Forums

Help › Forums

Re: nice update

Fri, Jan 29 2010 9:04 AM (79 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2010 7:28 PM

Great, accurate and, as usual, cogent, useful advise from Mr. Faterson. The Daytona is a done deal for me. But first, I must replace my screen which is without color and makes putting rather difficult in black and white.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2010 7:31 PM

Faterson:

You've got to be kidding, Hyuuga. There's nothing more essential to your play than a good putter, and the TaylorMade Daytona is a great putter. I recommend for you and everyone to buy it right away, then you can throw away your Redwood & Spider. (Or sell them back, which will recover some of Daytona's cost.)

LOL come on now, lets not go overboard here.   Its got the same specs as the Redwood just a notch slower on meter speed, which will come down to personal preference.   Sames goes for the distance scale, TM is missing 45 foot option and instead has a 60 foot option. 

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2010 7:51 PM

jayjonbeach:
    just a notch slower on meter speed

And that "notch" makes a huge practical difference, trust me.    (Tested extensively in combination with GI-SD balls.) As to the non-availability of the 45‑foot meter scale, as someone mentioned before, this might actually be considered an improvement over the Redwood, because I, too, struggled somewhat when using the 45-foot scale.

Ms. SweetiePie, didn't you mention a while ago that, as a true upper-class gal, you throw away any piece of hardware that goes broken, instead of bothering to repair it?    Well, if you're getting a new monitor, I can only recommend you should be getting one with many inches in diameter! I play this game in full-screen on a 24-inch Samsung monitor, and let me tell you the green expanses of Bethpage & Kiawah look gorgeous on it, even though they are "blown-up" HD pictures instead of ones in their native resolution that we'd like to see. I also sometimes play the game in full-screen on my 46-inch Samsung TV, which is even more impressive; the whole living-room takes on a shade of green when the game is running on the TV screen.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2010 8:19 PM

Faterson:
    Ms. SweetiePie, didn't you mention a while ago that, as a true upper-class gal, you throw away any piece of hardware that goes broken, instead of bothering to repair it?

It is true, but I have a warranty on this one. Nevertheless,  something larger and more vivid is my desire. Thanks...again...as for class, time can only tell...LOL

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 5:25 AM

Faterson:
    And that "notch" makes a huge practical difference, trust me.

Only if you need the slow crutch. Keeping your meter speed consistent is the best reason for getting this. As I stated in an earlier post the 45 foot scale is invaluable to me, I use it easily 5-1 over all the others. To each his/her own..........

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 5:42 AM

YankeeJim:
    Only if you need the slow crutch. Keeping your meter speed consistent is the best reason for getting this.

Not for me. I have 3 fast-meter TaylorMade wedges in my bag, but have just upgraded from the Redwood to the Daytona putter. So, my meter is now "inconsistent", but I very much prefer that inconsistency over the former combination of fast-meter TM wedges & fast-meter Redwood. (I'll be soon swapping the Redwood putter for a bag of GI-SD balls; I had sold back the Spider several weeks ago.)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 6:40 AM

I'm confused. Preferring inconsistency in anything would seem to be counterproductive. At any rate, I don't advise mixing meter speeds for players looking to improve-there are enough variables as it is and compounding them by having to have different reflexes on different shots doesn't make sense. ES loves the slower meter while Oak falls asleep waiting for it to swing. I have fast everything and I believe it helps not having to wait. Like I said, to each his own.

I do believe many will love this putter and I encourage them to try it. However, you will need to give yourself time to learn it so don't quit on it. It's worth it. This thread does a good job of laying out Redwood's qualities and can be applied to the new putter.....

http://wgt.com/forums/t/4232.aspx?PageIndex=1

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 7:21 AM

YJ, totally with you on like having same swing meter on all clubs (except i do carry the rapture 3wd) i love the redwood, but what i'm starting to hear is that people are making so many more putts from 20ft. and in that i think i have no choice but to give it a try. that's really  where all my scoring is going to come from at this point. i don't use the gi-sd can't imagine how slow that would be with that new putter. thx. JB

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 8:36 AM

Heh-I'm almost ready to give it a try, jb. My only fear is from what I think causes players the most grief-messing with the meter speed. I read complaint after complaint about clubs not doing what you expected them to do and invariably, when I look at the equipment used I see slow-the-meter-down stuff, either balls or clubs. I have a sneaking suspicion a lot of the meter issues are brought on by influencing it. I have no empirical data to support this, just my own experiences. I will say that I don't have one tenth of the problems I read about here and everything I use is fast. If the ball doesn't go where I aimed it it's because I didn't hit it there. SweetiePie commented earlier elsewhere that she was so aggravated at the meter she switched to the free balls for a while and had the smoothest meter she's seen. 

LOL-I think I just talked myself out of trying it. Above all, this is just my opinion.

YJ

• bifferskipper
    76 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 9:04 AM

AtlantaCoaster:

badtigger...

No one is asking you to spend any money.  You can play for free for Infinity as the policies currently stand.  Members who spend money choose to do so voluntarily.

The degree to which persons have voluntarily decided to spend money suggests that a good number believe that WGT is "good enough to pay for."  

I personally have no problem with WGT earning enough $ to take care of itself AND maybe even earn a bit of profit.

Why do you have an allergy to WGT making some money to support a site that ANY of us could play for free, if we chose to do so?  I am just curious why this seems to be a source of anger.  

The entertainment I have received from WGT over the course of a year now is worth far more than any $ involved.

Regards,  AtlantaCoaster

i am right there with you AC,,i joined nov.15 09 and after playing for free after 2 weekss felt it was a good investment to buy equipment, as i feel its only to help futher the cause wgt is trying to get to...no regrets after $160 and still spending lol.

RSS