the wind affects it less. 

I almost always hit a punch as my second shot on SA #5 if I'm in the rough. Usually I hit a hybrid about 70% or so power.  Also on SA I use a punch to get out of the deep fescue on any hole there. 

Also, on SA #7, if I drive into a stiff wind and catch the rough short of the landing area I use a punch (and drop down about 2 clubs) and almost always reach the green.

A knockdown, or punch, takes almost all the spin off the ball so that it rolls farther. Play some practice rounds, hit into 40-50% rough and try it.

Maybe some of the other golfers here can offer better advice.

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 5:29 AM

When using the punch shots with the lower clubs (wedges), yes, there is less spin, but it is not drastic.  With some of my wedges I can actually still get a pretty decent stop on the ball.  In fact, it's almost like carrying another wedge in the bag.  When I selected mine, one of the biggest determining factors was the punch distance.  I chose the clubs that seemed (IMO) to cover the rather large gaps under my PW here is how mine lay out:

52* Full = 100 (nice round number)     Punch = 82

60* Full = 75     Punch = 62

64* Full = 50     Punch = 41

Aside from the fairly large gap between 82 and 100 yards, I think I have pretty good coverage.  I treat my punch shots very much like full shots but with the potential of more roll out, and that depends on wind, elevation and landing slope.

*edit* keep in mind I play the highest spin balls and high spin clubs too!

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 5:31 AM

golforfunguy66:

Just bought all new hear. 245 driver, new irons, balls and putter. Game has improved a tad. Trouble is when you drive it farther, sometimes you get stuck with a hole that your approach shot is tricky because you are in between lengths. Either you'll hit it too far or not far enough.

One hole that is a constant bugger to birdie is no # 1 on Andrews. I NEVER get cose to the hole on my second shot. NEVER. Any tips at landing that 2nd shot within 5 feet or so or just birdie tips on that hole in general ? Thanks !

GOFG

Between club distances are difficult. I try to decide what club I want to hit to the green on, say, Kiawah #7 or #11. Then I hit my 2nd shot to place the ball as close to maximum distance for that club. Usually on Kiawah #7 I can reach the green in 2 and have a long tricky putt, but if I lay up about 45 yds short, then with my 64 degree wedge I can almost always get within 5 ft and birdie the hole. Same on #11. I lay up right of the pot bunker and almost always have either a 40 yd or a 65 yd shot (depending on wind) to the flag. I birdie more often than I par it.

On SA #1, try to land the ball about 10 ft short and left of the hole. It usually will roll close from there. That seems to be the flattest area to putt from too.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 5:32 AM

smason77:
    So it's all about the distance. It's not about learning how to hit the club? You use punch shots simply to match the distance to the hole?

Learning your clubs means knowing how far you can hit them in all the shot modes and how they act on landing. The punch shot is extremely important when you look at the coverage you have in your bag. One wedge can be 5 different shots with 5 different distances without touching the spin. Use the spin to fine tune these yardages and the landing action.

So yes, it's all about distance but you have to learn your clubs to get it right. GL

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 7:42 PM

TY AlaCowboy, Avatarlee, and YJ for your replies. It's appreciated! Cheers

RSS