Forums

Help › Forums

WGT is now available on Steam Early Access!

Tue, May 12 2020 11:50 AM (75 replies)
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 11:39 AM

I know its the same game, but what I found was the meter was very jerky on steam, and the game seems to play different. 

Club distance was off, and putting was different. The formula I use to figure the break was not giving the same results.

So its back to the stand alone version for me.

• GeraldRisch
    27 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 12:47 PM

Just played WGT thru Steam today. Wood--your relatively close to my review. Found the flop shot different. Hard to find/see pointer distance all the time. Meter was fair. In the long run the game gave me a queasy feeling. Rather odd visually for me to enjoy playing.

My 2 cents

Jerry (Charlie Brown)

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 2:07 PM

Been a while since I've chimed in. I haven't tried it on Steam, since I pretty much hate PCEA. Unless changes/improvements are done, I'll be gone. I've already notified my CC of this. I keep a bank of won credits. I'll give those folk a certain amount of time to claim, then offer what's left to the general members. Anything left after that and I sell all my equipment will be offered to the WGT community outside the CC.

I picked up PP (JNPG) way back when it was still in testing. $25. I've checked. It's still good to go. I may or may not look into playing it. I do have a better machine now. 

Upside is the time I'll get back from not watching videos for credits. (Which BTW is running a bit smoother than it was. Not having to restart the app so often.)

• LEDzZzEPP
    501 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 4:20 PM

''The more ignorance and lack of values a society has, the more importance the trivial things that arouse fanaticism acquire, call it religion, sports, social tribes or political groups...''

The phrase is not my own, but I think it adapts quite well to what happens with this game, there are many fanatics who do not want to see or realize what they have done with this game, and it is respectable, but there is no coherence in saying that this game is still the same in this new version, it is simply a copy that was created to be able to introduce it in mobiles, and it was copied to port it to PC, and since I do not consider myself a fanatic of this site, I can say without fear of being wrong that this new version is a pile of $hit..

In fact this new version should be far better than the flash one, taking in count the years who has pased and the new tecnology, by other hand this new version is clearly a downgrade

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 4:31 PM

dedBuNNy:

It can but it doesn't....In the early days it was catching debugging tools as cheats and banning people... you can see the issue there. 

VAC doesn't run against your system unless a game is active... That would be an absolute security nightmare, having a networked utility scanning running applications that could themselves be running remotely and connected to other networks? 

No, VAC doesn't do anything until 'called upon' by a game connecting to a VAC enabled server. 

I'm already moderated, I'm not going to post here what can be done with an application connected to a network running in windowed mode.... It wouldn't get posted anyway, but... ya know...I think you get the drift... ;) 

It most certainly does.  The very basic premise of anti-cheat software is it scans for known cheats.  Like...I'm just not sure how you think it doesn't do that?  That's ALL it does.

RE: banning for false positives.  AC measures are just software and like all software sometimes they make mistakes.  What's certain however, if bans occur when they shouldn't, it's corrected quickly.

I know it doesn't do anything unless you're running a game -- that's the whole point of it.

Windowed mode or not, is the game not running still?  Steam and VAC don't care whether the game is windowed or not, it's still scanning your machine while the game is running.  I'll bet ya a pretty good bottle of whiskey on that one.  :) 

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 4:34 PM
  • kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 4:48 PM

This all is only relevant if WGT integrates VAC into the game of course.  :) 

I'm not sure why they wouldn't...wouldn't make much sense to me to put the game on Steam and then decide not to protect it.

• BogeyOne
    1,965 Posts
    Wed, Apr 15 2020 4:53 PM

JimbeauC:

I picked up PP (JNPG) way back when it was still in testing. $25. I've checked. It's still good to go. I may or may not look into playing it. I do have a better machine now. 

Jim, right off the bat go to the settings in the game and find the resolution settings which make the game work best for you. I have my options there set for very low with the game in a 640x480 window. If your computer can handle full screen on the game then that is a plus, but is not necessary to play the game well.

Next, go to the GAME settings and choose options there. I don't use any of the ball tracker options.  Go to AUDIO settings and enable or disable the music.

Then click on the home tab on the far left of the top margin and choose solo or multiplayer or tournaments. I am playing the public tournaments now. 

Back to the default window.  Look on the right side and down at the bottom for the link to the PGLS ladder site.  Join it should you choose keeping in mind that it isn't necessary to access that site to read the forums and find game tips within those.  Most importantly, it is at the PGLS ladder site where you will find 445 courses that can be downloaded for free. You will find instructions in the PGLS site about how to add them, once downloaded, to the 20 something that come preloaded in the game.

Use the F10 key on your computer to get a list of all the shortcut keys.  For example, F2 will bring up the green and F3 does a wonderful overhead flyby to the impact location area of the fairway.

There is much to discover and I am still figuring things out but getting there. 

There are tons of groups to join (like WGT country clubs). I have started one named "The Old Duffers Retreat."  (don't know where I got that name from. LOL)

My name there is the same as here. "BogeyOne"

I have sent you a friend request for you to use to message me for more info about the game should you need it.

Good luck.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2020 11:58 AM

kavvz:

...  What's certain however, if bans occur when they shouldn't, it's corrected quickly.

Have you ever had to deal with Steam CS related to an account issue?  I forgot the password to my original account, like 7 years ago or something. After 6 months of being asked to provide information or verification's the NSA would probably find hard to come up with, I just game up. 

Steam doesn't reverse bans - I've never seen one in all the time playing clan based games. If you know of one I'd love to hear how they managed it. 

That windowed mode thing is a networking security issue, it's not a Steam / VAC thing... Nothing to do with that...  ;)

• salamicus
    1,016 Posts
    Thu, Apr 16 2020 12:58 PM

I play PCEA in 1024x768.. I think it best represents feel of game that we have in flash version. Widescreen seems too stretched for me from start, like it lost all of aspect ratio.

From this last update I noticed 800x600 res. is out of game ...and 1024 seems looks more ugly than it was. I think they did something wrong with those resolutions from beginning. Some 16:10 would be nice. Its standard in any other game, so why not here

Nik

RSS