Forums

Help › Forums

meter

Sat, Apr 24 2010 9:42 AM (60 replies)
  • SWoods
    62 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 11:26 PM

I read all these posts and my opinions are usually with WGT. On this occassion also, I would like to not be on the the other side. At the same time, I would like to request WGT to do something about the meter. I have spent about ~$200 on this game since Feb 16th 2010 and would really love a smoother meter to enjoy the game more....WGT -- you listening?

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 11:42 PM

We absolutely are and have acknowledged this issue before.  We have been making a continual effort to improve meter performance and reduce the load on the CPU.  Unfortunately there is not a universal fix for this issue because the cause of the stutter can be unique from user to user.  We will continue to examine the root causes for this and encourage all users to take whatever steps they can to improve performance on their end.  If you have exhausted all options (some performance tips can be found on my profile) then you are welcome to send an email to members@worldgolftour.com and we will try our best to offer assistance.

Thank you for listening and we appreciate your patience.

• Matafact
    17 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 1:36 AM

Thanx WGTNiv,

As always, you are polite, helpful and understanding of issues that arise with WGT members. Been through all the performance tips, and at this stage, game is barely playable. If you go back to my earlier post, I have all kinds of crazy stuff going on since the update.

Being a computer nut, got my 1st in 1981 or so, it is intriguing to look at from my perspective. On 5 diff machines now<3 desktops/2 laptops>, on 3 diff net connections, 5 diff browsers on 3 of them, I am getting the same kind of results. I beta test for software companies as I have a wide variety of both computers and computer experience, so know a bit more then the avg Joe may about such things. I also have designed and set up webpages, and been a moderator on a few forums.

Game just is doing strange things on many levels, outrageous load times, putting me on tee in multiplayer matches with clock already ticked down to 55 seconds, ball stopping/starting on greens and in fairways, taking 15 to 20 seconds to "zoom" to look at landing area's, then 15 seconds to get back to front tee view, looking at reverse view on a putt and not being able to get back to "front" putting view at times, crazy meter all over the place, just insane to try and time,  game drops me out of say 1 out of 15 multiplayer matches normally, since update, now has risen more like 50% of time, notably almost always between 6th tee and 8th green.

Even more interesting from my perspective, bud lives 5 miles away, exact same ISP, with a computer with a few kids on it, with all sorts of crap, bugs, spyware, and yet he says he rarely has any issues with WGT, mostly only when he plays me. Now I keep after my stuff, virus test, malware check, spyware check on a reg basis, so know it is not that. I even went as far as to try gamebooster, and CFospeed, to see if it makes any difference. Neither has helped in anyway, and I know many seasoned WGT members that swear by both. Also interesting to note, most of the issues are happening in both single player mode and multiplayer mode, which is really odd.

Next up for me, updating a friends computer, new HD, new DVD burner,  new Video card, and a completely "clean install of Windows 7", working on it now, and will 'test" it out when I get it all put back together with WGT, just to see how game plays on it.

Thanx for your input/help Niv, hope this gets sorted, as you can imagine, playing with issues I have at present is no fun, at this point WGT is almost unplayable for me.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 1:57 AM

matafact,

If you don't mind another suggestion - if you have another HD laying around or if you can partition one with enuf room to install win7 again to dual boot, try it under a brand new install, with nothing else installed but AV and gamebooster.

I f@h on all my machines, so I have no spare cpu cycles to play  with. When I want to golf, I boot to Win 7 on a partition with nothing else installed and it works awesome 95% of the time, and the meter skips I do see are a lot less pronounced.

If nothing else it would be a good test to rule out connection issues, and very well might be a long term solution for you.

ymmv

• Matafact
    17 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 2:15 AM

VHL,

Working on that now, machine I am on now has Vista 64 bit Ultimate, updating a friends, and am going to try that next, just have to put it all back together, Install Windows 7 and stop poking in on here, lol...

Just odd, same things happening on all my machines, and on a neighbors to, on a completely diff. ISP, and he has XP Pro on machine,  I tried it at his place. I have XP home on 1, XP  Media on another, XP Pro on yet another, all legal valid copies mind you, and even took laptop to yet another house and hooked direct to his DSL modem to try and see if it helped, which it didn't. Intersting to note, on one of my machines, I do have a separate XP Pro partition I only use mostly to play poker,  and test games, and it is doing same strange things, so am puzzled as to why WGT and I can't seem to get along since update.

Count now up to 6 painful multiplayer rounds completed, with 6 dumps, always between 6th tee and 8th green. Even been pinging WGT servers to try and see if there is a major discrepancy from say psj-gs01wgt.com, psj-02,  03 etc.  to my location. Not finding any major differences in ping times, but not in a multiplayer game either at moment.

I tend to get absorbed by such things, obsessive-compulsive about them, been at it now for like 5 hours trying diff stuff just to nail down the problem, but not having much luck. Good news is just played 3 practice holes, and 1st time all day nothing very odd or extraordinary has happened during play, so fingers crossed.

• Matafact
    17 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 3:58 AM

Of note, on a clean install of 7, just played a 9 hole match with a guy, other then minor meter issues, was 'okay", best it has been for like 36 hours here. So maybe worst of it over, and other then about 6 balls lost, and 36 hours of hell, it is sorting itself out.

I know, I know, but those dang balls cost $$$, and I had to post losses in league match, guild match, and ladder matches over the crazy stuff that was going on with WGT last 2 days. No fun trying to hit a tee shot at Kia with a slow motion meter that all at once rockets off screen over the water on par 3, or on tee of 1st hole at St Andy's, with water on both sides either. Both got balls from me last day or so off tee more then once, as did the ditch at Kia.

Think WGT will let me go look for them sometime? I got Scuba gear! Or offer to give them back, lol...

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 6:16 AM

I found out the meter lag is an Adobe flash (macromedia) problem first and for most. The tips offered to help smooth the meter out help, but will always remain until Adobe flash does something to render a fix to the problem.

With all WGT has invested in the game, I think it would be wise for WGT to partner with Adobe flash in some fashion and find a fix for the meter problem.

In some strange way, I believe WGT doesn't mind the meter lag because it adds a degree of difficulty to the game. I don't see a fix for the meter anytime soon, IMO. The best advice anyone could give is deal with the present meter and plan accordingly during game play.

That's my 2 cents worth on the subject.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 7:42 AM

A very interesting case indeed. 

I will assume 99% of people are not really noticing much difference after the update but obviously a very small amount are indeed seeing issues, I think I seen at least 3 people saying the same thing.

As has been mentioned, anytime anything changes, ie you get a new club, you go to a new tier, an update happens, etc it seems the game does need a couple of days to smooth itself out. 

Also, it has been noted in the past by many people that the more "stuff" WGT seems to add to the game through updates the more impact it seems to have on the meter, which is not surprising.

------------------

Having said all that, this extreme  variance in gameplay after just an update is truly bizarre indeed.  It does sound more connection related but you said you have already tried your computer at someone elses house and yes, why should your connection change at the same time as the update, I know it doesn't add up. 

The ONE thing I will highly recommend is you turn the Flash quality down to Medium at the highest or better yet LOW (in the game choose the settings button).  I have experimented with this and have tried all the settings and it makes a surprisingly BIG difference especially with LOAD times.  The thing that I have noticed as well is when load times are generally longer that is when you have more issues (hand in hand).

On the low setting load times are almost always fast, this especially helps when you are playing in the peak hours since so much less information is being transferred at any given time.  I was having only very small issues most times and only like 3% of the time so I wasn't too concerned but sometimes in peak hours (and not that often like 10%) like Friday night I would get some erratic behaviour for a couple of hours like graphic stutters, scene stutters, meter stutters, long load times etc.  I have since got a job and now mostly play in peak hours, I have turned my Flash quality down and the effect is less and the video quality really isn't as bad as I thought, I am missing out on some bells and whistles but the faster load times alone are worth it I think.

This will NOT solve all the meter problems or all the other problems but in your case if you have not done this yet it might be a huge help until you find out what else could be causing such havoc. 

GL

• navigater
    1,319 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 9:19 AM

sounds like a dirty spot on his harddrive

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 9:56 AM

jayjonbeach:
    The ONE thing I will highly recommend is you turn the Flash quality down to Medium at the highest or better yet LOW (in the game choose the settings button).  I have experimented with this and have tried all the settings and it makes a surprisingly BIG difference especially with LOAD times.  The thing that I have noticed as well is when load times are generally longer that is when you have more issues (hand in hand)

A good point indeed Jay.

It's a shame however that the flash quality has to be compromised at all. I suppose some higher end systems can play with a high flash quality and experience some meter lag, whereas, a lower quality computer set to a low quality setting will produce the same amount of lag.

For me, I'm using game booster and clearing my flash and browser cache's before doing anything on the site and I really don't experience a whole lot of lag, but there is always that one meter stutter I just can't seem to let go by every other round that ruins a shot. Not a big deal though, it's just aggravating when it occurs. lol

RSS