Help › Forums

Chipping on green

Sat, Jan 27 2018 6:00 PM (117 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Fri, Jan 26 2018 11:26 AM

duffputt:

I just dont see the problem :-)

I don't know that I ever suggested it was a problem, when done rarely; for example, if someone did it only 2% of the time. :-) 

The only thing I ever said is that if a person is doing it consistently (i.e. pretty much all the time) and in situations that don't call for it (for example, on short putts), then it is a bit of a gamer move and not really in the spirit of the game. Obviously, others disagree. And that's fine. It was just my take on it.

But to be clear, which I thought I had been, I've always maintained that in certain situations the shot makes sense. I never suggested otherwise. In fact, I mentioned the 17th hole of St. Andrews as an example as well as posting an example of when I did it on Royal St. George's. 

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Fri, Jan 26 2018 12:28 PM

Which leaves two Qs to me:

- Is it above 2%, 10%, 50% use that the spirit of the game is harmed?

- What is considered the spirit of the game, and what TF has it to do with shot selection?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 26 2018 12:34 PM

alosso:
    What is considered the spirit of the game

If you have to ask this, you'll never get it.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Fri, Jan 26 2018 12:44 PM

alosso:

Which leaves two Qs to me:

- Is it above 2%, 10%, 50% use that the spirit of the game is harmed?

- What is considered the spirit of the game, and what TF has it to do with shot selection?

If those are the questions my posts have raised for you, then you missed my point, or (at least) the spirit of my point. :-)

Irregardless*, at this point, the conversation should probably just die... until the topic is resurrected and the arguments repeated again in a few months. ;-) 

*I just throw that one in to tweak the spelling and grammar police on the board. And you know who you are! Think of it as a bonus. :-) 

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Fri, Jan 26 2018 12:48 PM

Robert1893:
    *I just throw that one in to tweak the spelling and grammar police on the board. And you know who you are! Think of it as a bonus. :-) 

threw? ;-))))))))))))

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Fri, Jan 26 2018 12:58 PM

I think t was actually thinking "I'll just throw that one out there to tweak" and changed my mind after I started typing the sentence.

But unless I get the screen right up in front me, I can miss whole words (due a vein occlusion in my one eye a few years ago). As a result of that, I have significant floaters as well as a good bit of distortion to deal with.

That's why I end up editing a lot of my posts. For whatever reason, I can see it better after I've posted. Probably psychological more than anything else. Regardless, I tend to simply assume that I actually typed what I was thinking. Doesn't always work out that way and (as was probably the case here), I changed my mind as I typed. :-) 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 26 2018 2:04 PM

Throw works, Robert, you just said it as you did it, much like a challenge. LOL

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Fri, Jan 26 2018 2:25 PM

It ain't how...just how many.

The point of the game is to get the ball in the hole in as few shots as possible.  The spirit of the game is for those who can't accomplish that.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Fri, Jan 26 2018 3:38 PM

Jerm65:
    The spirit of the game is for those who can't accomplish that.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Fri, Jan 26 2018 3:39 PM

@Jim

👍

RSS