Forums

Help › Forums

WGT is now available on Steam Early Access!

Tue, May 12 2020 11:50 AM (75 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2020 12:18 PM

kavvz:
    Tons of advantages to having it on a platform like Steam.

But what difference in game play is there? In other words, if one is not interested in those extras, what is the difference between the version we have now and the Steam version?

p.s., As an aside, wasn't there another game on Steam that was suppose to wreck WGT? :-D

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2020 12:42 PM

YankeeJim:

kavvz:

But what difference in game play is there? In other words, if one is not interested in those extras, what is the difference between the version we have now and the Steam version?

p.s., As an aside, wasn't there another game on Steam that was suppose to wreck WGT? :-D

As far as the game goes, I don't know what's different - if anything.

But, if some of those extras come to fruition, people should be very interested.  

I do recall that game Lol.  Seems people who jumped over there didn't stay very long.  he he

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2020 1:37 PM

kavvz:

YankeeJim:

kavvz:

As far as the game goes, I don't know what's different - if anything.

But, if some of those extras come to fruition, people should be very interested.  

What extras?  The only thing you listed that would have any effect on the game was Steam workshop, is it there?  As to "a real AC is now possible" it was a lot more possible before we saw that VAC is not included with wgt on steam.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2020 2:00 PM

Just because it's not VAC enabled now, doesn't mean it won't be.

It's early access still remember.

• BogeyOne
    1,966 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2020 3:12 PM

kavvz:

I do recall that game Lol.  Seems people who jumped over there didn't stay very long.  he he

The game you are referring to is Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf. It was originally released under the name Perfect Parallel. Don't know who made the claim about it destroying WGT as that certainly was not made by its creators. The game is vastly different in every way from WGT.  The interface is far superior and does tons of stuff than WGT offers. One has to give it some time, not just a day or two, to explore all the options and figure out how to use them. 

Unlike WGT, the game is not free. If I recall correctly, I paid $34.99 for it and now never have to purchase anything else. Everything is furnished.  However, many years ago I abandoned it because the computer I had at that time could not handle the demanding graphics. With the talk of flash going away coupled with my Linux operating system, I returned to JNPG and found it to be quite good (once figured out and using the shortcut buttons which I had no knowledge of on my initial trial) and now I am really involved with the game.  There is a very active community playing JNPG.

About 20 or so courses come pre-loaded with the game but there are 448 free courses available for download.

I joined that site and could not be happier. Check it out and you will be shocked to find out the depth of the community.

I now only play one round a day on WGT to keep my consecutive days running but could really care less about this game. Should I ever change my mind and find myself drawn to it again, at least I will not have thrown away that statistic.

Again, any Linux users out there, JNPG does play on Linux. It also works on Windows and Mac.

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2020 4:02 PM

BogeyOne:
    Don't know who made the claim about it destroying WGT as that certainly was not made by its creators.

There were lots of people in the forums here who were hooting and hollering and licking their lips about how WGT was finally going to have some serious competition and it would be a big comeuppance for them. Those same people were saying they would be off like a shot the moment PP opened their doors. I don't think they made quite as much noise when they came drifting back to WGT though.

BogeyOne:
    About 20 or so courses come pre-loaded with the game but there are 448 free courses available for download (including all those found on WGT)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Congressional, Oakmont or The Olympic Club are available where you indicated.

I tried that game back then out of curiosity and had a look again recently but I still don't like it as much as WGT. I'm happy for you that you like it so much more but graphically I find it poorer and the camera views and ball flight physics I find to be lesser alternatives.

I've never stopped playing WGT and I won't now either, until the day it is gone from this world, or the day I am. I don't care about my CDP at all so I'm not as interested in that "statistic" as you are. 

In short, in all these years I have still never found a golf game that compares favourably to WGT and that certainly includes the one you are talking about.

Oh and by the way, you might want to remove the direct references and link from your post. WGT never did take particularly kindly to people effectively advertising competitor products in the forum, and I can't say I blame them.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2020 4:31 PM

BogeyOne:
    The game you are referring to is Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf.

No it wasn't, it was Perfect something-I-don't-remember. Perfect Parallel? Something like that.

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2020 4:46 PM

Steam EA is same as the PC early access.Already had steam platform so took few minutes to setup and the game is the same as the PC EA no difference.

Perfect Parallel sucked and the 10,000 different options made ut even worst.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2020 5:07 PM

Wutpa:

BogeyOne:
    About 20 or so courses come pre-loaded with the game but there are 448 free courses available for download (including all those found on WGT)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Congressional, Oakmont or The Olympic Club are available where you indicated.

It has all the courses including the CTTH courses as a full 18. 

• BogeyOne
    1,966 Posts
    Tue, Apr 14 2020 6:03 PM

Jim, please read the first two sentences of that post: "The game you are referring to is Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf. It was originally released under the name Perfect Parallel."

Same game.

RSS