Forums

Help › Forums

2 Drivers/3 Wedges??

Sat, Jul 31 2010 2:34 PM (69 replies)
  • cobra4
    359 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 1:50 AM

Mr Fatterson,you have been challenged........Time to step up to the plate and prove your statements are right. GAME ON.

P.S..Don't forget to include the extra driver

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 4:24 AM

claremoreblue:
    Faterson, if you or hbthree were playing top notch players, and the like in the ladder matches, you would be getting spanked daily! If you think not

Of course I don't believe you. Unlike me, HBThree is an elite player, and he might beat you handily, I'm sure. Instead of bragging emptily, dear Duck, you might want to join the Ladders yourself & try to dethrone and replace the current leader, TheMaven, or his pursuers HBThree and thbbunce. If you think that will be an easy thing to accomplish, you should think again!    

I'll be happy to play a Ladder game with you any time, Duck or Salamii; please just send me a PM to set up an appointment. I happen to be the no. 3 of the current Ladder 18 ranking; not primarily because of my skill, but thanks to this contest only having been launched recently. So, by beating me in a Ladder 18 game, both you & Salamii can make a significant jump in the Ladder 18 ranking. Let's just do it, instead of trash-talking.

Cobra4:
    Mr Fatterson,you have been challenged........Time to step up to the plate and prove your statements are right. GAME ON.

P.S..Don't forget to include the extra driver

I wish you'd at least read my statements before you reply to them, Cobra4!   As I've just explained, I see no sense in carrying 2 drivers if the R9 driver is only slightly better than the Rapture driver. If, however, I was allowed to carry the newest, Master-only R9 driver, that gives you a whopping 30 average yards of advantage upon every tee shot hit – I'd definitely consider the option of carrying 2 drivers.

That being said, Cobra4, I'm pretty confident I'd beat you if I played with my Rapture clubs & you with your TaylorMade clubs. I've seen this happen so frequently it's not funny anymore.    Feel free to send me a PM any time to set up a match. I see that you already have joined the Ladder site, so this might be a good game for us to play. I suggest a Ladder 18 game, incorporating two Ladder 9 games, OK?  

• scoresby
    158 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 5:34 AM

my two-bits - The right tools for the job.

Shortly after I got the R-9 - 9.5 deg in my bag, I bought the Rapture 10.5 deg to try.  Sure enough, it was much easier to hit.

I soon realized that with one club or the other in the bag there were shortcomings; either accuracy with R-9 or distance with Rapture.

So I began carrying both.  Especially on BP.front.  I have not yet been able to reach #7 in two with anything but favorable wind and R-9 and TM Tour Brnr 3wd combo.

Get by just fine fine with PW, and two different 60s.

However, when and if I make it to master tier I suspect I will have gained enough proficiency around the greens to minimize the effect of difficulties off the tee.  Then maybe I'll go back to a single driver.

Kiawah requires an entirely different club selection due to the fairway widths, rough and sand density effects, etc.

Again, the appropriate tool kit for the job at hand.

Cheers,

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 5:53 AM

scoresby:
    I have not yet been able to reach #7 in two with anything but favorable wind and R-9 and TM Tour Brnr 3wd combo.

I regularly reach the green in 2 on hole 7 using only Rapture clubs, and no wind support is necessary. (Extra-distance balls are a must, though.) I have recorded a replay of this approach shot, because many people don't want to believe approach shots like this are possible on a regular basis. 

Of course, in order to get yourself in position for that approach shot, you need to try to direct your drive as close to the right-hand woods as possible. You can take a chance on this using the Rapture driver, but trying to hit this sort of a shot with the R9 driver often ends in disaster. (By the way, I remember I happened to lose my Starters Tournament match with Cobra4 mainly due to having put my drive on this hole into long weeds, being no longer used to the starters driver. I triple-bogeyed the hole and, also due to basic-putter woes, catching up with Cobra4 proved to be an impossible undertaking.)

When you have headwind, though, it's pretty difficult to reach the green in 2 on hole 7 even using the strongest TaylorMade clubs. Of course, this is exactly the kind of hole where you desperately need to make the best possible use of your 3 Wood club, unlike what Kaslo said.

Otherwise, full agreement with Scoresby's post.  

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 7:52 AM

: ))

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 8:30 AM

Snaike...You have it sir, with one additional comment.  I use the R-9 on holes that are wider in terms of fairway and where a longer tee shot allows me a much shorter club for my approach.  

But the whole idea for me is to play better competitive golf on the WGT Ladder....HBthree

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 8:51 AM

I'm sure the Ladder is fun, but it is to tiresome to get people to show and actually play from past experience in the tournaments. I generally stay on mirc and do match play from there in the evenings. That and the others I play in, plus the weeklies are more than enough right now!

Maybe later when things ice over here, i will sign up and play that, but right now i cannot! If I cannot commit to something fully, I choose not to participate, which in my opinion should be the case here in any tourney one signs up for!  :) 

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 8:53 AM

QUOTE....(By the way, I remember I happened to lose my Starters Tournament match with Cobra4 mainly due to having put my drive on this hole into long weeds, being no longer used to the starters driver. I triple-bogeyed the hole and, also due to basic-putter woes, catching up with Cobra4 proved to be an impossible undertaking.)

Using your rapture's too, will prove an impossible undertaking as well Fatterson.Ready & waiting

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 10:32 AM

Claremoreblue, right now there's no obligation to participate in Ladder games. You don't need to commit yourself to playing any games. You may simply join the Ladder site & challenge the current Ladder 9 leader, TheMaven, or the current Ladder 18 leader, HBThree, for a game. If you win that single game, that will be enough to dethrone them and we'll have a new no. 1.

Now, as to advancing to no. 1 yourself, that will be more difficult as it can indeed be hard to find enough playing partners ranked above you. But Mark Holliday, the site admin, is deliberating on how to change the rules so that they facilitate swift progress for the really good & active players.

(Cobra4, I sent you an invite a couple of minutes ago & will be waiting for your response via PM within 15 minutes from now. If we can't make it tonight, I'm sure we'll manage to play some other day. Please always send me a PM to contact me; this forum, due to a bug, doesn't send email notifications of replies, and I only happened to notice your challenge now, although you posted it 2 hours ago, and I've been online all the time. If you send a PM, I'll get an email that I'll notice right away.)

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Sun, Sep 6 2009 10:42 AM

Ready.....

RSS