Forums

Help › Forums

WGT is now available on Steam Early Access!

Tue, May 12 2020 11:50 AM (75 replies)
  • dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 5:48 AM

PRIESTESS:
    dedBuNNy:

VAC only does so much at the best of times.

WGT should do their best to thwart the ability to run the game in 'windowed' mode or alter output resolutions.

In fact they'd be advised to implement that feature as their own AC. If the launch script detects that it is not running in full screen mode, no border, or game window output is being interfered with, then that account should be banned.

Full screen mode puts more pressure on graphics and steam isn,t the most computer friendly platform as it is.

One of the reasons for doing that is because once something is running in windowed mode it's treated differently as an application, the window frame/border isn't benign it's a windows function. Security not graphics related. As long as they're not going to setup a VAC server, they should do it, but this game isn't they type of game in which VAC would have any real effect on anyway. 

The new game doesn't really require anymore graphic horsepower than the old one, WGT didn't build any 3D elements into the game, there's no physics engines used. Other than the avatars, which certainly aren't any 3D wonders, they don't hit resources much, no real rendering required there.

They used Unity as a platform tool only, this game is still 'browser pushed' just as the Flash version is. The heaviest resource is still networking / connectivity. 

• salamicus
    1,016 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 6:40 AM

Don't know that Steam has any use for us who came from WGT site...It's probably just to reach to people in that gaming community. Who probably has more interesting thing to play than WGT golf :)

Nik

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 7:46 AM

kavvz:

BogeyOne:

kavvz:

I do recall that game Lol.  Seems people who jumped over there didn't stay very long.  he he

The game you are referring to is Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf. 

Nope, wasn't referring to that one.

Something something golf club if I recall...

Golf Club 2 and Golf Club 2019. They use an XBox Controller to play

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 8:01 AM

DonCaron:

kavvz:

BogeyOne:

kavvz:

I do recall that game Lol.  Seems people who jumped over there didn't stay very long.  he he

The game you are referring to is Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf. 

Nope, wasn't referring to that one.

Something something golf club if I recall...

Golf Club 2 and Golf Club 2019. They use an XBox Controller to play

Correct ( 2019 is the newest one of above) but can play on PC also.

Great game, but bloody difficult. Just have to keep with it. 

Totally different to WGT in play as it is generally joy stick controlled (xbox/PS4 anyway, unsure regards PC).

TGCTours is the website......unbelievable work done there by folk

Anyway.....best not advertise too much 

Just thought i would pop in ;-)

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 8:42 AM

dedBuNNy:

PRIESTESS:
    dedBuNNy:

VAC only does so much at the best of times.

WGT should do their best to thwart the ability to run the game in 'windowed' mode or alter output resolutions.

In fact they'd be advised to implement that feature as their own AC. If the launch script detects that it is not running in full screen mode, no border, or game window output is being interfered with, then that account should be banned.

Full screen mode puts more pressure on graphics and steam isn,t the most computer friendly platform as it is.

One of the reasons for doing that is because once something is running in windowed mode it's treated differently as an application, the window frame/border isn't benign it's a windows function. Security not graphics related. As long as they're not going to setup a VAC server, they should do it, but this game isn't they type of game in which VAC would have any real effect on anyway. 

The new game doesn't really require anymore graphic horsepower than the old one, WGT didn't build any 3D elements into the game, there's no physics engines used. Other than the avatars, which certainly aren't any 3D wonders, they don't hit resources much, no real rendering required there.

They used Unity as a platform tool only, this game is still 'browser pushed' just as the Flash version is. The heaviest resource is still networking / connectivity. 

Just my .02 if I may...

Steam is nothing but computer friendly.  That's what it does! -- it's sole purpose is to run and manage games on your computer as well as other platforms.

VAC doesn't care if a game is running in windowed mode or not.  If the game is VAC enabled, you can bet your bottom dollar your computer is being scanned.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 9:36 AM

kavvz:

Just my .02 if I may...

Steam is nothing but computer friendly.  That's what it does! -- it's sole purpose is to run and manage games on your computer as well as other platforms.

VAC doesn't care if a game is running in windowed mode or not.  If the game is VAC enabled, you can bet your bottom dollar your computer is being scanned.

That's part of what I'm saying, the game isn't the type of game in which some of the 'haxor' scripts, tools, etc would work against. 

If WGT sets up a VAC server then ya, you'll be scanned for sure, just not going to find anything though as nothing would be running against this game. VAC only scans when an enabled game is running. Connecting to Steam just to browse store or chat doesn't activate it or cause a scan. 

It's not VAC and Windowed mode which is a problem, no does care at all. It's what you can do with an application running in that mode, especially one which is network-live. 

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 10:14 AM

I've been reading some of the REVIEWS on the WGT Steam page and it's quite interesting. There are quite a few existing WGT players who are trying the game through the Steam  "Portal" so you see the positive ones and the typical hardened "Flash" player hatred of change.

But by far, the reviews from NEW WGT players are the most interesting and insightful as they definitely offer a fresh perspective on the game play and the WGT "Free to play" "Pay to Advance" model.

By far the best one I read that had me ROTF was this little gem ...

" After playing this ... I felt like going outside and smashing my clubs into the ground so at least it is somewhat realistic. "  😂

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 10:32 AM

dedBuNNy:

kavvz:

Just my .02 if I may...

That's part of what I'm saying, the game isn't the type of game in which some of the 'haxor' scripts, tools, etc would work against. 

If WGT sets up a VAC server then ya, you'll be scanned for sure, just not going to find anything though as nothing would be running against this game. VAC only scans when an enabled game is running. Connecting to Steam just to browse store or chat doesn't activate it or cause a scan. 

It's not VAC and Windowed mode which is a problem, no does care at all. It's what you can do with an application running in that mode, especially one which is network-live. 

Things don't have to be running against the game though Bunny.  VAC can scan for whatever it's told to scan for -- whether something was injected into the game or the game files were changed or not.

I'm still not sure why you think Windowed mode is an issue, or am I misunderstanding you there.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 11:06 AM

It can but it doesn't....In the early days it was catching debugging tools as cheats and banning people... you can see the issue there. 

VAC doesn't run against your system unless a game is active... That would be an absolute security nightmare, having a networked utility scanning running applications that could themselves be running remotely and connected to other networks? 

No, VAC doesn't do anything until 'called upon' by a game connecting to a VAC enabled server. 

I'm already moderated, I'm not going to post here what can be done with an application connected to a network running in windowed mode.... It wouldn't get posted anyway, but... ya know...I think you get the drift... ;) 

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 11:23 AM

MarchieB:
    I've been reading some of the REVIEWS on the WGT Steam page and it's quite interesting. There are quite a few existing WGT players who are trying the game through the Steam  "Portal" so you see the positive ones and the typical hardened "Flash" player hatred of change.

Taking a quick look at the reviews it seems to me that the ones coming from seasoned players tend to be more on the positive side while "newcomers" are more negative.

I wrote one of those negative reviews though as a "typical hardened Flash player" and believe me, I'm not against change, quite to the contrary. You have to move in the right direction though. Simply porting a mobile game that was designed to be played on a small handheld screen over to PC is not that. I could go into detail about what I don't like about the EA/Steam version, but it's been discussed quite enough, I believe, and it won't change substantially. So I honestly would not recommend this game to anyone which is why I wrote the review. 

I had to play quite a few rounds on this new version in preparation for the Abu Dhabi eTour event (when I practiced quite a bit) and the Denmark event next week (mostly procrastinating picking outfits in my half hour of self imposed daily practice time) , so I think I have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about.

Anyway, didn't want to attack you in any way. I was just bothered a bit by the notion that players who are used to Flash reject this version because they're afraid of change. 

RSS