Forums

Help › Forums

Chipping on green

Sat, Jan 27 2018 6:00 PM (117 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 6:20 AM

Robert1893:

When he makes comments about others' abilities to get it close or putt, it brings his abilities into the equation. Something about glass houses and rocks. :-) 

So what particular stat of his do you use to determine how qualified he is to make his general statement? 

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 6:45 AM

YankeeJim:
    So what particular stat of his do you use to determine how qualified he is to make his general statement? 

To be fair, I didn't say he wasn't qualified to make a judgment on others' putting. I simply noted the irony of him determining that others can't putt. If I said he wasn't qualified to make the statement, I retract that statement. I'm not sure what "qualifies" a person to make or not make such a statement. Regardless, and more to the point. it's not just one stat that needs to be considered when looking at a person's putting stats (IMO). 

First, one needs to attempt to see how the person plays the game. If there are very few ranked rounds but an extremely large number of alt shot matches, putting stats should probably be disregarded all together. They could easily be outdated and skewed.

Second, I look at number of ranked rounds as well as current score history. This player has a large number of ranked rounds, which provides a very healthy sample size. Moreover, his recent score history suggests that he currently plays a lot of ranked rounds, which means that his stats are probably fairly accurate, reflecting current skill level.

Third, after looking at those numbers, I look at putts per hole as well as percent one-putts and percent three-putts. Obviously, I ignore the remainder of the putting stats because those are worthless. Taken as a whole, in my opinion, the above approach provides a fairly good picture of a person's putting. 

I hope that answers your question! :-) 

Be well. 

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 7:25 AM

As I said, Jim, I understand where's you're coming from. But I still found his comment funny, given his putting ability. Nobody's saying he doesn't have the right to comment, but I have the right to chuckle, when I read it. Perhaps I should've done it quietly, but I chose not to. 

But I really don't understand why he'd quit a round with someone, who's using a wedge. How does it affect his game? Of course, he has every right to, I just don't understand it.

I also find it funny, when players are calling others gamers. Considering we can all stop a ball dead with a 3i in a tail wind, every move we make is a gamer move ;-) And using a wedge is as "wrong" as aiming putts by pushing and pulling, which is how us off-dingers play. Not sure I would normally call myself a true gamer, cause this is the only game I've ever really played, but I always try to get the ball in the hole as fast as possible within the rules. I think that's common to the real game as well.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 7:31 AM

Robert1893:
    I hope that answers your question!

Yes, it did. You used 52,000+ putts over a 6 year period to make your assessment of his ability and subsequent judgement of his opinion. A period that started 3 years before you did and includes many putts with garbage equipment.

Arguments using stats fails for me-they're just too skewed with long time players. I'll even point to myself as a good example.  :-)

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 7:53 AM

Not sure what my stat's have to do with others "Chipping" on the green. My post was simple that if they want to "chip" on the green fine but I will not be playing.Sure doing once is ok but on every green is ridicules.  

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 8:12 AM

YankeeJim:

Robert1893:
    I hope that answers your question!

Yes, it did. You used 52,000+ putts over a 6 year period to make your assessment of his ability and subsequent judgement of his opinion. A period that started 3 years before you did and includes many putts with garbage equipment.

Arguments using stats fails for me-they're just too skewed with long time players. I'll even point to myself as a good example.  :-)

Actually, Robert's way of assesing is spot on. He would've assessed your ability differently, cause you have many more alt shot and MP rounds, so there's no comparison. 

I would only add 1 thing to Robert's screening process. One needs to take into account the number of red tee rounds, where putting stats and distance from the pin tend to get a huge boost. There are a number of them in the score history and they are the only ones below 30, so it's fairly safe to assume, there were many more in the past, to reach current tier and avg. Cause I can't see it being done from the tips, meaning actual stats from the tips would've been far worse.

Again, not a reason why people shouldn't comment, but still made me laugh.

• dobie2089
    95 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 8:22 AM

The only  surprise in this post is  Robert1893  finds  time to look at peoples  stats inbetween  flooding  the forum :P 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 9:09 AM

mkrizan86:
    I also find it funny, when players are calling others gamers. Considering we can all stop a ball dead with a 3i in a tail wind, every move we make is a gamer move

A golfer looks at a shot and decides the best way to play it-run up with top spin, use bs and try to stick it, hit a flat choked shot, etc. and then plays. A gamer looks at the numbers, consults the spreadsheet, whips out the calculator or slide rule, does the math and plays.

But then you know that.  ;-)

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 9:28 AM

dobie2089:
    The only  surprise in this post is  Robert1893  finds  time to look at peoples  stats inbetween  flooding  the forum :P 

I know! I was shocked at that as well! 

Damn, good thing I have tenure. Otherwise, I'd be in a heap of trouble. ;-) 

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2018 9:32 AM

YankeeJim:

A gamer looks at the numbers, consults the spreadsheet, whips out the calculator or slide rule, does the math and plays.

But then you know that.  ;-)

Actually, that means I'm not a gamer. Never had or used any calculators, rulers or spreadsheets. Only notes I took were mental ones. Even the shot and putter pals are seldom used. I decide on every shot and putt based on my gut, feel and memory only. I also don't take more than 20 secs on practically any shot or putt, no time to do the math ;-) Usually this approach works well, but not every time ;-)

RSS