For OPY .... Name That Hole

Sun, Sep 10 2023 8:13 AM (110 replies)
  • HamdenPro
    2,423 Posts
    Tue, Jul 18 2023 8:15 AM

craigswan:
    pinehurst  no 2

Nope...

Anyone else want to try to get the correct course and hole, where this bench is located, for a sleeve of balls?

• ScottHope
    10,130 Posts
    Tue, Jul 18 2023 9:01 AM

Are you going to tease us with a little bit more?  8 )

• craigswan
    31,029 Posts
    Tue, Jul 18 2023 11:06 AM

Got to be congressional .

• HamdenPro
    2,423 Posts
    Tue, Jul 18 2023 11:43 AM

ScottHope:
    Are you going to tease us with a little bit more? 

Why would I do that. The more hints I provide, the closer I am to having to buy balls.

EDIT: OK, here is a hint.... The course is located in North America

• callaghan159
    6,229 Posts
    Tue, Jul 18 2023 5:23 PM

ScottHope:

I'd change my coal merchant if I were you Craig.

LOL😂😂😂

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Sat, Jul 22 2023 3:28 AM

HamdenPro:

I think i know the course, now I just need to go get a plane ticket to go look for the bench.  My travels begin.

• HamdenPro
    2,423 Posts
    Sun, Jul 23 2023 1:11 PM

MioKontic:
    I think i know the course, now I just need to go get a plane ticket to go look for the bench. 

Any hint as to the airport you will be disembarking at?

I am sure we can arrange limousine service.

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Sun, Jul 23 2023 4:34 PM

HamdenPro:
    I am sure we can arrange limousine service.

A limousine?  That's very kind of you.  Since the limousine will be much more comfortable than the plane (I assume there will be a drinks service), I'll just land at Boston Logan International and then have a nice long ride to... well, that's a secret at the moment.  I would like to do a little sightseeing, so would the chauffeur mind popping by the Cheers bar in Boston on our way out of the city?

• HamdenPro
    2,423 Posts
    Sun, Jul 23 2023 6:02 PM

MioKontic:
    I'll just land at Boston Logan International and then have a nice long ride to... well, that's a secret at the moment.  I would like to do a little sightseeing, so would the chauffeur mind popping by the Cheers bar in Boston on our way out of the city?

Well, there are closer airports and landing at Logan puts you that much closer to GonFission...no worries, he is not allowed any where near airports.

As for Cheers bar, it is not really the Cheers bar you want, it is actually the "Bull & Finch Pub" where the show was filmed. It is down below street level under the hotel.

:)

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Sun, Jul 23 2023 6:27 PM

Ok, so I landed at Boston, and thanks to HP, the limousine, a stretch Lincoln Town Car no less (I actually drove a normal Lincoln Town Car back in 1993 as a hire car when a goup of us went to play a few courses at Myrtle Beach - awesome!), with a nice glass of port thrown in.  My initial investgation into the said bench had taken me to the WGT course selection page.  Pinehurst was a good shout, but wrong.  Edgewood Tahoe was another possibility, but I figured unlikely.  So that left me with two possible options - Oakmont or Bethpage Black.

You can see from the pictures (click on the image for a larger version) that Oakmont has the wrong type of trees, whereas Bethpage seems to have the correct sort.  So after I'd finished the glass of vintage port I ordered the Chauffeur to drive to Bethpage.

I hacked around the front 9, finding benches on the 2nd tee, behind the 5th green (probably on the 6th tee), and on the 9th tee.  But none of them matched the one that was needed.  So onto the back 9.  Having lost a ball with my first shot to the right of the 10th tee (I'd already lost a ball on the front 9 in a similar fashion, but don't worry, they are cheap balls I don't want anyway), I hacked around the teeing areas for a little longer, but could not find said bench, so on I went.  I played a drive, from a now-forward tee, towards the end of the fairway.

Now if you've ever watched the film "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" you will know what I mean when I say I had exactly the same feeling as the guy who found the Big W.  Look...

You see it?  Do you?  The tree with the V, just like in HP's picture.  And there's something beside it.  I ran back to the clubhouse as fast as my legs would take me and got into my WGT-sponsored helicopter for a better look from the air:

It's a bit clearer now, but still not totally definitive.  I had to get closer.  So back down the 10th I went.  A 4ball were just coming off the 9th green, but after I told them of my discovery they allowed me to cut in.

Et Voila!  The said bench behind the 10th green.

Once again, no prize is necessary, it was fun to find.

RSS