Forums

Help › Forums

WGT is coming to Steam Early Access *UPDATE*

Wed, Apr 15 2020 2:39 PM (64 replies)
  • SamSpayed
    4,904 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2020 11:32 AM

Dave33200:

I’ve never used steam before, (and really don’t want to), but I just downloaded it to my computer and tried to register as a new account. It would not let me register as it said I had to disable my VPN to complete the registry.

I’m very reluctant to disable my VPN just to play a online game.

Dave, you might have to disable your VPN to complete the registration process, then turn it back on afterward.  If that doesn't work, then maybe your VPN has Split Tunnel capability and you can just exclude the Steam programs from using your VPN.  

Here's an article which describes Split Tunnel for the VPN I use.  Hope this helps.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/kb/articles/split-tunnel-app-examples

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2020 8:07 PM

pdb1:

I am thinking that this is going to be easier to play with the bugs . As it is the non flash version ( the early access version ) that will be available on STEAM . Right ?

Yes

• k5ntonsm1th
    34 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2020 3:17 AM

Just a few questions regarding this Steam thing.

Is the early access download going to stop working when WGT is launched on Steam ?

Will every WGT player (non Moblile) eventually have to join Steam to play WGT ?

Or is the early access program we installed going to carry on running WGT  long term ?

Thanks.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2020 4:26 AM

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2020 6:17 AM

Don’t hold your breath waiting to get answers from WGT ... 🤣

Here’s a current pic of the WGT’s PR Dept ! 😖

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 2:49 AM

borntobesting:

MarchieB:

Just a curious question, why is everyone so Happy about this? I don’t get it. Is there something I’m missing? What’s so good about Steam?

Are you guys thinking this is the Flash game?  It is NOT !! the Flash version it is the same Early Access (PCEA) version that’s already available. 

I mean I kinda see WGT’s reason for this as Steam is a source for potential New players (13 Million Steam users) but I don’t understand why current WGT players would really care ... please help me understand. 😖 

I saw one of the top players a few years ago say that it would be easier for WGT to catch cheaters if it was on Steam,

You are right, they can pick them up

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 5:23 AM

DonCaron:
    I saw one of the top players a few years ago say that it would be easier for WGT to catch cheaters if it was on Steam,

DonCaron:
    You are right, they can pick them up

Exactly what do people mean with this?

I had a look and the main thing on steam seems to be  the Valve Anti Cheat system.  While admittedly I didn't really understand it, the numbers involved suggested to me WGT may not have it. Is there something else?

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 6:43 AM

Let me get this right, now your saying people can cheat on the new version?

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 7:12 AM

DodgyPutter:
    I had a look and the main thing on steam seems to be  the Valve Anti Cheat system.  While admittedly I didn't really understand it, the numbers involved suggested to me WGT may not have it. Is there something else?

All games using Steam have it. It's a part of the Steam engine. It will scan your pc, not just the game/functions/running programs when you're playing. 

Also, once Steam bans you...there's no recourse. No emailing. That account/IP/Steam ID, global ID, mac address, and almost every way possible to start over is permanently gone. 

I imagine someone could use a different IP (Steam doesn't like VPN's) and pc and might could start over, but once Steam (VAC) bans, it's final.

I saw so many players complaining about being banned in the other 2 golf sim forums. Some saying they were mid-game when it happened. Steam wouldn't ban them if they were playing fair, or didn't any cheat software installed (using it or not) on their computers. 

Both game mods told them there was nothing they could do. It was out of their hands. Pretty hardcore, but it keeps the integrity of games on the up and up.

Now, I'm sure there may be some geeks out there that can pull things off, but they'd need to be of the elite of the elite.

If WGT is going away from Unity and going to use Steam, that's a good thing. As for whether they continue the "game client" pc version is another story. There is a new player in the flash arena. Supposedly doing what it can to keep old flash games going. Here's the article about Flashpoint

HERE

I would think they'll at least keep the WGT.com open, so players can have access to forums, CC's, etc. 

RSS