Forums

Help › Forums

2 Drivers/3 Wedges??

Sat, Jul 31 2010 2:34 PM (69 replies)
  • Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 10:29 AM

Mickleson carried 2 drivers during one of the later Masters tour. I use to carry two drivers for BP.  The one when I needed the distance like on 5,7,10, ect. I also carried that black driver if the fairway was tight and I really didnt need the distance. I.E. #2. One driver is more forgiving. Top players have completely differents sets for each course.

• whitten1823
    84 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 10:35 AM

Excellent explanations!! They all make plenty of sense. Thank you!!

• Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 10:37 AM

I can honestly say I was the first to carry three wedges. The advantage comes in the scramble game. When BP first came out I spent a lot of time scrambling from rough or sand. Once you start using the long distance wedges it's nice to  have a short distance wedge for the under 20 yard pitch/flops shots and of course the under 12 yard chips. There really is not need to carry a rescue club in Kiawah and Beth Page doesn't need a 3 wood. I do have to agree, carrying 2 drivers is not a good use of club management.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 11:07 AM

Kaslo:
    There really is not need to carry a rescue club in Kiawah and Beth Page doesn't need a 3 wood.

Bethpage doesn't need a 3-wood??? You've got to be kidding. Think of only hole 7; a 3-wood is absolutely essential there to reach the green in 2 (and that only if there's no headwind). Also, a 3-wood is always useful for the par 5 holes.

• Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 11:30 AM

Okay Fat Head. You're the freaking expert aren't you. Thanks for imparting your advise. Forget what anyone else says. You got the self confessed expert's advise. Ignore mine.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 11:31 AM

The approach shots to the green and beyond are were most strokes are consumed, putting is almost half your shots, unless of course you make them in one. Everyones posts are certainly valid to a point, but only if you are playing avg chasers and the like. If you score well consistantly, one bad drive a round is nothing.

That being said, my short wedge is 65 yrds, I do not believe I need one for 50. But I am capable fo hitting it 30 if need be, consistantly very close to the hole. But that is another topic, as to the short game strategy.

I say carry what you need, only each of you know what that is, don't fret about what other players are hitting. Use what is best for you, and ask for advice on the clubs, chipping, pitching, putting, and anything else. I myself loved the raptures irons, but they didn't work for me.

• whitten1823
    84 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 11:38 AM

The shorter distances are my problem with the 60 yarder. The 30 -45 yard shots. It'll end up long or short most of the time. The 50 is working so far.

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 11:41 AM

claremoreblue

Couldn't of said it better my self........Fatterson, if you carry an extra driver for the simple reason that your not confident of hitting the other one straight,then thats a waste of a club in your bag.Bin it, and put an extra wedge in instead

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 12:45 PM

Whitten, I would recomend you work on pitching distances. I almost never use the full club inside 40 yards anyway. Icon has a thread and several others on here pertaining to those short game shots. Search the box and look them up, and keep trying. It soon will come to you, and will be a much better player! Goodluck:

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Sep 5 2009 2:39 PM

The logic behind two drivers.. as stated by hbthree who carries two adn until recently was on top of the WGTLS ladders... was nothing more than Conservative vs Agressive.

hbthree, correct me if I'm off a bit.... but if he was ahead and could afford to play conservatively, he would get the shorter more accurate driver.... if he was behind and needed to make up some shots .. he could bring out the longer, yet less accurate driver, to play aggresive...   One off center hit on the longer driver, one fairway missed, can be the difference between winning and losing.  Can you afford to take that chance.

That's why you carry two drivers.

it's a risk v reward thing.. if you can't understand that, you can't understand golf.

RSS