Help › Forums

Losing forgiveness? Please: I need good advices

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 27 2017 6:45 AM (44 replies)
  • jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 12:46 PM

phred952:
    I guess I have to ask you, if you feel the way you stated, why were you passing along information in the forum?  I'm not trying to be ugly or start something up, but I would guess that you were trying to help the original poster.

Yes phred. If I had not asked a very similar question just a cople of days before, I would not have bothered to answer, simple because I couldn't give sound advice on the matter. I, honestly, was only trying to pass along what I was told by someone who I think the majority of players know is keen on this game and it's idiosyncrasies.

phred952:
    Probably the only exception are those few conspiracy theorists (you know who I mean) that come out of the woodwork at times.

LOL...I've been known to come out of the woodwork on occasion myself with the tin-foil hat.

phred952:
    When searching i found this link from 2014 from a Mod posted in 2010.  Perhaps this will explain it better according to WGT.

Pretty much why I had asked the question myself. I use miss-ding/off-ding probably more than 50% on my putting and I was concerned with new putters with higher forgiveness would just put the ball back on line, which would throw me off. As far as the ball travelling the correct distance, I still don't see "balance" in a virtual putter having an effect. I can get the ball just as close from 50 ft using a starter putter as I can using any putter. That's just from knowing the green speeds, and calculations needed for distance.

phred952:
     I'm not a great player, and I'll never be one of those top money leaders you talk about.

Me neither phred. I'm nowhere near a great player. I have a decent idea of what to do, and how to do it and it's up to execution after that. 

I hate that this thread got off-track. 

• cadornette
    319 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 1:26 PM

Really, huh? I only got a couple of good answers. Either way, it would be fun to watch a match between the Kings of Putting. ha. Your advice help me though. I bought the level 92 Spider Putter. Let's see how that balance increment helps-or not- my skills on the green. Cheers bud., Talk soon.

jayw4862:
    I hate that this thread got off-track. 

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 1:28 PM

MrFunnyWobbl:
    I still use your putting method from that video with the aim points that relate to the putting box. Helped my putting a ton, not that it doesn't still need work. 

Thanks. I'd forgotten about that video. I think I was just going through the different putting techniques phase at the time. 

If your putting still needs some work, try this technique:

(PS..Icon claims it doesn't work, but he's just mad because I won't tell him the secret distance formula)

Putting 

• pmm711
    5,516 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 1:30 PM

phred952:

When searching i found this link from 2014 from a Mod posted in 2010.  Perhaps this will explain it better according to WGT.  Scroll down to the 5th post to see what i mean: 

244158.aspx

Phred,

I am posting that explanation here from that link you gave out (for the lazy folks on here). 

I'd love to know what happened to WGTniv as he offered sound advice that I think more mods should do today.

Paul

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 2:08 PM

I'm probably crazy for chiming in on this, cuz somebody is going to bash, either my idea, or my grammer, but here goes.  Forgiveness in your clubs, vs balance is relatively simple.  Forgiveness is in the meter and whether or not you hit the ding,  more forgiveness allows you to miss it by a certain percentage, and still maintain your speed and target line.  Balance is how square your club face remains on target by the amount of your missed meter ding.  In real life , if your hands are behind your hips during impact you push your ball, ( impact point being the ding on meter) opposite if your early. This is why nonprofessional golfers cannot use blade irons, and big name companies make millions of dollars producing and marketing  irons with tons of forgiveness for missed hits. The truer your club face stays to your target, the better the shot.  We all should know through all our mathematical equations that we use here, that if your off just a 1/16 of an inch on a putt, you may miss by 3 inches, but that same 1/16 of an inch, (on the meter ding) will be maybe 70 feet on a 300 yard drive, multiply your error.  So, by using a putter, or any club for that matter, good forgives and good balance equals the playing field for all players, good or bad.  But beware, the more forgiveness can make you get lazy on your shots, which may make you feel that your clubs are letting you down!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 2:19 PM

4 years later WGTIcon offered up this take on balance............

" balance on putters refers to the ability to stand on line over the putts length. it works better on longer putts, say 30-60+ft where you have to travel a long distance. more balance means higher chance that it will stay online. we are likely talking maybe 1-3" (my guess) over 50ft, so it'll be impossible to READ that, but that's what it offers."

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/259534.aspx

• pmm711
    5,516 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 2:30 PM

YankeeJim:

4 years later WGTIcon offered up this take on balance............

" balance on putters refers to the ability to stand on line over the putts length. it works better on longer putts, say 30-60+ft where you have to travel a long distance. more balance means higher chance that it will stay online. we are likely talking maybe 1-3" (my guess) over 50ft, so it'll be impossible to READ that, but that's what it offers."

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/259534.aspx

Interesting little read

• Berto057
    219 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 2:31 PM

cadornette:

...  When I first started using it, I couldn't stop making great putts. No matter if I even missed the ding, the ball always took the correct path. Since last month, I don't feel the same I used to feel before. 

I took this (italicized) to be the crux of his question.  And yes, I think WGT has been tweaking the impact of precision and forgiveness throughout the club set, resulting in the spate of WTH shots being reported throughout these forums.

Call it rub of the green...

Cheers, --Berto

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 4:29 PM

Similar points by 2 different mods, but exactly the same.  Thanks for the info Jim.

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Sun, Feb 26 2017 6:46 PM

now if I could figure out that extra foot thats been messing me up for a year

RSS