Forums

Help › Forums

Chipping on green

Sat, Jan 27 2018 6:00 PM (117 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 24 2018 9:40 AM

JFidanza:
    In fact, besides Atari golf which I played in the early '80s, I don't know any other golf game that omitted the ability to DRAW AND FADE AND IRON APPROACH.

What other golf game let's you play, without downloading anything,  from any computer, anywhere? Hint: there isn't one. 

And you can draw and fade here. You have to on some of the tees from the tips. Hard to say if you need to when you're in the driver/wedge stage of the game as a TM, IDK. You do have all the best equipment, though, maybe try playing the longer tees? One would think you could figure that out after 100 levels of golf.  :-)

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Wed, Jan 24 2018 11:01 AM

Robert1893:

Luckystar5:
    My point exactly, he said what?  Had to hit shots like that, so used to those shots, so in playing he was practicing , I don't hit the fairway much.  Thanks for proving my point.  I'm done, good luck to you!  

I will say this: that creative reading class you took is really paying big dividends. ;-) 

Lmaoo!!!

Not sure why people are questioning cutting corners off drives, taking alternate fairways, driving over trees as it happens all the time irl.

If we are being pedantic, the guy was not chipping on the green but most likely using the full shot, also referred to as n***ing.

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Wed, Jan 24 2018 11:53 AM

Robert1893:

YankeeJim:
    Coming in from the upper fairway, a shot played properly will feed to the hole and makes eagle a very likely possibility, birdie almost automatic. The top players know that.

This!

After I played it from the adjacent fairway once (a long time ago), I pretty much came to the same conclusion. Taking the traditional route, I have slightly mishit approach shots that have ended up close to the hole. 

I just didn't see the advantage of the alternate way of playing the hole. In fact, last night I tried it again, just to see if I missing something. I still don't see any real advantage to hitting to the 16th fairway. 

Funny how differently people play the game. I only discovered there's a left FW a year ago and been using it ever since. Before that, when playing to the right, I landed in the 40/50 rough right of the FW often (that strap is very narrow) and was very far away in head wind. Made par plenty of times. But since I started playing left, the hole became a gimme bird (with the occasional eff up). To each his own, but for me, playing it left is much easier.

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Wed, Jan 24 2018 12:42 PM

Players doing it cant get it close on approach shots and cant putt.I have no tolerance for this and I concede the game and go find another.

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Wed, Jan 24 2018 2:12 PM

Tigerpaw509:

Players doing it cant get it close on approach shots and cant putt.I have no tolerance for this and I concede the game and go find another.

I'm sorry, but looking at your stats I can't help but chuckle at that statement...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 24 2018 4:11 PM

mkrizan86:

Tigerpaw509:

I'm sorry, but looking at your stats I can't help but chuckle at that statement...

What do his stats have anything to do with? He answered the OP direct, just didn't quote him and it's his POV.

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 3:30 AM

YankeeJim:
    What do his stats have anything to do with? He answered the OP direct, just didn't quote him and it's his POV.

Point taken. But the fact he's talking about people not being able to putt and get the ball close to the hole, still made me chuckle. So I shared my POV. Plus I haven't made a snide remark at anyone in a while and the urge became way too intense.

As for using a wedge on the green (in this game), I tried it once, had no idea how to do it and was miles off target. Never tried again. But I'll never get why people get upset when others do it, cause it doesn't affect their game. Just let everyone play the way they like.

As for the reality of it all, I expect people not to moan, when I'm less than 15y from the pin in a bunker and I use the flop, and in return I won't biatch if they putt with their driver.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 5:06 AM

mkrizan86:
    But the fact he's talking about people not being able to putt and get the ball close to the hole, still made me chuckle.

I tend to agree that, given the person's putting stats, his comment about others who can't putt is a bit on the ironic side. :-) 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 5:43 AM

Robert1893:

mkrizan86:
    But the fact he's talking about people not being able to putt and get the ball close to the hole, still made me chuckle.

I tend to agree that, given the person's putting stats, his comment about others who can't putt is a bit on the ironic side. :-) 

Sheesh, it isn't about his stats. He made a comment about players that couldn't get close on the approach and then using wedges on the greens because they can't putt (or won't learn.) That's a pretty accurate assessment, IMO.

We all know how worthless stats are, why even bring them into the conversation?

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 5:59 AM

When he makes comments about others' abilities to get it close or putt, it brings his abilities into the equation. Something about glass houses and rocks. :-) 

RSS