Forums

Help › Forums

What clubs to buy at each level?

Wed, Feb 7 2024 11:48 AM (30 replies)
  • ChrisTucker5
    18 Posts
    Wed, May 17 2017 7:14 PM

Hi! I am considering buying good clubs, but I was wondering what are good reasonably priced clubs and how long can they last me?

For example Club set Y is good for amateur through tour pro ect.

Or is there a club set I can get that will set me up for good? I just want to work on my skills without having to worry if my equipment is good enough or not.

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Thu, May 18 2017 9:11 AM

ChrisTucker5:

Hi! I am considering buying good clubs, but I was wondering what are good reasonably priced clubs and how long can they last me?

For example Club set Y is good for amateur through tour pro ect.

Or is there a club set I can get that will set me up for good? I just want to work on my skills without having to worry if my equipment is good enough or not.

Smart move on your part and very good as well . Dont worry about upgrades for right now play with the starters for now .. At L25 Amatuer I would suggest that you Play up to L30  Pro - Tour Pro before upgrading . You dont want to waste credits and make the upgrades last as long as possible .

Until then do the credit offers to earn credits . Watch the videos and do the surveys and build up a credit stash to help make those upgrades .Then when you make them just plan ahead . Take into consideration that you will continue to be moving back on the tees until you reach Legend tier . Once you reach Legend that will be the final tee move you will make .

So until then work on your game . Learn your different shots also course management ball placement and work on your putting and reading the greens . One thing you can do is play some stroke play practice rounds and move back on the tees . See what the range is with your starter clubs for a better idea of how to plan your upgrades .

I upgraded from the ends starting with driver and putter . Then wedges irons and finally the 3 wood .  You may choose a different route to go none of them will be wrong as itwill all be up to you . 

• ChrisTucker5
    18 Posts
    Thu, May 18 2017 10:50 AM

Thank you so much for the reply.

Alright, I don't mind using real money to get the credits needed to upgrade. If there is no right or wrong way to upgrade then that is cool. I just didn't want to accidently get one set when another set I could of gotten would of been better.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Thu, May 18 2017 1:42 PM

IBTD:

"at each level" is a concept which will please the company but will do you no good!

At each level, clubs are on offer, regardless of their effects.

According to common sense here, there are clubs worth the buy while others are never mentioned.

IIRC, L30 R1 is the first to stand out...

• ChrisTucker5
    18 Posts
    Thu, May 18 2017 2:50 PM

Oh I am sorry, what I meant was tiers not actual levels.

• EasyEdward
    13,495 Posts
    Fri, May 19 2017 8:29 AM

The Frugal Player's WGT Club Upgrade Approach

Whether purchasing credits is within your means and you determine that you will spend real money or you intend to watch videos and fill out surveys; there is no reason to spend WGT credits foolishly.

This post will explain one method of maximally purchasing 2 improvements for each item in your bag and having what you need to face the challenges of the Legend Tier.  This approach should get you to Legend Tier within a budget of 20,000 credits.

WGT offers numerous clubs and balls to purchase that enhance your ability to play better (lower your score).  This post is not an attempt to judge the merits of all of the offerings but rather to give an outline of what is generally needed, when and why. 

At this time a new member of WGT receives the starter clubs and one somewhat more advanced club: The Max Driver Level 0 with a 230 yard average distance.  These clubs are all sufficient for the hack and amateur levels.

FIRST:  Once you run out of the good balls that WGT gives a new player the frugal player does not use their precious credits buying balls.  Rather they save for clubs for the simple reason that the expensive balls better distance or spin will not be realized with clubs that WGT gives you. I recommend either playing with the starter ball, or the 10 credit WGT BES ball (at most the 64 credit GI2-S or the 65 credit Tour SD).

When the Pro level is attained clubs and club purchases start to take on added significance.

Below is an outline of what you will need on a journey to and including Legend Tier. Please note these are not in the order one should purchase them.

Driver

Off the Pro tees the first thing you will find is that 230 yards is not sufficient a distance for a driver on a number of holes on many courses. You will also note the starter iron set is not long enough for a number of holes off the Pro and Tour Pro Tees for your approach shot.  However, a player reaching the Pro Tier has very limited options due to the level needed for a frugal set of club purchases.

My advice is to play on with all the starters and save credits by waiting until you reach Level 48 and purchase the R-1 driver rated at 275 yards.  If however it is too frustrating for you to wait a viable inexpensive driver is the WGT Pro 9.5 driver at 250 yards and just 250 credits until the L-48 R-1 is available. However, the 250 yards off the Master tees will be too short for many of the same holes the 230 does not work off the Pro Tees so it is a short term fix.

Once the credits are in hand and Level 48 is attained; the R-1 takes care of two problems at once. The fairways are all reachable and your starter irons are now long enough to allow reaching all the Par 4s in 2. The R-1 is good enough that no further driver purchase is needed until you reach the 80s in Levels and are closing in on or already a Legend.

Wedges

Your wedges are the backbone of your game.  There are a number of types available each with different attributes. Generally the WGT wedges should be avoided as well as any wedge until the late 20s in level. At that point the Cleveland, ATV and Ping wedges start becoming available.  The objective is to replace your 50 and 75 yard WGT starters with something comparable. A third wedge can be added but decide which irons you will be getting first so you know which longer wedge to get.  General rule of thumb is to evenly space as close as possible your wedges and iron set’s pitching wedge.

If you have enough credits set aside for the R-1 then start buying wedges at these lower levels before anything else. In yardage terms 60, 80 and 100 or 50, 75 and 100 are perfect - knowing that someday you will have an iron set with a Pitching Wedge of 110 to 120 yards.

Wedges should be upgraded to the higher level wedges when they become available but that will not be until you have a Level of over 80.

Irons

Lots of different thoughts here the R-11 irons in the 30s are used by many well into the Master tier, but by the time you have your R-1 in your bag two other sets are either available or close to being available. The Level 40s Max slow meter irons are one and the level 50s Ping G-20 which was less expensive before they became the G-25s is the other set.  Both are playable as a Tour Master and again need not be replaced until you are in the 80s level.

My advice would be to either go for the R-11s or wait for Max Meter set rather than the G25s just for cost purposes. The biggest problem however with that recommendation is that the 200 / 205 yard distance for the 3-Iron is tough off the Master tees on a few holes even with the R-1 in your bag.

3 Wood

The three wood is not used very often so it should be the last purchase for the frugal player.

Once again there are many options.

Off the Master tees you will need a 230 or 235 yard 3 wood. By Legend you will need a 240 or 245 yard 3 wood. A medium high or high trajectory is helpful to hold the greens when using the 3 wood for an approach shot.  

Putter

The starter putter is pretty darn good. Many call it the best club that WGT gives you for free. It certainly can be used until in the Master tier. The ultimate in frugality is to purchase just one putter – the Level 55 Daytona Rossa. Many Legends use it to very good effect. Most however replace their first putter with a higher level one; two good choices appear to be the Versa or the Nike.

Balls

Your ball selection is numerous and can, within a short period of time, become your largest expense. Another post goes in to the attributes of many of the offerings made by WGT so no attempt will be made to repeat that here.  The frugal player will however initially minimize the cost of balls in order to save credits to purchase clubs by playing with free or 10 credit balls. Once credits are on hand and club purchases are underway a better ball does offer advantages, but the frugal player does not jump immediately to a 450 credit ball that last 15 rounds.

WGT offers two balls that are relatively inexpensive, The 64 credit GI2-S and the 65 credit Tour SD. It should be noted the GI2-S balls last longer than the Tour SD so they are even less expensive than they appear.

When the frugal player has determined that credits are being set aside at an appropriate level for the final round of club upgrades the time has come to determine which ball type is within their budget. Included in that consideration is what your clubs and needs are for game performance. High Spin clubs do not require high spin balls; faster speed clubs may require a ball with a slower meter; now and only then should they invest in more expensive balls.

• ChrisTucker5
    18 Posts
    Fri, May 19 2017 1:51 PM

Thank you, thank you so much for this. I will keep it saved for sure, this is just beyond awesome.

I have no problems waiting until level 48 to get that driver. I am level 28 so only 20 more levels to go.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sun, May 21 2017 1:52 PM

I followed a lot of the recommendations in Ed Frugal golfers advice.  One thing I did that was not included, is that I used the "coins" on the mobile/tablet platform to rent the coin rentals on that platform to help get me to the higher levels and remain competitive.

It can be frustrating playing par golf from the pro tees while hacks and amatures outdrive you because they are playing from forward tees even with their beginner equipment, not to mention if you come across someone that has upgraded.  You can learn a lot about course management and even the importance of laying up on long par 4's and using a wedge to get close rather than trying to reach an unreachable green and play out of the junk which can be done but more difficult to get up and down to save par. 

Even with upgraded clubs now at Master tier, there are still situations where I can not reach a par 4 in certain headwind conditions. 

if you want to piece a set together there are some great choices that can be made along the way to build your bag slowly or you can just wait until approximately L59 and buy the Ping G25 set, resale the hybrid club back to the pro shop, and add some good wedges which you could have done along the way. 

Many players strongly advocate Cleveland wedges, they are more expensive and play differently than the ATV wedges.  It depends on what you would like.  I went the ATV route to start because they were more economical.  I could virtually get 3 clubs for the price of one Cleveland wedge just about. 

You could buy clubs appropriate for every tier, but then you are wasting some money because if you grind it out the frugal path you can obtain one set that will essentially take you from pro - tour master, and possibly reach legend but from those tees if you want to remain competitive upgrades as mentioned will be necessary or you will feel like you are playing starter clubs again.  Takes some enjoyment out of the game for me.  That being said, you don't necessarily want to progress extremely fast, because it takes a very long time to even unlock the clubs available at the higher tiers. 

For example, while you may advance to the next level after 1000 XP early on, the level progression starts to dramatically slow in the low 80's and even more so in the 90's where it can take over 200,000XP to advance to the next level.  It is very important to utilize the CDP bonus to help progress up the levels otherwise it will take you even longer!  I believe it caps out around 250,000 or so in the late 90's to early L100.  Would have to double check to be exact, but it is level progression that allows you to unlock equipment you will need at the higher tiers.  It takes quite a bit of time to reach those levels, so I wouldn't recommend trying to speed up the "tiers" pro, master, legend, because you will be stuck with clubs without being able to upgrade to better clubs until you earn hundreds of thousands of XP!  It takes time, settle in learn as you go and develop a well rounded game. 

Upgrading balls can offset the limitations of some clubs, even the starters to an extent, but realize you will eventually spend as much on a few sleeves of "credit" balls that you could buy better equipment for.  Seems odd to me.  I still play the free balls on the tablet platform to build experience points and when I want to focus on scores use credit balls on the computer where the mouse appears to be less forgiving to the tapping on the tablet/mobile platform. 

I have tried to get some additional advice myself on the best route to upgrades at the higher levels, would prefer to only upgrade one more time but that means I would need to be able to play at a level I may not enjoy for the next 1 million plus XP I need to unlock that higher end equipment.  It could take at least a year to achieve that many XP.  Is that reasonable?  I don't know?

I don't know it all, but this is just what I have learned in my 11 or so weeks playing after doing some researching  and investigating the best way to approach upgrades without spending hundreds of dollars on equipment that may need to replaced a short or long time later depending on your approach. 

Best of luck!

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Mon, May 22 2017 10:56 AM

I posted my approach to club procurement in this thread:

#mce_temp_url#

• EarlyCuyler3
    8 Posts
    Wed, Nov 8 2017 10:06 AM

First off, thank you for the excellent post.  I'm going by this guide as I begin to approach getting clubs.  One question I have is about wedges though and that's the first thing I'll be buying.

I get the reasoning on space out club distances.  I like the way the Cleveland 558's look, but the yardage doesn't seem to match up.  The options are 105,90,75, and 60.  So my question is how to pick the best working set out of that?  And as far as they related to irons, I think I've decided on the Max Meter ones at L47.  Thanks for your help and thanks again for such an informative post.  Can't stress how much this has helped.

RSS