@Jim

👍

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Sat, Jan 27 2018 12:57 AM

YankeeJim:
    alosso:
    What is considered the spirit of the game

If you have to ask this, you'll never get it.

OIC: You're bullying me because you're too weak for reasonable arguments. Best parish councilman tradition, isn't it?

From that I take that your understanding of the spirit is to do what all others do, to follow the lead of the elders' doctrines blindly. Apparently, you fail to know what the ruling body R&A deems the Spirit of the Game - consideration: absent in your conduct, courtesy: absent!

(I'd be glad to be contradicted with reason)

To me, in addition to the official POV, a few words stand for the spirit of golf:

Safety, respect and freedom!

Safety needs no explanation.The threat of hard objects flying with 100+ mph is obvious.

Respect includes the people, nature (the course etc.) and the rules.

My kind of freedom is to execute whatever I can imagine while keeping up the other two items. Putter from bunkers, driver from the deck, etc.  One Q is, "Which kind of shot will be best for me?"

If this, on WGT greens, would be to abandon the putter, I'd do so, because none of my golf values, including the official ones, prohibits it. It's nothing but my freedom of choice to act differently.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 27 2018 7:04 AM

alosso:
    OIC: You're bullying me because you're too weak for reasonable arguments.

Bullying??!! WTF are you talking (or trying to talk) about? Do you even understand that term? FYI...

bul·ly ˈbo͝olē 
    verb
    gerund or present participle bullying
    1. use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants.
    How does that even apply here and if you already knew what the spirit of the game means, why did you ask? And what's to argue about with regard to the spirit of the game?
    From your link........
    "Golf is played, for the most part, without the supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the game of golf."

But then you already knew that.
  • alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Sat, Jan 27 2018 7:44 AM

I read what I showed as a link.

But what has chipping on WGT greens to do with that?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 27 2018 9:16 AM

alosso:
    But what has chipping on WGT greens to do with that?

Do you honestly believe chipping on greens in this game in lieu of putting just to score  demonstrates true sportsmanship and respect for the game? I don't.

From the link...........

"All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be"

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sat, Jan 27 2018 9:47 AM

This game is not sanctioned by USGA rules, it falls under WGT rules.  It has the strictest referees and umpires, in the fact that if you attempt something to violate the rules, it penalizes you, or won't let you do it.  For example, some holes allow you to use different fairways to play a hole, others do not.  Those that dont, your penalized with an ob, and a lost ball, with added strokes.  If it's within the rules, play continues, without a penalty.  How is it ok, to chip in certain instances, but not others, and the game allows you to do this, so it's not against any ruling.  As far as sportsmanship, where is the line drawn, someone who chips on a green more than another?  Maybe unsportsmanlike like behavior falls with those that complain about what someone else does, or leaves the game, because they have no tolerance for something that's unorthodox , but still within the rulings. What makes one any better, or worse than the other.  Gentlemanly behavior, yes a good one, let's put a label on someone because you don't like what someone does!  Yes that's ok, and falls within the spirit of Gentlemanly behavior?  Or the spirit of the game? 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 27 2018 10:33 AM

Luckystar5:
    This game is not sanctioned by USGA rules, it falls under WGT rules.

Example, please. I didn't bother to read the rest of the post given the annoying italics, lack of paragraphs and the resulting headache trying to wade through it so space your answer(s) out in readable fashion, please. I am genuinely curious as to what you see as a WGT rule vs USGA's.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sat, Jan 27 2018 10:56 AM

Is this better?  Wgts  game, their rules, no examples needed. You didn't read the rest of what I wrote, because you didn't want to, not that you couldnt.  Evidently it's not something that you wish to address, so you shift to grammar or something else.  One has to love it, espically if it puts holes in someone's argument.if you had bothered to read it, I quoted some of the things that wgt allows. It may or may not be against USGA rules, but that matters not, like I said, their game and so they can set the rules, don't like them, don't play, simple. 

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Sat, Jan 27 2018 11:13 AM

YankeeJim:
    Do you honestly believe chipping on greens in this game in lieu of putting just to score  demonstrates true sportsmanship and respect for the game? I don't.
    I do believe that you avoid a direct answer to my position.

It doesn't diminuish those values to use all options to succeed to exercise Rule 1.1, and your counter questions explain nothing.

I'm still waiting for a percentage of chipping which would be against "the spirit"!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 27 2018 11:46 AM

alosso:
    ]I do believe that you avoid a direct answer to my position.

What in the world does this mean?

alosso:
    I'm still waiting for a percentage of chipping which would be against "the spirit"!

So,  you want to reduce whatever argument you're trying to make to numbers? I'll pass on that silliness.

@Lucky-Much better, now work on  paragraphs. ;-)

RSS