Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Is Protecting your handicap cheating?

Fri, Jan 15 2010 2:21 PM (57 replies)
  • nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 12:24 PM

Git,

WGT understands that some players must play from the same computer.  Not everyone has access to or can afford multiple PC's in their house.

As long as you are the only one playing on your account, your friend is the only one playing on his account and you are both physically playing your own shots only then there's no issue as far as I understand it.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 1:20 PM

I just want to put my two cents in on the 9, 18 hole average(handicap) thing. Several years ago I was a member of a small GC that was only 9 holes. We had a computer set up in the club house for the members to register their scores for their national handicap. Now, if I only played 9, I only registered 9 including what tees I played from. If I played 18, then the 18 holes were registered. We did NOT have 9 holes DOUBLED to become 18. Period. This is the problem here and has been mentioned before in the forums. WGT needs to step up and change the way they "average" the scores. It will at least help a little more with the fairness of it because IMO it`s generally easier to score low on a 9 hole round than a full 18. My own low 9 hole is 29. That gets recorded as 58, but my best 18 to date is 61. I think most peoples scores will show something similar. Having said it`s easier to score on 9 holes, I`ll also say it`s not as easy to score Consistent 29s unless I`m in the "zone".

My point is, the way the scores are averaged is wrong and IMO everyones average, in general, would be higher if the 9 hole scores were Not Doubled, but at least added to another 9 hole score. Cheers

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 2:29 PM

They happily deleted the account and never mentioned that part to me.I wish they would have because I didn't have a problem with it .I was just worried about getting caught and them banning me from the site.

Thanks for the info Nivlac.Seems like they would of told me that.

Thats what I was trying to say Metfitz, thanks for explaining it a little better.

Pugs he used a different email address than the one I use here at WGT.

I might have to send them another email..Hmmm

• WGTadmin
    1,166 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 3:26 PM

Hi Git,

Nivlac is right, we must have misunderstood the situation from your other email.  Please send us a note with your friend's username so we can remedy the situation.

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 12:38 PM

<deleted> nm, i played with one sandbagger earlier today

• blenny
    6 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 5:31 PM

I have run into more sandbaggers this week than in the 7 months I have been playing. Specifically "brand new" players who clearly are using another username and are hitting from the pink tees with monster clubs. I have DC'ed from at least 10 games in the last 5 days because of "ringers". What can be done? One of the reasons I enjoy this game is because golf is generally honorable.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 4:21 AM

blenny:

One of the reasons I enjoy this game is because golf is generally honorable.

But unfortunately gaming is not.

Just look at what happened to Battlenet (blizzard multiplayer) People would use trainers (third party software that brought your character to max level instantly) and hacked items (items that gave boosts so that they were unkillable)

There is also a GOD mode in most games where you cannot be killed.

I don't personally see why this is fun, but in this world of instant gratification, having to work for something just does not seem to be in the cards.

At the end of the day it is a game......Have fun and hit em straight. 

• andrewp7
    127 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 2:21 PM
    I notice that the individual who kicked all this off is rather prominent on his respective latest CTTH Challenge as well . . . .this suggests that with recent consecutive 18 hole scores of 177, 64, 173, he has a very bad case of the putting yips. Either that or he is a putter short of a full set of clubs if he does not think anyone will notice? You certainly would not want him as a foursomes partner if foursomes was on WGT . . .tho' I might take the chance on him as a fourball partner in the hope that he decides to be on a hot streak. Real golf is to a large extent self policing . . .so why aren't we? I have no problem naming and shaming if only by stating the facts with recent scores and letting people draw their own conclusions. Just my shillings worth
RSS