Forums

Help › Forums

What clubs to buy at each level?

Wed, Feb 7 2024 11:48 AM (30 replies)
  • alosso
    21,038 Posts
    Wed, Nov 8 2017 10:45 AM

Wedges must fit below the PW of your iron set, or below your final iron set, respectively. The common advice is to seek equal spacings - punch distances included.

Different concepts include short wedges of 50 or 60 yds, and long wedges of 100 yds and more. 50 - 75 - 100 or 60 - 80 - 100 are common.

Unfortunately, some wedge sets have awkward lengths, but you may combine them as their meter speeds are matching, more or less.

While two short wedges provide the most of improvement against Starter wedges, I'd not buy below L40, maybe L28.

• EarlyCuyler3
    8 Posts
    Wed, Nov 8 2017 11:19 AM

alosso:

While two short wedges provide the most of improvement against Starter wedges, I'd not buy below L40, maybe L28.

Ah, so I'm looking too low then?  I thought I had looked at higher level clubs, but maybe I didn't go far enough.  The 558's appeared to have the best stats for my type of style.  I like high spin and relatively high precision.  So much of my game is and will be max spin and trying to stop on a dime.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, Nov 8 2017 6:21 PM

You can consider the ATV wedges that start L38.  I used them and when I was at those levels and kept them until I could buy the top level Clevelands/  I went with 64, 60 and 54 degree wedges.  That gave me yardages of 50, 77 and 98 yds.  That worked OK with the L59 Ping irons as the PW is 115 yds.

You will want to wait until you can get the L59's for your first Iron set, as they are the first irons available with High trajectory and a reasonable meter speed.  Easy Edwards plan is the best, concise way to upgrade clubs.

Good Luck and always remember to enjoy the game.

• alosso
    21,038 Posts
    Wed, Nov 8 2017 9:32 PM

phred952:
    ou can consider the ATV wedges that start L38.
    +1!

Thought of these, but be patient to buy the shorter ones (50 / 77 yds) which come a few levels later.

OTOH, L59 @88,000 XPs may be a tad late for the first irons to buy. Aren't there good intermediates (R11 @L32 etc.)?

• EarlyCuyler3
    8 Posts
    Thu, Nov 9 2017 4:54 AM

alosso:
    OTOH, L59 @88,000 XPs may be a tad late for the first irons to buy. Aren't there good imtermediates

That's what I'm thinking.  I'm going to get some before then.  I think I was liking the look of the MAX ones.  Early 40's maybe?

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Thu, Nov 9 2017 11:20 AM

Like most things in this game it becomes a trade off.  The 2 Iron sets Easy Edward mentions are the L32 R11 TMs, and the L47 Max irons.  Distance of the 3I becomes a big point, if you are going to go to a 3 wedge setup and get rid of the hybrid. 

You could find yourself buying a 3W as a temporary club to fill the yardage gap, until a better 3W becomes available.  I had good luck with Ping G25 3Ws (L59 and L83), and used them until I could get a higher level Nike 3W (L86). 

On a free rental weekend, I tested the Ping L83 against a Cally X2Hot L73 3W and found my average distance with the Ping to be less than 1 yd of the Cally.  And the Ping is about 1/2 the price.

The difference in spin on the irons is also somewhat of a factor along with med/high trajectory compared to the high trajectory of the G25's.

Reaching L47 and the Max irons requires 45915 XPs, while the R11's are available to you now.  Either choice might find you considering another iron set as a stop gap until you reach L85 which requires 298215 XPs.  That is the point the Cally High Trajectory irons become available.  They are quite a game changer (at least the same level Nikes that these replaced were for me).

All along the way, it's a grind to level up and get access to better (and more expensive) equipment.  A set of irons now may help your game now, and that's fine as long as you are aware that others will be needed in the future.  

Shop wisely, conserve your credits where you can and above all, have fun and enjoy the game.

• EarlyCuyler3
    8 Posts
    Thu, Nov 9 2017 4:00 PM

Thanks for the response again.  So let's say I go ahead and get the R-11's now and not worry about the credits down the road.  Would that work for now with the 3 wedge setup in the pro tier?  Or should I just get 2 wedges and get a 3W until I hit L59?  Thanks, just trying to understand the gaps and what I need before I make a purchase.  I would like to go ahead and get an iron set now, as those levels are a ways down the road.  I'm planning on buying the wedges first but then the irons right after that.

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Thu, Nov 9 2017 6:24 PM
    EarlyCuyler3:

Thanks for the response again.  So let's say I go ahead and get the R-11's now and not worry about the credits down the road.  Would that work for now with the 3 wedge setup in the pro tier?  Or should I just get 2 wedges and get a 3W until I hit L59?  Thanks, just trying to understand the gaps and what I need before I make a purchase.  I would like to go ahead and get an iron set now, as those levels are a ways down the road.  I'm planning on buying the wedges first but then the irons right after that.

Get your irons first and then your wedges . When picking your wedges start with the p/w and work backwards . Space your wedges 15 - 20 yards apart is the standard norm . If you look at the older players you will see that most have 3 wedges spaced at 60 ,80 ,and 100 yards . This combination will cover the distances you will need with a variety of different shots . So you will need to learn shot selection pitch punch flop and chip shots and the distances of the wedges when using them . Good luck and hope this helps .
  • phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Thu, Nov 9 2017 6:30 PM

You are playing with coin gear, and I have no idea as to the specs on it.  One way you might determine what to get first would be to track how many approach shots you have to make within wedge range for some 9 hole rounds.  Tracking the distance will help determine which wedges to get first.  If you play like most of us did, you may be making a lot of shots within punch and pitch range as your 3rd shot, to get on the green.  That will tell you which clubs might give you the most benefit now.

I would go with at least 2 wedges now, the 50 yd and the 77 yd,  if you are going to keep the hybrid for a while.  If you can afford the irons too, I would get the R11 irons now.  You need about 70K XPs to get to L59.  It will take a while to get there.

One thing to remember is that better clubs will help you level and tier up faster, leading to the eventual need to upgrade your equipment again.  Tiering up will mean longer tees, faster green speeds, etc.  LOL, a treadmill for a while.

Good Luck.

• Higgs20
    451 Posts
    Wed, Nov 29 2017 12:58 PM

since y'all have done a solid job talking about the irons and driver (yes, the L48 TM driver will get you to Legend and revolutionizes your game once you get it!), I wanted to add my 2 cents about the wedges.

I grinded through offers and videos and yadda yadda for a long time to save up for the Cleveland trinity, but used the MAX spin 56 (60y) and 64 (90y) degrees for a long time while getting there. in hindsight, that was dumb.  the smarter move IMO would be the Ping Gorge of the same lofts (75y and 90y), or even just the 64 degree now that I think about it more IF you REALLY want to save credits that is.  they are more precise, and you almost NEVER used the absolute max backspin on the MAX wedges.  even the cheap balls would go out of control.  the Pings are 1/3 of the price BTW.  learn to use the punch shots for your wedges and you will realize how much "full swing" distances you have covered.

once you advance into the tour master or legend levels, then you absolutely must map out your clubs from tee to green.  proper spacing is paramount so don't buy for the sake of buying.  FWIW, the L80 64 degree Cleveland is lethal and worth its weight in gold!  if you only splurge once in the game, it is for that club.  I would then add the 100 yarder, and then the 80 if you have credits burning your virtual wallet (I seem to rarely use it).  also, IMO, the Tour-SD balls are all you "need" to help score low until you hit legend.  at that point the greens become NASTY and the L33 Cally will be your best friend and worth the video watching time.  I was SO disappointed to find that their was no good WGT branded ball at this level, even though some are offered.  they are horrid and of no value on the links.  but I digress! 

RSS