Forums

Help › Forums

WGT is coming to Steam Early Access *UPDATE*

Wed, Apr 15 2020 2:39 PM (64 replies)
  • salamicus
    1,016 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 7:40 AM

So, if the Steam version of game is gonna use all steam tools for "anti cheating" and other stuff that exist there....How they going to let flash version run along if nothing of those applies to it?

I think this "early access" is only gonna be registered on Steam, but won't go with actual Steam launcher and account..

Nik

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 8:51 AM

Jay I'm only repeating what I found with google search here, I've absolutely no doubt you know lots more about it.

jayw4862:
    All games using Steam have it. It's a part of the Steam engine. It will scan your pc, not just the game/functions/running programs when you're playing. 

This is VAC if you click on  "What games are VAC enabled?" you get a list of 597 games that's about 2% of the total number on Steam.

I've no idea why games wouldn't want it; it's free with I suppose the soft cost that developers are responsible for submitting cheats they find to VAC. 

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 11:02 AM

DodgyPutter:

DonCaron:
    I saw one of the top players a few years ago say that it would be easier for WGT to catch cheaters if it was on Steam,

DonCaron:
    You are right, they can pick them up

Exactly what do people mean with this?

I had a look and the main thing on steam seems to be  the Valve Anti Cheat system.  While admittedly I didn't really understand it, the numbers involved suggested to me WGT may not have it. Is there something else?

Sorry, I as agreeing with Borntobesting.

I have seen articles on other games talking about cheaters getting banned on Steam Apps.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 11:44 AM

DonCaron:

Sorry, I as agreeing with Borntobesting.

I have seen articles on other games talking about cheaters getting banned on Steam Apps.

No my bad, I knew you were areeing with him.  What I wondered was do you (both) think WGT will use the VAC system? I was doubtful but I'm more confused now Jay has answered. 

• SamSpayed
    4,904 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 12:57 PM

DodgyPutter:
    What I wondered was do you (both) think WGT will use the VAC system?

That's the big question -- will WGT run on a VAC-Secured server?  That's a question only WGT can answer.

Another question is, what exactly would be considered a cheat?  From the link that Jay provided:

Any third-party modifications to a game designed to give one player an advantage over another is classified as a cheat or hack and will trigger a VAC ban. This includes modifications to a game's core executable files and dynamic link libraries.

But what about other things, like on-screen shot calculators, rulers, wind direction aids, etc.?  Again, from the VAC link:

Use caution when installing any game modifications like scripts or custom skins, and only download custom content from trusted sources.

I guess it would all boil down to what WGT considers a cheat and what they don't.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 2:12 PM

SamSpayed:

Use caution when installing any game modifications like scripts or custom skins, and only download custom content from trusted sources.

I guess it would all boil down to what WGT considers a cheat and what they don't

I thought similar when I read this in the FAQ:

Why was I VAC banned?

You have been VAC banned because your account, or an account using the phone number tied to your account, connected to a VAC-secured server while running cheat software.

Valve Anti-Cheat regularly checks the game files of all users connected to Valve's servers to ensure third party software is not being used which gives players an advantage. If software of this kind is detected a VAC ban will be issued.

Does a ruler, a wind thing,etc give a player an advantage?

I guess we'll find out all sorts in nine days or wgt will tell us before.  Nine days isn't too long :-))

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 2:22 PM

DodgyPutter:
    I'm more confused now Jay has answered. 

I'm always confused.

Just spreading the chaos that's in my brain :-)

Share the love..pay it forward..and all that other good stuff.

• Young46
    1,292 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 7:00 PM

SamSpayed:

DodgyPutter:
    What I wondered was do you (both) think WGT will use the VAC system?

That's the big question -- will WGT run on a VAC-Secured server?  That's a question only WGT can answer.

Another question is, what exactly would be considered a cheat?  From the link that Jay provided:

Any third-party modifications to a game designed to give one player an advantage over another is classified as a cheat or hack and will trigger a VAC ban. This includes modifications to a game's core executable files and dynamic link libraries.

But what about other things, like on-screen shot calculators, rulers, wind direction aids, etc.?  Again, from the VAC link:

I guess it would all boil down to what WGT considers a cheat and what they don't.

It would be any software that directly modifies the code of the game (i.e. cheat engine). While rulers and compasses are controversial, they don't modify any executable files within the game, they are just simply overlays.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 10:13 PM

Young46:
    It would be any software that directly modifies the code of the game (i.e. cheat engine). While rulers and compasses are controversial, they don't modify any executable files within the game, they are just simply overlays.

Question is, if Kats Calculator would be a issue. I use it in high winds of STA and RSG

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 2:33 AM

Young46:

They've done an anti-cheat video on this page that is quite interesting, if long.

I'm really not meaning to panic anyone with my uninformed reading on this but they do mention "overlays" (about 4min 30sec in) although theirs seem more complex.

Anyway: NOTE: VAC only attempts to detect cheats reported by the developer. Valve does not actively seek out cheats either automatically or through manual digging.

I'm not sure whether "cheats" refers to people or "cheats" they are using, I'd go for the latter as apparently they issued 95,000 bans in one week.  Either way it sounds like it would still be up to WGT what is and isn't cheating.

RSS