QUICK QUESTION FROM A NEW GUY!!

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 14 2017 10:32 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • bailchrioch
    2 Posts
    Fri, May 5 2017 5:04 PM

First...

I have been reading about clubs an awful lot... Seems like the most talked about iron set was a level 85 nike set?

Yes i understand I am a long way away from that... But I don't see these irons anywhere.

I do see level 85 callaway irons...?

Are the specs and ratings the same for each?...

If not can someone who has the nikes post the specs for me so I can get something close to it?

Very much appreciate any info you guys can provide!

-bailchrioch

• SeveFrost
    1,497 Posts
    Sat, May 6 2017 11:54 AM

the Calloway steelhead irons are almost identical to the Nike irons but have a slightly slower meter. they also seem to hold the line better when playing in windy conditions.

If you have the credits id highly recommend them

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sat, May 6 2017 1:26 PM

There are no Nike clubs in the pro shop anymore, Nike have stopped making golf clubs.

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Sat, May 6 2017 1:55 PM

bailchrioch:
    Yes i understand I am a long way away from that

Probably longer than you even realize!

bailchrioch:
    can someone who has the nikes post the specs for me

Here you go dreamer ;-)

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sat, May 6 2017 2:00 PM

Since you are about 295K XP's away from L85, you will have plenty of time  The first irons you should seriously consider are the L59 Pings.  You need about 89K XP's by comparison.

In the mean time, just enjoy the game and try to learn as much as you can about it.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sat, May 6 2017 2:10 PM

You are about 295K XP's away from L85.  The first iron set you should seriously consider buying is the L59 Ping G25's.  You're abut 86K XP's to that level.  They are the first iron set available with high trajectory.

In the mean time, just enjoy the game and keep learning. Learn to play all the courses. Always ask in the Forum before buying any clubs.  There are many people who will give you good advice.

Good Luck and have fun.

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 9:35 AM

I started playing this game a month ago, so I just went through the process that you are slogging through right now.  

A quick aside before I get into the meat of my response: It became clear to me very quickly that, to be competitive here, you MUST upgrade equipment.  That's not to say that you must upgrade anything to have FUN here - you don't - but to be COMPETITIVE, you really do. Yes, I'm sure there are a couple of players who are outliers and serve as exceptions to this, but whatever.  The game is effectively rigged to put you at a DISTINCT disadvantage if you choose not to upgrade equipment; to be clear, this isn't a criticism of WGT - kudos to them for figuring out how to monetize their game better than any other game developers I've ever seen.

That said...

I AM competitive; so for me upgrading was a given.  I'm also thrifty, so I wanted maximum ROI on credits spent, and I only wanted to upgrade each item in my bag one time for the foreseeable future, so I did A LOT of digging through these forums to help me accomplish my goal.  I distilled that information into an action plan that would enable me to upgrade my whole bag for under 6,400 credits.  Here's the plan I followed (not necessarily right for everyone, but this is how I did it):

Step 1: Buy the R11 3 wood at L30.  It's cheap, it's forgiving, and it's as long as the drivers you can obtain at this level (longer, if you consider that you can also hit it off the deck on par fives and long par fours).  You can EASILY use it as your driver until you reach Tour Pro, and you can use it as 3W long after that.  It's 395 credits, but only 356 after the 10% discount (I always made sure I already had the credits I needed when I got to the levels where I'd need them, so that I could always take the discount).

Step 2: Upgrade the wedges.  I did this at L42, procuring the L42 Gorge 60*, the L41 Gorge 54*, and the L39 ATV 64*.  The base distances for those three are 50/75/95 which are the increments I wanted, but YMMV.  Cost on the Gorge are 295 each and the ATV is 495.  Total for all three, with the discount, comes out to 978 credits.  NOTE: I wanted precision wedge play, so I put all three in my bag immediately; this basically means one "extra" wedge in the bag since the starter PW (which you can't remove) has a base yardage of 90 (which makes it worthless with the 95 yard Gorge in the bag), and it means a gap in the longer clubs since you have to lose the hybrid to add the extra wedge.  I was OK with this, and in fact it's not hard to learn how to use the R11 3 wood to cover most of the shots in the 190-210 range with a little practice.  Again, this won't be right for everyone, but it's how I did it.

Step 3: Add the R1 driver at L48.  This club is a true difference maker.  Love it.  And after hitting the R11 3 wood so much prior to this, I found the R1 really easy to hit (those two clubs are very similar in their "playability").  It's a bit expensive at 2,495 (2,246 with the discount) but you'll be able to use it for a VERY long time.

Step 4: Get the Daytona putter at L55.  I was originally going to save putter for last, but I noticed that I was lipping out A LOT of putts with the starter putter, and I couldn't escape the thought that many of those would be falling with a better putter. When I read through the thread on putter mapping and saw just how much more consistent the Daytona was than the starter putter (on true "ding" putts), I knew it was a no-brainer.  I've only had it a few days and it has already made a HUGE difference in holing mid-range putts (say 10-25 feet).  It only costs 725 credits (653 with the discount) which strikes me as a stupid good value for what you're getting with this in your bag.

Step 5: Close out the upgrades with the G25 irons at L59.  I've literally had these in my bag less than 24 hours, so I'm still getting a feeling for them, but the difference between these and the rest of the irons I've hit is stark; the high ball flight makes a big difference in your ability to follow Harvey Penick's advice and "take dead aim".  There will be a learning curve, for sure - but after just a couple of rounds I know these are going to cut my "avg. distance to pin" stat considerably.  Price is 2,395 credits, which works out to 2,156 with the discount.

Total for everything, after the discount, works out to 6,389 credits and I shouldn't have to upgrade anything other than balls for the foreseeable future.  NOTE: I'm still hitting starter balls, but am researching ball upgrades now and will probably start investing in balls soon.  I just didn't see the point until I had all of the starter clubs out of my bag.

Whew...   :-)

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Wed, May 10 2017 12:40 AM

flatstick96:
    Whew...   :-)

You know way too much.... :-)

Coupled with shooting a -7 on your 2nd day playing WGT,your putting stats/ sand saves with starter wedges and the heavy usage of big XP custom tracks...meaning you've probably shot all of 25 RR.

Has restart written all over it.

Andy

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Wed, May 10 2017 9:26 AM

I've seen some people here take offense when accused of "restarting", but knowing that I *didn't* do that, I will personally choose to take your stated opinion as a compliment. So...thanks!   :-)

I've played this game for just over a month.  The purpose of my above post was to try and communicate what I've learned to other new players.  Essentially, my previous post was the kind of summary that I wish I'd been able to find when I was starting out, so I figured I'd "give back" and post my experience for the benefit of others in the future.  Hopefully, other beginners will find this thread, and my previous post will help them enjoy WGT more than they otherwise would have.

To be clear, I don't think I'm particularly good at this game yet - maybe that's because Tour Legends keep beating my down in cash games, maybe it's because even just in my CC I can't even begin to contend in any tournaments - but I expect a lot of myself, and don't feel like I'm close to as good as I can or should be.  but I appreciate your words of encouragement.  :-)

• WildBillbakerhil
    80 Posts
    Fri, May 12 2017 4:10 PM

My only issue with clubs, is that they will not let you buy the better clubs. When I started playing the game, I bought the best clubs I could afford and competed with them. I don't care what you call me, I am still a golfer and love to compete with whomever I play. if you want to get real about the game go to the usga handicap system. The only way.

• PAGES
RSS