Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Headwinds & tailwinds ?

Sun, Feb 13 2011 9:34 AM (6 replies)
  • broncosrule
    8 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 7:58 PM

Just wondering if there is any formula/rule of thumb for headwinds & tailwinds, such as : adding or subtracting 1 foot of power for every 1 mile of wind when it comes to the approach shots ? In advance, thks for any advice !

• Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 9:14 PM

I have always used the divide the mph by 3 then add or subtract as yards from distance.

It is a rule of thumb though and sometime it lets you down...

Maybe someone more experienced than me would have something more solid to propose to you. GL

Sanco

• cjfelton
    79 Posts
    Sat, Feb 12 2011 5:32 AM

I divide by two and add or subtract accrodingly.  If you ding the meter you will be close except for some of the holes where from experience you know you need more or less club.  For example BPB #1 back left pin placement and BPB #11 front left (unless you are inside 130 yards) are both +8 yards after calculating the wind even though the elevation change does not indicate that.  Of course the spin on the ball you play needs to be factored in also.

• Alsgame
    9 Posts
    Sat, Feb 12 2011 6:14 AM

I divide by two except under 100 yards then by 3 and around 20 to 30 yards i dont change anything for windage.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Sat, Feb 12 2011 10:28 AM

All of these suggestions are good, but also remember that punch shots are not as affected by wind.

• cjfelton
    79 Posts
    Sun, Feb 13 2011 6:07 AM

Excellent point zag.  This is especially true with crosswind.  With a stiff tail or headwind you can learn from experience how to apply the appropriate amount of top or backspin to essentially negate the wind.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sun, Feb 13 2011 9:34 AM

zagraniczniak:
    All of these suggestions are good, but also remember that punch shots are not as affected by wind.

and as well, a 16 mph wind directly in your face will affect the shot distance more than a 16 mph wind that is at 4:30 (which obviously affects the distance more than the head on wind does)

lots of variables

RSS