Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Average Scores on Par 3s,4s & 5s....

rated by 0 users
Wed, Mar 2 2011 6:27 PM (7 replies)
  • tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Tue, Mar 1 2011 10:53 PM

I pay a lot of attention to my stats, because I'm a bit of a saddo and like to see them improving continually. Despite the ridiculous number of ranked rounds I've completed I do see regular movement, albeit incrementally, in my driving accuracy, GiR, scrambling, sand saves etc. Recently my driving accuracy has moved by as much as 0.8% at 0.01% at a time. That said the set of stats that never move is my average scores on Par 3s, 4s and 5s. They seem eternally stuck on their current numbers.

Can anyone explain to me how that is? Surely if my driving accuracy can move from game to game, the score average should move over the course of 1 month or more?

• TylerDurdenJr
    100 Posts
    Wed, Mar 2 2011 4:28 PM

JMO.. but I would suggest that since you already have a "ridiculous number of ranked rounds" it's going to take a lot more to affect those particular statistics.

Take me  for example.. I only have like 15 or 16 ranked rounds played. By the time that I double my ranked rounds my avg par 3,4,5 scores should change drastically.

Yet for example you've 3701 ranked rounds. Statistically 50-100 more ranked rounds won't likely make much of a difference. It would take another 3701 ranked rounds for those averages to drastically change. You're pretty much locked in to those statistic until you play a substantial (for you probably 500 o so) more ranked rounds.

Don't know for sure but that's what i'm thinking.

source: studied statistics in college.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Wed, Mar 2 2011 5:15 PM

I understand all of that and it makes total sense to me, thanks for your input btw.  However I am seeing daily movement in my other statistics, so I can see no reason why the averages for the 3s,4s and 5s shouldn't move a bit over the course of a few months.

For every round I play there will be 14 drives, 18 greens in regulation to hit, 20 - 30 putts to be taken etc etc. To use putting as an example, I currently have 63,406 ranked putts. 2 months ago I averaged about 48.50% for my one putt percentage. Now it is 52.75%, a huge increase over a short period in time.

If that can increase by 8.77% in 2 months, you would expect to see at least a 0.01 increase or decrease on the average scores during that period. Maybe I am over complicating it, maybe I should get a life, lol. If someone can explain it to me though I'd appreciate it.......

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Wed, Mar 2 2011 5:45 PM

LOL, I look at those same stats Tiffer. I get a little embarrassed looking at them, knowing that when I first joined I played for a month, hit it all over the yard really not giving a shilt about anything. Came back few months later and tried my best, but wow I think I have like 60 some "others" on my stats lol. Kinda wish we could reboot the stats (still keep these as official) just to see where we really are now. JB

• TylerDurdenJr
    100 Posts
    Wed, Mar 2 2011 5:53 PM

I would just say that there are many less variables in certain aspects of the game..

For example hitting or not hitting a fairway only offers two variables. You do.. or you don't.

As far as your putting statistics.. perhaps you've been having much more success with the stick? IDK.

I really don't know. I'm trying to be helpful but maybe it's all dependent upon some secret WGT algorithm! 

In terms of basic math.. or even advanced math such as trig and calculus... it's very difficult to figure out what computations they use and how they apply them. These are things that are WGT's best kept secrets.

I would simply suggest to just play your game.. and check it again in few months. 

Also are you referring strictly to forms of (ranked/scored) stroke play? If not what other element of play?

I'm trying to explain it... but alas I don't have all the answers.. only WGT does and they don't seem to like to talk too much about this kind of stuff! lol.

GL Cheers.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Wed, Mar 2 2011 5:54 PM

LOL JB, the dreaded "others" stat. I have 53 of them myself but I can categorically state that every one of them was down to the total ineptitude of my play, lol......

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Wed, Mar 2 2011 5:58 PM

TylerDurdenJr:

I would just say that there are many less variables in certain aspects of the game..

For example hitting or not hitting a fairway only offers two variables. You do.. or you don't.

As far as your putting statistics.. perhaps you've been having much more success with the stick? IDK.

I really don't know. I'm trying to be helpful but maybe it's all dependent upon some secret WGT algorithm! 

In terms of basic math.. or even advanced math such as trig and calculus... it's very difficult to figure out what computations they use and how they apply them. These are things that are WGT's best kept secrets.

I would simply suggest to just play your game.. and check it again in few months. 

Also are you referring strictly to forms of (ranked/scored) stroke play? If not what other element of play?

I'm trying to explain it... but alas I don't have all the answers.. only WGT does and they don't seem to like to talk too much about this kind of stuff! lol.

GL Cheers.

I appreciate your comments TD...and your honesty. The stats only ever refer to ranked rounds thankfully. Were they to include matchplay scoring stats in there I'd have well over 100,000 feckin putts. You'd never believe I once had aspirations of being a CEO of a Dow 100 company, lol......

• TylerDurdenJr
    100 Posts
    Wed, Mar 2 2011 6:27 PM

tiffer67:

I appreciate your comments TD...and your honesty. The stats only ever refer to ranked rounds thankfully. Were they to include matchplay scoring stats in there I'd have well over 100,000 feckin putts. You'd never believe I once had aspirations of being a CEO of a Dow 100 company, lol......

lol well I think you're being sarcastic but it's never too late to fulfill such aspirations. I'm a measly pro.. I don't worry about stats. My stats suck!... and I don't see them getting much better as I really can't afford better clubs and don't wish to waste my time on the surveys.

Personally.. I play for fun... but If I were in the Legend tier such as you.. I could understand your conundrum. You have a motive to be competitive.. my only motive is to get on here and have fun! And there is nothing wrong with either of those scenarios. We all take it for what it 's worth to US!

GL Tiffer.. hope to see you up there on the leader board sometime soon!

RSS