Help › Forums

For OPY .... Name That Hole

Sun, Sep 10 2023 8:13 AM (110 replies)
  • MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Tue, Jul 11 2023 3:29 AM

BlackBogey:

@ScottHope

"Here's two nice images of the 6th tee, but I have no idea what that box is."

Divot mix?  Just a guess, I always thought they didn't necessarily repair divots on links courses, but maybe they do on the tee boxes?

BlackBogey:

@ScottHope

"Here's two nice images of the 6th tee, but I have no idea what that box is."

Divot mix?  Just a guess, I always thought they didn't necessarily repair divots on links courses, but maybe they do on the tee boxes?

Yes, my thought was that it was a divit box and ball washer (seen better in HP's photo), although I've never seen a raised divot box before.  I'm pretty sure some links courses will have divot boxes on the tees to help maintain the course.

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Tue, Jul 11 2023 3:40 AM

Well done to HP for being the first to find the bench (taken from a forward tee on the 6th), particularly as she is our bench guru and hadn't actually seen it before.  When I was searching for HP's last bench I knew it had to be near a tee box somewhere, so I tried hitting to a few forward tee boxes... et voila, I found another bench!

HP also got the photo of the divot box and ball washer on that tee box, for which she wins another sleeve of balls.  That's the first time I've seen a raised divot box, and also the first time I've seen a ball washer attached to it, which makes a lot of sense as they can then both be moved around as necessary.

So well done to HP for winning both sleeves of balls, and deservedly so for all the effort she puts into trying to keep at least some part of the forum fun.

Here's one of the screenshots I took at the time:

• ScottHope
    10,095 Posts
    Tue, Jul 11 2023 4:39 AM

BlackBogey:

Sounds like you play IRL BB, so you will have a much better idea than me. I wonder what those curved projections are for too.

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Tue, Jul 11 2023 5:02 AM

ScottHope:

BlackBogey:

Sounds like you play IRL BB, so you will have a much better idea than me. I wonder what those curved projections are for too.

I thought it was a grill... 

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Tue, Jul 11 2023 9:45 AM

ScottHope:
    I wonder what those curved projections are for too.

Do you mean that stone marker to the right of the forward teeing area?  If so, I'd say that's most likely a tee yardage marker.

I do remember many years ago someone asking about the stone in the middle of the 5th fairway on St Andrews (which I'm sure we've all tried to hit, but unfortunately the ball goes right through it), and I think the answer was that it was a distance marker to somewhere before the Old Course was even a golf course.

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Tue, Jul 11 2023 11:24 AM

ScottHope:

BlackBogey:

To hold extra clubs or a towel most likely.  Depending on how far the cart path is from the tee box you may want to take several clubs with you so you don't have to walk back to the cart, particularly on a par 3 where you might be between 2 or even 3 clubs depending on elevation/wind/yardage (just like on here ;-).

• HamdenPro
    2,415 Posts
    Tue, Jul 11 2023 12:27 PM

BlackBogey:
    To hold extra clubs or a towel most likely.

Considering the rules, governing cart use on the Old Course, I would surmise the curved bars are to lean golf bags against, rather than lay them on the ground.

You may also notice a ball washer is affixed to the box as well. The box, most likely contains a sand/seed mix, as BB says, to replace divots.

Then again, the box could contain tea and biscuits!

• ScottHope
    10,095 Posts
    Tue, Jul 11 2023 12:48 PM

MioKontic:
    ScottHope:
    I wonder what those curved projections are for too.
    Do you mean that stone marker to the right of the forward teeing area?  If so, I'd say that's most likely a tee yardage marker.

Nope, I meant the sticky out bits on the box on legs.

Thanks for the info guys, informative and humorous.  ; )

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Tue, Jul 11 2023 1:19 PM

HamdenPro:

BlackBogey:
    To hold extra clubs or a towel most likely.

Considering the rules, governing cart use on the Old Course, I would surmise the curved bars are to lean golf bags against, rather than lay them on the ground.

You may also notice a ball washer is affixed to the box as well. The box, most likely contains a sand/seed mix, as BB says, to replace divots.

Then again, the box could contain tea and biscuits!

Excellent point HamdenPro.  I never realized they were still so regressive as to cart use until you mentioned it and I googled it.  I would still guess the curved pieces are for holding a few clubs as opposed to a bag, just from others I've seen used that way over here, but who knows?

Perhaps DodgyPutter could pop in and ask someone at the club ; ) 

• HamdenPro
    2,415 Posts
    Tue, Jul 11 2023 5:03 PM

BlackBogey:

I would still guess the curved pieces are for holding a few clubs as opposed to a bag, just from others I've seen used that way over here, but who knows?

Perhaps DodgyPutter could pop in and ask someone at the club ; ) 

I do not think Dodgy is that close to pop in, but maybe he will call the club house and find out for us.

A while back, a friend and I were debating what certain structures were, near a certain green on Olympic, he said Kennels and I disagreed. I called the course and was connected to the Pro Shop. The person I spoke with had no idea and referred me to the San Francisco Building Inspection (Dept.). I got the number and then called. They were actually very helpful after finding out why I was calling. It ended up be some time of abandoned water pumping station for the sewers.

EDIT: Nonetheless, I am pretty confident the bars are for bags, although you could use it for a few clubs. However, unless they have other such bars to lean your bag against, you might break the Royal protocol by laying your bag on the ground whilst you carry a few clubs to lean against the bars.

If you anticipate having to do that, you then have to hire a caddie who, most likely, will lean the bag against the bars attached to the box in question.

RSS