Help › Forums

Re: It's Not Even Fair nor Realistic

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 27 2010 11:10 AM (45 replies)
  • Tordman
    3 Posts
    Sat, Jul 17 2010 4:10 PM

snowdog650:

Some of the comments here are nearly laughable.  Realistic?  It's a VIDEO GAME.  How realistic is it that I can play for a couple of months and now consistently shoot in the high 60's at St. Andrews?  Would that happen in real life?  Has anyone been watching the Open?

And then the comments telling people that they have no talent.  Hilarious.  Again ... it is a VIDEO GAME.  Those who rip others for not being as "talented" in WGT as they are probably the same person who has never shot below 100 in real life.

And finally, to the OP ... I agree, it can be frustrating, and I'm not going to tell you how to think or what to feel.  But in my experience, I remember being a hack and shooting in the 80's against Pros who were shooting low 70's.  I thought that was going to be unobtainable.  Now, I just got Master status and shoot in the mid 60's - low 70's more times than not, and I sometimes play against people who smoke me.  I don't get all bent out of shape over it.  I just try to improve.  I watch what the better players do, and try to replicate their good shots to complement my own play. 

As far as dividing the field into different groups for tournaments because we have some folks who are VERY, VERY good at this game is also a mistake, I think.  At the US Open did they have a separate tournament for Tiger, Lefty, and Stricker ... then the rest of the field?  Does Wimbledon have a separate tournament for Nadal and Federer, and another for the rest?  In real life, the best way to improve your game is to be thoroughly challenged.  Whether that is by tough conditions or against the best players out there ... it is all the same.

In the end ... this is a video game.  It shouldn't be 100% realistic ... if it were, I would be shooting 80's and 90's and breaking clubs.  If the game causes too much stress in your life because you feel wronged every time you play, then maybe it is time to move on to another source of entertainment.

Dude, you just said we shouldn't compare this game to real life and at the same time when it came to dividing the field you compared it to real life.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Jul 17 2010 5:24 PM

snowdog650:
    As far as dividing the field into different groups for tournaments because we have some folks who are VERY, VERY good at this game is also a mistake, I think.  At the US Open did they have a separate tournament for Tiger, Lefty, and Stricker ... then the rest of the field? 

No, but...it is a very elite field.

US Open Championship Qualifying

The total number of players allowed to play in the US Open Championship is 156. The competition is open to any professional golfer or any amateur player who has a handicap of less than 1.4. In order to qualify a player must be exempt or play in a qualifying tournament.

• TarheelsRule
    5,489 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 12:32 PM

I think that the normal US Open field, counting the qualifying folks is over 7,000.  You have to have a handicap index of 1.4 as mentioned above but that only gets you into the first level of qualifying.  If you move though that, generally about 10% make it though that level, then you move into sectional qualifying along with all the folks who made it plus those exempt from the first level, tour pros, etc.  I think that around 5% of those folks make it into the open.  Generally about 50% of the 156 person field had to go through either one or two rounds of qualifying.

Years ago I had the handicap index and tried to qualify.  I think it was 2.8 then and played with a friend who was a plus 2 index.   The qualifying courses are set up very difficult and very long.  I manged to shoot 83 and 81 in my two rounds, which put me way out of any chance to qualify.  I think the 3 people from our site shot around 6 under for the two rounds.  My attempt got me a letter from the USGA in which I was asked to explain who I shot 12 over par for 2 rounds with an index of 2.8, standard from them when you exceed some magic number.  My response was that I played badly   lol  They do this to keep folks from going out to play on a good course with a practice round for the sum of $50, at the time.  Hey I thought 3 rounds at Pinehurst for $50 was fair.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 3:41 AM

MizzBowhunter:

I think there is an elite group of about 25 people here that can consitantly "beat" the game.  I would love to see them play against each other, and the rest of us Masters who have 65-68 averages play against each other in  tournaments. ... I would just like to have some more competitive tournaments for us average masters.

WGT has mentioned that they expect to add new levels as the number of players increases and the game matures. So maybe those players you mention who are simply playing at a higher level than other Masters (Gonads in Ghent, Robert E. Avatar and the like) will qualify for some new Stratosphere level. More power to them for their hard work and achievement.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 6:28 AM

Nice respect for our Open champs, stay classy there Zagnut. JB

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 11:10 AM

Well, my little golf cap is off to them.

Zag

RSS