Forums

Help › Forums

sick of "masters"

Sun, Apr 25 2010 10:40 AM (26 replies)
  • neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 6:46 AM

I play mostly match play multi player games, fewer drop outs.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 6:54 AM

claremoreblue:

I'd like to see an amateur play a quitter with a 62 or better average, anytime for a small wager :)

Invite me for a MPC game, I guarantee you I won't quit. :))

I like that...I really like that

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 7:56 AM

claremoreblue:
    I'd like to see an amateur play a quitter with a 62 or better average,

Let me lay it out in terms that even you can understand.

If a quitter was forced to complete his or her round, even an amateur could beat a quitter with an average of 62 or better, because then they couldn't cherry pick their round to protect their average.  : )

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 9:02 AM

Play with friends. Good first post. Ma..tr

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 9:21 AM

You're failing to understand that in order for a Master to have a 62 average, he must have, at one time, posted below a 62. I promise you that anyone shooting below a 62 (even if a quitter) will never shoot above -2.

• TarheelsRule
    5,493 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 9:36 AM
    Actually I play with masters and pros only in stroke play. I have more pros quit than masters........the reason in my opinion is that they are trying to get their average down to become a master. Once you get to be a master who cares what your average is, there are no handicap tournaments beyond the tier tourneys. My average has dropped to below 60 and back up to 62 over the past weeks. I found that playing St Andrews I consistently shot 5 to 6 under and have been as low as 9 under a few times. My bad round on St Andrews is going to be 32. I have recently started to play the other courses, front at BPB and Kiawah and backs at those as well just to get a more consistent score but still when I join a group at any course or get invited 75% of them are at St Andrews. I still have the perfect record of never having a single 4 some that I started in finish in a 4 some, I did have 3 the other day finish together. If people want to quit to protect their score, fine I have no problem with that, I have noticed that several people I play with finish their round until the final shot and then quit, which if you plan on quitting is the proper way, don't disrupt the flow of the game, if I sign up for stroke play with a group I don't want to play as a single or I would have signed up that way.
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 9:39 AM

OK, so the average number is to low, everyone should still get the concept. Besides, quitters aren't impervious to a loss from an amateur even if the Master is a quitter or not.

Also, a Master with an average of 62 or better isn't impervious to shooting above a -2. If they don't, then there cherry picking their rounds. IMO.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 1:44 PM

I'm sorry, gentlemen, but this argument is moot.

As Tarheels has pointed out... Masters average means nothing.  They may quit on you after a bad hole, etc, but they are not doing it to protect their average, imho.  They may be, as Richard has said, "cherry-picking their rounds", but it's not for average.

Vanity? maybe.  Boredom?  perhaps.  Frustration? possibly.  Irritation? likely.

The solution?  Don't play random games.  Play with friends... join the ladders (www.WGTLS.co.uk)... even golfseekers...  whatever it takes.

Remember this, in random pick-up games people will quit for whatever reason they choose... and there is nothing you, me, or WGT can do to prevent it.  Don't put yourself in the situation to deal with these people... your blood-pressure will thank you.

Have a nice day...

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 10:57 PM

Let me lay it out in terms that even you can understand. Thank you Richard. Eight months after your arrival you know it all, I'm glad you are here to keep us straightened out. Any day any course Richard.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 6:19 AM

claremoreblue:
    Any day any course Richard

Have you got something to prove? So we play nine holes and you win, maybe, then what, you've satisfied your ego? I don't have anything to prove, and have identified the fact that it's just a game. You should do the same. I never claimed to know it all. I'm calling it like I see it, and you don't like it apparently.

Eight months, and 600 ranked rounds, I think I know a little something about the game. Why don't you take some advice from WGTniv, and stop calling people out in the forums.

RSS