Forums

Help › Forums

Clash numbers (Question)

Thu, Mar 29 2018 10:02 AM (89 replies)
  • RyjaTybas
    5,141 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2018 1:24 PM

Was not and am still not a fan of the Clashes - but its good to get free course builder for top 500 (considering how over-priced they are) - and to sometimes beat an opponent - and the new scoring system adds more interest. But perhaps some distortions too.

My overall impression is that it helps the big-hitters (who can rack-up some big totals) - and works against the weaker players (who can now lose a CC points by hacking in the brush).

But the big G comes out on top. Does G stand for Gulag - LOL. 

I'm honestly neutral, having read both perspectives - but there should be more prizes for CC's who don't make the top 100.

• AlaskanDame
    18,976 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2018 2:41 PM
    CEverett12:

DonCaron:
    Someone else can have the pile of rocks as tee markers. I'm sitting this one out

I hear ya Don ,  I wont be sending out 50 passes .  Ill play a couple of rounds with my free passes.  What's the point ?  We all know who's going to win .

Just goes to show how tastes can differ. I think the rock cairns are MUCH better than the speakers that are so dark you can barely make out what they are and why would they be on a golf course anyway . . . . and the kegs that looks like a garbage can, lol! At least cairns are meant to point you on your way to a destination. Very appropriate.
  • adaputter
    1,954 Posts
    Tue, Mar 27 2018 5:13 PM

Nancy1959:

el3n1:
    If the goal is simply working together as a team and winning the clash, the golden putter is really insignificant...so why not remove it from the picture....ask WGT to keep it or offer a more sensible prize that can help more of your members.  Seems to me that doing so would possibly go a long way towards resolving or avoiding any conflict that arises around the issue.  

The "golden putter" is a good putter, to be sure, but it's not some kind of "magic putter" as its stats might suggest to outsiders.  But it's not as much about the value of the putter in one's bag, and much more about the honor of being awarded one.

You see, when our owner selects a member to be awarded one, she takes a bunch of things into consideration regarding their contributions to our CC in a number of areas. It has become a badge of honor that gives one entrance to our mythical "Captains Lounge" in our make-believe clubhouse.  

With that has come (and it always seem to be the same couple of people) that occasionally create a stir when they don't agree with who our owner has selected. In my opinion, it is quite immature and I have little tolerance for it anymore.  Just be a good member and do it for a long period of time and it will come to you....I wish they would just do that instead.  Our owner puts up with it (I think she actually likes some drama) and as a result, we have lost some really good members who grew tired of it.

Regardless, that is just the way that I perceive it.  If you surveyed other members of our CC, they might have a totally different read on it.

But I think we are all in agreement that there should be much better prizes for top five finishers and this would bring healthy and fun competition into the Clashes (and would be good for WGT as a result too!).  I mean, why don't they have a "golden driver" or "golden irons"?  It wouldn't cost them anything to give one of those away every two weeks, too!

let me ask you 1 question

if there was no golden putter or any prize would you still play clashes?

• MattK1917
    48 Posts
    Wed, Mar 28 2018 11:52 AM

adaputter:

Nancy1959:

el3n1:
    If the goal is simply working together as a team and winning the clash, the golden putter is really insignificant...so why not remove it from the picture....ask WGT to keep it or offer a more sensible prize that can help more of your members.  Seems to me that doing so would possibly go a long way towards resolving or avoiding any conflict that arises around the issue.  

The "golden putter" is a good putter, to be sure, but it's not some kind of "magic putter" as its stats might suggest to outsiders.  But it's not as much about the value of the putter in one's bag, and much more about the honor of being awarded one.

You see, when our owner selects a member to be awarded one, she takes a bunch of things into consideration regarding their contributions to our CC in a number of areas. It has become a badge of honor that gives one entrance to our mythical "Captains Lounge" in our make-believe clubhouse.  

With that has come (and it always seem to be the same couple of people) that occasionally create a stir when they don't agree with who our owner has selected. In my opinion, it is quite immature and I have little tolerance for it anymore.  Just be a good member and do it for a long period of time and it will come to you....I wish they would just do that instead.  Our owner puts up with it (I think she actually likes some drama) and as a result, we have lost some really good members who grew tired of it.

Regardless, that is just the way that I perceive it.  If you surveyed other members of our CC, they might have a totally different read on it.

But I think we are all in agreement that there should be much better prizes for top five finishers and this would bring healthy and fun competition into the Clashes (and would be good for WGT as a result too!).  I mean, why don't they have a "golden driver" or "golden irons"?  It wouldn't cost them anything to give one of those away every two weeks, too!

let me ask you 1 question

if there was no golden putter or any prize would you still play clashes?

Of course they wouldn’t.  No incentive.  The Georgians take advantage and I don’t blame them.  Clashes aren’t worth 3 Nike balls to one member.  If WGT gave the 2nd best team even 3 balls to every member who participated then you get more people participating.  VMFG (formerly Silver Dollar) may re consider.  But for now our club says what’s the point, let’s just get the passes.

• adaputter
    1,954 Posts
    Wed, Mar 28 2018 2:45 PM

Of course they wouldn’t.  No incentive.  The Georgians take advantage and I don’t blame them.  Clashes aren’t worth 3 Nike balls to one member.  If WGT gave the 2nd best team even 3 balls to every member who participated then you get more people participating.  VMFG (formerly Silver Dollar) may re consider.  But for now our club says what’s the point, let’s just get the passes.

it cost more to play for the passes than they are to bulk buy?

• MattK1917
    48 Posts
    Wed, Mar 28 2018 5:33 PM

adaputter:

it cost more to play for the passes than they are to bulk buy?

We just try to get top 100 for the passes.  No one goes out of there way to buy passes for the clash.  Our owners just need members playing one round.

• LuckySkreet
    611 Posts
    Wed, Mar 28 2018 10:44 PM

Nancy1959:

el3n1:

So, in other words, the Membership at large, has ZERO say in the selection process.  LMFAO....   

This is more akin to the "Elites and Nobles" sipping cocktails from the cushy seats of the "Mythical Captains Lounge" while the serfs, slaves, peasants and commoners  grind it out on the battlefield where their hard work can be rewarded to the hierarchy; where the "Elite" can weaponize, politicize and reward  the treasures in a self serving and controlling manner.........

The comment: "Just be a good member and do it for a long period of time and it will come to you...".....   again, LMFAO.     Akin to the "Kingpins" soap boxing to the street level dealers in an effort to keep production high and ranks in "check".  

Sure would be interesting to see some "self checking"  resulting in fair distribution.  Such as, prior to another "clash", a possible recipient selected in advance by random draw.  I'm curious to see exactly how many "members" would work just as hard and if an equivalent number of passes are purchased, gifted and utilized should the mass know exactly who they were  rewarding and playing for..................      I dunno.... but I'd wager the "worker bees" would love it......  and the "Elites".....  not so much.     I'd also wager that should  member "JOHN-Q-NOBODY" win the random draw, the "Elite" would ignore the draw and exercise "Noble Authority" to  reward otherwise.......     After all, what would they care.... peasants, slaves, serfs and commoners can easily be replaced tomorrow........  

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Thu, Mar 29 2018 1:18 AM

I assume that they'd rather see themselves as Vikings, serving as free men.

LuckySkreet:
    fair distribution
    That's a myth in itself.

Imagine how long it takes to serve 250+ members (fluctuation!) by distributing one Calf, bi-weekly.

• LuckySkreet
    611 Posts
    Thu, Mar 29 2018 2:35 AM

alosso:

I assume that they'd rather see themselves as Vikings, serving as free men.

LuckySkreet:
    fair distribution
    That's a myth in itself.

Imagine how long it takes to serve 250+ members (fluctuation!) by distributing one Calf, bi-weekly.

LOL Alosso.......         Point taken...... however, if the object is to "serve" only a handful of "Vikings" while churning and burning the mass of peasants; we can throw that 250+ number in the trash.........

• etienne5361
    1,061 Posts
    Thu, Mar 29 2018 10:02 AM

Hey don't play a clash in the "wonderfull" G, you get the BOOT !!

RSS