Forums

Help › Forums

Chipping on green

Sat, Jan 27 2018 6:00 PM (117 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,674 Posts
    Tue, Jan 23 2018 7:31 PM

But here's the thing: if it can only be done in the game, I have no problem with calling it a gamer move. In a previous post, I already indicated I had no problem with calling something a gamer move if it can only be done in WGT land. :-) 

Nevertheless, I don't see how it could be characterized as not within the "spirit of the game." I'm using the club in a conventional manner and in the way it's intended. 

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Tue, Jan 23 2018 7:56 PM

I always go down 16 on Chambers no.2. I find it an easier approach.

I saw Tiger chip on the green in the "Hero" tourney. In fact you will find it happens on the PGA TOUR regularly. Its within both the spirit and the rules of golf.

This game has a few things that are like golf. There are balls and tee's and clubs. That's about where the golf ends and the Game begins.

It is what it is. A great way to pass some time and have some fun with friends. :-)

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Tue, Jan 23 2018 8:07 PM

Pingkin:

I wonder if anyone has ever used thier club like a snooker cue and tried to pot the ball..lol

Yes, in the 1895 us amateur championship. Actually used a billiard stick.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Tue, Jan 23 2018 8:24 PM
    Did it myself playing on my high school golf team in the early '60s. Damn near got kicked off the team for it. And yes, I missed the "putt."
  • Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Tue, Jan 23 2018 8:35 PM

Slamming Sammy used to putt croquet style, til Bobby Jones complained, then Sammy went to the side saddle style.  He even modified a putter to suit his game, with those putting styles. 

• Robert1893
    7,674 Posts
    Tue, Jan 23 2018 8:44 PM

Lutjanid:
    I saw Tiger chip on the green in the "Hero" tourney. In fact you will find it happens on the PGA TOUR regularly. Its within both the spirit and the rules of golf.

Everyone acknowledges that PGA tour players have used the chip shot on the green. Anyone who follows golf knows that or has seen that. 

Everyone acknowledges that it's within the rules of the game. That's also not in dispute. 

But neither of those were the basic issue being discussed nor were they disputed by anyone. At least, I can't recall anyone disputing those points.  

The point being made is that chipping on the green consistently rather than putting is not done by any PGA tour pro and that to consistently use the chip shot is a gamer move. I still fail to see how consistently using a chip shot on shorter putts so as to simply take the break out is within the spirit of the game. 

Or to put it another way, when was the last time you saw a PGA tour pro use a chip shot for a short putt simply to take the break out of play? Any number of players probably wish they had (for example, Doug Sanders or Scott Hoch). 

I've seen where Justin Thomas did it to avoid a spike mark and Phil used a wedge due to being in an extremely difficult position the green. But just to take the break out of play on short putts? I don't ever recall that.

And, as an aside, when the pros do chip or use a wedge on the green, there's usually a news story about it. That it''s noteworthy should indicate something. 

• climatic
    183 Posts
    Wed, Jan 24 2018 2:51 AM

Lutjanid:

I always go down 16 on Chambers no.2. I find it an easier approach.

This game has a few things that are like golf. There are balls and tee's and clubs. That's about where the golf ends and the Game begins.

It is what it is. A great way to pass some time and have some fun with friends. :-)

+1

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Wed, Jan 24 2018 8:07 AM

Please stop the we/us/gamer/golfer crap talk.

9/10 years of playing an online virtual golf game makes you a gamer whether you like the title or not.

Anybody disagreeing will be shot at dawn. End of.

@ Triple G (The Grumpy Greenock Guy);

Good to 'see' you are still breathing. 👍

• Robert1893
    7,674 Posts
    Wed, Jan 24 2018 8:40 AM

BHenke2:

I will say this. If everyone who plays this game and also plays real golf uses their clubs exactly how they would use them down at the local course as they do in the land of WGT then by all means feel free to critique. However that means everything in relation to whether you would use a punch, pitch, chip, flop, etc. in exactly the same situation as you were playing real golf. I prefer to pitch around the WGT greens as that is what works best for me. However if I was playing Saturday morning at the local course and my ball wound up on the fringe I would more than likely chip or putt the ball and roll it towards the hole. But in the land of make believe golf I can use my 64 degree wedge and stop it dead in its tracks at 17 yards which I will never be able to do in the real world. 

I just want people to enjoy themselves and have fun playing this game because I know I do. If it makes it more fun for someone to chip rather than putt have at it. 

Fair enough.

Hit 'em straight and seldom! 

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Jan 24 2018 9:09 AM

WigerToods2010:

Please stop the we/us/gamer/golfer crap talk.

9/10 years of playing an online virtual golf game makes you a gamer whether you like the title or not.

True this, and to add since WGT left out the physics of DRAW AND FADE with your IRONS (not the driver though) I happen to know, in this regard, WGT is the least REALISTIC.

In fact, besides Atari golf which I played in the early '80s, I don't know any other golf game that omitted the ability to DRAW AND FADE AND IRON APPROACH.

Talking about making a mock of the game, there is one thing I enjoy is when I hit a nice FADE, in fact, after a quick test after this new update I can tell you WGT seems to make the off ding, NOW, a very unpredictable result.

Which is another sad thing because Jack Nicklaus prefers not a straight shot but he was known for always fading his forward shots. Not here, Jack would be in the brush.

I digress, but the ball drop is usually a joke, another limitation unforeseen by the crew who photograph the courses (which is a timely and expensive approach that seems to keep WGT from introducing a new courses)

Again, if you had the talent to left a ball off the green and chip it in, everyone who could would follow suit.

Plus, UL is the norm on the games I've played, the default. WGT makes it an option for some reason, likely a gamer reason (rimshot) 

RSS