Forums

Help › Forums

meter

Sat, Apr 24 2010 9:42 AM (60 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 8:52 AM

VanHalenLover:
    Having the newest and fanciest processor will do you no good if the communication channels to and from it can't keep up. Motherboard Bus types, sizes and speeds are the critical link here

I knew this going in and wound up with a 64 bit system for the 4GB RAM option and  the fastest buss speeds available. Probably why I don't have problems. I had a whole bunch of stuff going on when I looked at the load so I didn't expect to see anything unusual. I was just curious about what was typical.

I can multitask to my heart's content and never have a CPU load problem with the game. I did expect to see big jumps while in the game but didn't. I got the impression that there was a particular time when it would be worse than others.

@Richard. Yes, playing the game, listening to MLB.com and this forum.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 9:06 AM

This is great. I now know what to look for in my next PC purchase.

Thanks guys for all the information given.

Jim, you got the hook-up. It sounds like that's the kind of system we all need to play the game with a little less aggravation from the meter.

Maybe that set-up you got Jim should be the new system requirements for the game.

Thanks again guys. Great discussion.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 9:16 AM

Here's some good info too, an is you ever have a bad day and doubt yourself, read the first 2 paragraphs over again! LINK

@ Richard - if you really want to do yourself a favor, build your own to YOUR specs. It is much less expensive than retail, and you control what you get, not someone trying to find the happy trade off to deliver the right priced system. It really isn't that hard, and the BEST thing is that you are not handcuffed to OEM/mfg specific upgrades down the road. Your doing the same thing they are, but building what is right for YOU, without a name brand stamped on the front of it.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 9:35 AM

VanHalenLover:
    build your own to YOUR specs

This is good advice but you have to know what to ask for. I knew what to look for and was happy to find it in this Toshiba laptop. I need graphic intensive capability for the design program I use in cabinetmaking and the Vaio I was playing this game on wasn't cutting it. It handled the design program ok but not the game. What kicked everything into high gear for me was the dual processors, the 64 bit and the buss speed. Toshiba geared this to the higher end user, I think.

Hooking up with a Dell or HP isn't a real good idea if you want to expand later. You have to use their stuff. Nothing else works. Look around at your local computer shops-one of them is going to take care of you way better than Best Buy, or the like.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 9:56 AM

I didn't realize you you were on a laptop YJ, I think I looked right past that earlier. I'd not take on that build, desktops are it for me, lol.

Do you actually have two processors in that thing, or did you mean dual-core processor? Dual processors are not seen too often and are quite costly, and I've personally never seen them myself in a laptop. If you could keep them cool however, it would be an awesome setup! 

Do you run on-board graphics, or do they have  a gpu squeezed in that thing somehow?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 10:01 AM

I meant dual-core and the OB graphics are all I have. P8400 @2.26GHz. 

I think the 64 bit OS with the larger RAM is what does it.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 10:27 AM

3MB level2 cache is kickin! 64-bit and the associated memory (non)limitation is definitely a plus, for sure.  

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 2:09 PM

VanHalenLover:

[Norton has a habit of leaving a trail behind, even after uninstalling. It's darn near spyware in and of itself

That's SO true!

Another thing one could do to help boost performance is open up msconfig (Run; Msconfig) and clear everything on start up. This will also help to alleviate possible conflicts when installing AVG free after uninstalling symantec products.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 8:50 PM

Matafact:

All well and good, glad it is working on your end, but... How about having to watch clock run down in 4 second increments, as you can't pull back putter?  How bout next hole, going to reverse angle to look at putt and not being able to get back to front view? How bout ball stopping three times on green in a 6 foot putt? How bout meter jumping all over the place no matter how many practice swings you take???? How about zooming to look at landing area, and it taking 15 to 25 seconds to load?    How bout not even seeing clock till there are 55 seconds left on time????

been 4 finished rounds since update, cleared cache, reset router, checked speed to net, only getting 20 megabits a second net connection....  yeah my crap equipment, net connection definitely the issue....

Since most everyone is NOT having problems, why do you think the problems are on the WGT end? If they were there would be thousands of complaints, not a handful.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 5:17 AM

smason77:
    Another thing one could do to help boost performance is open up msconfig (Run; Msconfig) and clear everything on start up.

This one single action would probably clear up 90% of most user's problems with the game, especially if you're playing on an out of the box setup. Clearing everything is a no-no. There are something things that have to stay.

In depth discussion with pics here:  http://wgt.com/forums/t/6655.aspx?PageIndex=2

RSS