Forums

Help › Forums

2 Drivers/3 Wedges??

Sat, Jul 31 2010 2:34 PM (69 replies)
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2009 9:34 AM

claremoreblue:
    HB, you have done nothing but contribute advice to a fellow player!
    QFT...  You shouldn't take the blame just because the thread deteriorates into a testosterone fueled measuring contest.  That speaks more to the character of the participants.

claremoreblue:
    but I at times can't help but amuse myself via Faterson!! :)  
    Oh oh!! .. can I play?!?!

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2009 9:43 AM

I need an intervention I think Snaike!! :)  I am now signed up on the ladder league! Lets get it on!! I am in the process of learning how it works! Everyone have a great day, I'm gonna get me some top guns here!!

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2009 10:00 AM

HBThree:
    whitten1823:
    OOOh my goodness what have I started?!?!!??!
    OMG is correct....

It isn't. I'm sure whitten1823's remark was only jocular, and I assure you there's no ill-will, let alone testosterone (excessive) mentioned by The Boilerplate Man, between Cobra4 & myself; we agreed during our round we thoroughly enjoyed bantering with each other in a friendly fashion, and that's all there is to it. We thank you for your remark, HBThree, as it prompted us to conduct the Rapture vs. TaylorMade driver contest.  

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2009 10:21 AM

What are you insinuating Snaike about my character ?

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2009 12:09 PM

HBThree:
    whitten1823:
    OOOh my goodness what have I started?!?!!??!
    OMG is correct....
    Not a thing, Cobra...  I was responding to the obvious angst and discomfort of the two participants quoted above... they seemed concerned that their original topic had gotten out of hand, so I simply let them know that even if it did, they are not to blame.

Ps... I'm looking for a Blue Duck on a ladder soon... To teach me how to hit this little yellow ball!! (yea yea... I bought the gold ones)

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2009 1:49 PM

This site is so damn civilized!  Gotta love it.  I offer up thoughts on some online newspaper sites, touching on political topics, and you should the sh*t that hits the fan.  I always try to remain reasonable and well-balanced, like most everyone on here, but there are still some nasty battles and name-calling.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Sep 8 2009 3:26 PM

Now that the nastiness and name-calling appear to be done here's a personal example of carrying 2 drivers, the R9 8.5 Master and the Ping Rapture V2, from the white tees at BPB.

But first let me say I'm one who made the Master tier way, way too soon.  I dipped my toe below the old threshold just once and got snapped up by the monster.  Like a wildebeest crossing a Kenyan river.  One compensating factor of being a misplaced Pro level player is I get to use the R9 Master clubs.

Two weeks ago, I replaced my Rapture 3H with the R9 8.5 and been learning to hit it during mult-player games and weekly unlimited play games.  Actually still haven't got used to the fast meter speed,  but learning to compensate while aiming for my tendency to push the drives with the R9.  (I suffer from OGR, or Old Guy Reflexes.)

I played this month's Internation Open on BPB from the whites.  Below is my scorecard. Enhanced to show which driver I used on each hole.  Its a perfect example of the risk vs reward mentioned by Faterson, Snaike and others.  My strategy is to use the Ping Rapture drivers on holes where its easy to drive the R9 through a dogleg (#2) and wherever the wind is favorable and I can get 'close enough' with the Ping to have a good chance at birdie.

During the round I missed 4 of 14 fairways.  I hit the fairway 8 of 11 times with the R9 and all 3 of my birdies came with the R9.  I hit the Rapture driver 3 times and missed one fairway.  See OGR.  Fortunately I was able to scramble home in par when I missed the fairways but any chance of me making birdie from the rough or bunker was slim. Playing from the rough is something I need to work on if I hope to carry only the R9.  By the way, taking out the 3H really puts a big hole in the recovery shot game.  I likely hit R9 too much.  Like on #6, no need to hit it because the Rapture will put me 130 yds out on top of the hill and its an easy shot from there.  But it just too much damn fun to blow the R9 down the hill and have a little wedge!!  Except this time the OGR kicked in and I blew it right into the deep stuff and hacked it out and down the hill...  I think I need to shoot a round with HBThree to get the hang of this 2 driver thing.

Faterson, I did birdie #7 into the wind with the R9 8.5 off the tee, close to the trees, and then took a little off an R9 3W to get it close for a bird.  See the replay here .

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Sep 8 2009 4:50 PM

Personally, I don't like the idea of carrying two drivers. It seems to be an inefficient use of the bag to have two clubs with the same singular purpose.  I understand the argument of risk vs reward, but I feel that if you can't consistently hit the TM, then you shouldn't carry it in the first place.  That slot would be better utilized with an extra wedge since a much higher percentage of shots is taken from inside of 100 yards where more precision is required to score.  I think you can recover from a missed fairway far easier than you can from a mishit or poorly judged wedge that leaves a 25 foot putt.

I applaud the efforts on the documentation, however, I think you'll need about 100 more samples for it to be relevant to anyone besides yourself because no one plays the game quite like you play the game.

Whatever works though.  That's why they gave us options. =)

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Wed, Sep 9 2009 3:27 AM

The words from one of WGT's greatest golfers........

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Wed, Sep 9 2009 8:49 AM

I now have the R9 master and my trusty RaptureV2....I'm only carrying the R9...like all clubs, the meter speed is determined by the amount of takeaway/backswing. A 3/4 takeaway with an R9 has a meter speed which is only oh so very slightly faster than the Rapture V2 full swing speed. Where as i need a wide fairway to have confidence to spank a full R9, i can hit the 3/4 R9 shots with regular ease and confidence.

My personal reasons for never carrying 2 drivers as illustrated below;

RSS