Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Why isn't WGT more like real golf?

Fri, Feb 11 2011 3:10 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2011 4:52 AM

Mnshiner - by ISP address I assume you mean IP address?  If so, then I think this is a no-go'er.  I know of at least one multiple account household; the husband and wife both play, and play at the same time on different computers.  And they are definitely not sandbaggers.

Strangely enough I was thinking about this exact same thing this morning.  Here's what I suggest:

Don't allow new account players to play RG's or MPC's until they have played x number of ranked rounds.  Lol - just thought as I was writing this that it may not work either as all they have to do is finish ranked games with high scores to keep their average high and therefore not advance tiers.  But, nonetheless, an idea is there, maybe WGT or someone else could refine or add to it to make it work.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2011 9:04 AM

MioKontic:
    Don't allow new account players to play RG's or MPC's until they have played x number of ranked rounds.  Lol - just thought as I was writing this that it may not work either as all they have to do is finish ranked games with high scores to keep their average high and therefore not advance tiers.

How about limiting the amount you can win in a  tier? Make that amount and you get bumped up.

• BiggusDoggus
    6 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 3:10 AM

mnshiner:

Again and again I read about folks who might have multiple accounts. As a former web site owner of one of these message boards so to speak there is a way to stop it. It is called ISP. Every web host has a Control Panel where you as the Administrator handles for your specific site.

For example if I was the domain owner of this site I could find a ISP address for everyone who has posted here and block a second username using that same addy.

I'm afraid it's not quite that simple. It is pretty easy for anyone to use different "isp" address (by which I assume you mean IP) for each account they hold - never heard of proxy servers? Equally, there will be many players who don't have static IP addresses and so potentially get a different address from their ISP each time they logon. As a result, you'd have a problem with multiple perfectly valid players who just happen to share the same ISP and therefore could easily and through no fault of their own, connect to the WGT servers with an IP address that another player has used previously.

Add in the number of households where more than one person plays, and basically you're not even remotely close to a plan that would allow you to weed out multi-account players.

There are ways to do it, trust me there are, but it's not easy, it requires a lot of time and effort in analysis of connection information (among other things), and even then it's not 100% guaranteed.

• PAGES
RSS