Forums

Help › Forums

Chipping on green

Sat, Jan 27 2018 6:00 PM (117 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 9:37 AM

mkrizan86:
    I would only add 1 thing to Robert's screening process. One needs to take into account the number of red tee rounds, where putting stats and distance from the pin tend to get a huge boost.

Of course, you're correct. But I decided not to open up that particular can of worms.:-) 

All of this is basic probability theory action. I guarantee, with that large of a sample size, that the number of putts/hole for each round, when organized, will form a normal distribution. Additionally, the range of possible values is actually quite narrow, limiting the possible effect of outliers.

What all of that means is that if one has enough current data, even with externalities considered, the mean is a meaningful and accurate number, representing what the player is actually doing.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 9:50 AM

Tigerpaw509:
    Not sure what my stat's have to do with others "Chipping" on the green.

Meant no offense; just thought it was a bit ironic.

It would be like me telling alosso, "My God, man! You post a lot on here." While true, it'd be ironic, nonetheless. The veracity of the statement wouldn't diminish the irony of the statement. :-) 

Cheers! 

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 9:58 AM

Just remembered something was being said about 2012 garbage gear. Putters were already great back then, I'm still using the one I bought in 2012 ;-)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 10:39 AM

mkrizan86:
    Actually, that means I'm not a gamer. Never had or used any calculators, rulers or spreadsheets. Only notes I took were mental ones. Even the shot and putter pals are seldom used. I decide on every shot and putt based on my gut, feel and memory only. I also don't take more than 20 secs on practically any shot or putt, no time to do the math ;-) Usually this approach works well, but not every time ;-)

Exactly! I knew that a long time ago. You're a golfer playing a computer game just like me. The difference is, we think about it in terms of the real thing, "feeling" our way around and that's what makes it fun for me. Every shot is a new puzzle.  :-)

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 6:44 PM

I've never taken a dump on the green...oh...wait...

You said chip...

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 8:33 PM

Just think, it's okay in the rules and many courses won't allow it because of this reason:

To chip a ball on the green w/o marking up the green takes skill, as does chipping the ball into the hole. Most players don't have the skill

If you have the skill to chip it in, and you have the skill to leave no mark - it's fine.

In fact, it's exceptional. 

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Fri, Jan 26 2018 1:12 AM

Nobody ever left a divot on a WGT green...

• duffputt
    314 Posts
    Fri, Jan 26 2018 2:43 AM

Its unwise not to use pitch and full shots on green if the situation clearly calls for it.

Think of Chambers hole 18. You end up on the top tier. Good luck.

But using full shot type its easy. 73 feet is 73% full shot with 60Y wedge. 81 feet is 81% and so on. Easy rule.

Also if your putt is extremely bendy at the start but flat near hole, its much easier flying over the bendy start.

No reason to compare with real life where you protect the grass and also dont have the skill to take it clean on short grass.

I use it around 2% of all shots on green

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Fri, Jan 26 2018 6:35 AM

@duffputt

So, what I hear you saying is that if it's done rarely, you can see it. 

How about that. Nine pages later and we're back to where we started. :-) 

• duffputt
    314 Posts
    Fri, Jan 26 2018 10:37 AM

I just dont see the problem :-)

RSS