Forums

Help › Forums

Re: I get a new computer for Christmas and....

Thu, Dec 30 2010 6:17 AM (37 replies)
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 12:30 PM

Thanks for that link to the thread.  It does kinda sorta confirm what I had been thinking about work being distributed evenly across the cores unless affinity has been set for a process.  It also adds a telling note "In a game that can use more than one core, it spreads out the work load between the cores. No core is at 100% but you may see one at 60% one at 40% and one at 30% depending on what work it is given. This is up to the individual game" 

To me that indicates not all games support mutli-core and I'm thinking any Flash based game doesn't run well on mult-core as indicated by Farmville and WGT.

I already use the Performance tab in the task manager to view CPU utilization.  Didn't you read my "What are these CPU Spikes?" thread?  LOL

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 1:51 PM

YankeeJim:

Stebo:
    mine came with wireless mouse...could that be my delay?  does wireless react differently?  Do they make a gaming mouse?

Yes, yes and yes. You don't need a gaming mouse, though. The basic $20 version works fine. 

YJ, thats a first I've heard of a wireless vs hard wired (NEC lol). I play w/wireless <6in from inputt on a laptop. Are you saying wireless will have that fraction of a millisec lag?

I'm not doubting just getting educated. ;)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 2:25 PM

Without question, Dave. There are some that say it's not a problem. I used to use a wireless mouse but to satisfy my own curiosity I went to a USB mouse and the difference was very noticeable for me. Been there ever since.  :-)

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 2:51 PM

I also recently got a new laptop, i7 quadcore w/ dedicated graphics.  For me the game was completely unplayable on google chrome, meter sputtering the entire way, on every swing.  Firefox with 10.1 flash was not a whole lot better, nearly unplayable.   After rolling back to 10.0 flash the meter has been fine, just the occasional meter stutter.

Also got a new g9x gaming mouse to go along with it, to replace the wireless vx nano logitech I'd been using the past 2 years, a nice improvement, great mouse.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 4:00 PM

BolloxInBruges:
    Also got a new g9x gaming mouse to go along with it,

What benefit does a gaming mouse have?  I have no idea, what it would enable you to do.

Cheers,

b0gey

Edit  *I Hope you are getting a commission for mentioning the mouse you just purchased :)

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 4:50 PM

YankeeJim:
    Without question, Dave. There are some that say it's not a problem. I used to use a wireless mouse but to satisfy my own curiosity I went to a USB mouse and the difference was very noticeable for me. Been there ever since.  :-)

Thanx alot Jim.... just spent another $100 smackers on a wireless ear/mike for SKYPE (which I can't seem to talk to others only hear) Now im going to be paranoid w/my wireless mouse!!!;(..oh well whats another $20-40 bucks (so I can have 2 mices) just to have ALL the gizmo's,sachsmo's,do this do that... just to play this FREE game. ROTFL

edit...after reading Bollie's update GAME MOUSE, another Ben Franklin outta do it. That'll put me at about 6 bills into this FREE GAME. ROTFCrying

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 4:15 AM

Hi All,

Its a funny old game eh ? lol.  Bollies unplayable on Chrome ?????

Mine plays perfectly on Google Chrome - dont have to much of an issue on the swing meter. Dont forget let it swing thru a few times before you hit though. That definately works.

Also - on the mouse. I ditched my wireless mouse, just wasnt up to scratch. I bought an Ikari Laser gaming mouse - $50 on special. Boy do I love my mouse !! lolol  

Anyway there it is. For me its Chrome an Ikari Mouse = perfection, well almost lol.

Cheers

Doug

• GOBOISESTATE
    6 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 6:17 AM

I'm back! Can't believe this turned into an IT support thread! Thanks everyone for your help.

I found a solution!

It wasn't Chrome

It wasn't an earlier version of Flash

It wasn't CPU ulitization

It wasn't decrapifier

It wasn't UAC

It wasn't defragmentation

It was.....

(drum roll)

...plugging in a MOUSE!

Instead of using my touch-pad buttons, I took the advice shared here and plugged in a basic HP mouse and ta-da! It seemed to work better.

I can't hit the center line as often - mostly because I'm not used to it yet, but did shoot some decent rounds (for me) yesterday.

So, thanks to everyone for your help.

RSS